Sign in with
Your question

Old system Dies, new system suggestions

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2011 3:42:46 AM

Hey all, i'm looking for suggestions to either upgrade my PC or repair my old one again.
My PC died, Twice. i'm reluctant to repair it again in case it has the same problem.

Original Configuration and problems as follows:

Processor: Intel E6400 @ 3.0Ghz (OC)
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme (the original LGA775 Striker)
RAM: Twin 2x Corsair 6400-C4 PRO (2 x 1Gb sticks)
Graphics Card: XFX Geforce 8800GTX (yeah, the $1,000 one)
Case: Thermaltake Armor LCS (built in liquid cooling
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 (750w)
Cooling: Standard with Case (liquid cooling - TT bigwater 850i)

Had nothing but trouble with the RAM, had to return the first pair because they only worked when OC'd - stock timings of 800 and lower gave blue screens with Vista (Memory_Management) setting anything above 800Mhz, even 801 and it didn't happen

The new pair worked fine.

The computer worked for a long time, no noteworthy glitches, until recently, my daughter decided it was fun to play with the power button since the computer made noises and had a lot of flashy lights when it was pressed repeatedly... for a while anyway. needless to say that it didn't work hte next day.

i took it to a computer store to diagnose the problem, they put a multimeter on the power supply, and said it was working fine, tried CPU RAM and Video in another MB, and it worked so we assumed that the MB was dead.
i got another MB (ASUS P5G41C-M LX), reinserted everything, and it worked.

for about 2 months.

one night, i loaded up Dragon Age, and noticed the computer was running slowly, and i couldn't select most of the higher settings, and the textures seemed like they were from quake :( 
restarted and the computer was back to normal.
shut it down, and when i went to power it up the next morning, it didn't even post.

No beep codes, no video output. Fans work, water pump works.

Tried removing video card and using the inbuilt GPU
Disconnected reset SW
Tried removing RAM, and it didn't even give me a beep...
got Power Supply tested again, and it came out OK

I'm wondering if it IS the MB again, and if so why. i could try another MB, but it seems suspicious that two MB died so close together. I'm wondering if it could be the PSU failing under pressure? or just bad luck?
Suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternateively i'm looking at upgrading, and hopefully it will solve the problem once and for all.

Approximate Purchase Date: After Tax return (end July/August)

Budget Range: Soft target of under $1,000 AUD can be flexaible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Transcoding (Dual audio and video streams, subs), web surfing, Hobby Programming (game mods, databases etc. mostly text based (compressable) data)

Parts Not Required: Everythig outside case, case, video card, Hard Drives, Power Supply (Mayyyyyybe)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Staticice (staticice.com.au)
Techbuy (Techbuy.com.au)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Asus, Intel, nVidia

Overclocking: Yes / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1680x1050 (for some 3Dvision titles)

Additional Comments: I want to keep the same case, which has LCS built in. Most apps i do are more CPU intensive than GPU, and the GPU handles everything i throw at it so far, so no need to upgrade that.
i'm looking for a system that won't be a "throwaway" in less than 3-4 years at the very least, preferably being able to be upgraded later (if it doesn't die)

i was looking at asus Sabertooth P67, however, with the Z68 chipset comming out, its looking more and more appealing, with the feature list. not to mention with the inbuilt GPU i could use it as a HTPC if i do ever upgrade again...

Essentially i'm looking at:

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM - 9-11-9-27 - HyperX T1 Series

Intel Core i5 2500K

ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard
or
ASUS Sabertooth P67 Motherboard

suggestions?
June 17, 2011 6:34:24 AM

why don't you buy a Intel original board. Intel original boards have lasted forever for me and my friends. Asus boards are full of problems. i am currently experiencing such a problem with Asus and the RMA was rejected. I will never buy an Asus product again.
m
l
June 17, 2011 4:34:26 PM

I would try a Different PSU. I still have a striker II extreme in another gaming machine, I've had it for over three years. I have 5 machines with ASUS boards and have had no problems.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2011 4:38:52 PM

I'm super happy with my Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3. Had Asus and gigabyte mobos for years and never had any problems. The Sabertooth was really easy to setup and it freaking looks badass inside my case. I added a 50mm assist fan to it to help with cooling. 2500K is super processor..i love it.
m
l
June 25, 2011 6:29:32 AM

okay then.
another question,
i've heard the sabertooth with the heat shield may have compromised airflow since i'm using Water Cooling. Cerealkiller talks about an assist fan, is that an extra one in the case (my case has 2,2,1 (front,back,top, plus the on in the PSU) 240mm already) or is it an extra one attached to the Mobo itself?

and while i'm on it, any suggestiong on PSU? i'm looking at just running my 8800GTX (2xPCIe 6-pin) for a while yet, but it was a power hog when it came out... probably going something like 590 when (if) it drops in price a bit...
m
l
!