September 12, 2011 7:01:05 AM

My Hardware:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W
AMD Phenom II Quad 3.4 ghz
Galaxy Geforce 465 GTX 1024MB
RipjawsX 8 Gig Ram
MSi 870A-G45

My Issue:

I've been sort of paranoid about my new computer, and was noticing some performance issues (certain times the computer drops in performance, I think that it might not be performing as good as the hardware should be, but that could just be paranoia.) I'm rather suspicious about the wiring in the building (with my AC on, sometimes it'll cause the lights in my room to flicker for a second.) I got Speedfan, and noticed that my Vcore's fluctuation was between:

Min: 0.98v
Max: 1.39v

Now, I hear that it can fluctuation, but only 5%. This seems like significance dips in power and I want to hear what you guys think.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 11:41:29 AM

Isn't that the AMD TurboBoost-esque feature thingy? Sorry, not so hot with AMD chips, so this may be completely wrong, but...

Intel chips, when the system is idling, run at a 'base' frequency...my system idles at 1.6GHz, for instance. Then, when it needs to work hard, the chip can go up to 3.7GHz. The voltage varies accordingly. To check this, download CPU-Z and Prime95. Load CPU-Z and see what frequency and voltage your CPU idles at. Then fire up Prime95 (which maxes out your CPU) and see if the change in CPU-Z matches what Speedfan as been telling you.

As for your AC source, get a decent surge protector. Problem solved.
September 12, 2011 11:55:59 AM

surge protectors do only what their name suggests, protect from surges. if you want a reliable ac source you would need a power conditioner, or you can just go off of a UPS. but any decently build power supply including corsairs enthusiast line already have a power conditioner built in.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:14:10 PM

farrengottu said:
surge protectors do only what their name suggests, protect from surges. if you want a reliable ac source you would need a power conditioner, or you can just go off of a UPS. but any decently build power supply including corsairs enthusiast line already have a power conditioner built in.

+1 to you, sir.
!