Pci card not detected

Alan62

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I've built a PC to use as a set top box and it works okay. I decided to change the case for a different one that fits better where we've placed it.
I bought a new case with a power pack and transferred all the components from the other PC. It booted up and worked okay but the TV tuner card in the PCI slot wasn't detected. I have a satellite card so tried that but it wasn't found automatically or manually. There's two PCI slots and neither card works in either slots.
I put everything back in the old case and it works fine.
I got a new power pack and tried again but the cards in each of the PCI slots weren't found.
The only things I've changed are the case and power unit.
There's nothing under the motherboard to short it out.
Windows 7 is the OS with Windows Media Centre, the mother board is Gigabyte.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, can't see what else to try.
--
Alan

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Are you sure there is nothing under the board like an extra brass standoff where there is no hole on the motherboard all it takes is 1.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
1) How do the PSUs compare in terms of power and voltage? There's an outside chance that the new ones aren't powerful enough (although this is unlikely)

2) Double check you're not shorting anything

3) Double check that everything is connected up correctly onto the motherboard with the new PSU

What's the motherboard model number?

Alan62

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for the responses, appreciate the help.
The first PSU was larger, the second was slightly smaller in out put.
There's 5 brass supports in the new case and 6 in the old. Each one is clear of the printed circuits and there's nothing else underneath.
There's only two main power connections to the mother board, these are both okay, the rest are to the 'F panel' and are different because the new case doesn't have infrared capabilities, but all the connections are made. Wonder if one of these was the wron way round? Wouldn't have thought it could make a difference could it? The 'F panel' is for switches and indicators?
I'll take photos and post them, make take a couple of days, can't interfere with the wifes soaps.
--
Alan

Latest posts