Sign in with
Your question

X79 sabertooth troubles

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2012 10:43:33 PM

I recently purchased a new rig setup. I have an intel i7 3930k, an asus x79 sabertooth (2011 chipset), corsair vengeance 1600 (4x8gb), 2x OCZ vertex plus 120gb ssd, a corsair h80 cooler, corsair AX850w psu and sapphire radeon HD 7970.

Try to put it all together and I can't get the stupid thing to do anything right. It doesn't register the whole ram, acknowledges there are ssd drives but will not read...try to boot it up and I get overclocking failed, but there is no OC. Try to install WinXP and it crashes. I get a blue screen saying that it may be corrupt and i should go through the drive for viruses, etc. I tried installing the drivers for it to register the ssd. i can't even begin to list everything I have tried on this configuration. I have tried swapping out the ram, tried the video card, removed raid cards, swapped out ssd for hdd, switched from ahci to ide, changed ram settings, etc. closest I have gotten so far is changing to ide, managed to boot into windows on a different drive and tried to install drivers to bring it up to SP2, then got a hiccup and can't seem to load SP2.

not sure what the hell happened, but right now it's trying to load windows to the SSD and I don't know what I did. Any help you can offer would be great. this is the second attempt at a new system in the last month. last time I had a p9x79 board and vengeance blue ram, but had a lot of overheat issues with the board and ram and had to RMA them. but same issues as I am having now.

rose
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 1:17:29 AM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

I have the same MOBO but I haven't tried XP, and for XP to install you must use XP SP2 or SP3; older versions of XP lack SATA support. Further, clearly with >4GB you would need a copy of XP 64-bit, but XP 64-bit IMO is a complete nightmare.

Instead I would use Windows 7 Professional 64-bit which includes a free download for 'XP Mode' (if needed) but is limited to 32-bit (i.e. <4GB); see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

Windows 8 Preview is also available to 'try' ; info -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/16-73-windows-consume... and Latest Preview download -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-pr...

---

Installing OS with Windows 7:
Guide installing Windows 7 (best installed as specified) -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...

4x8GB Corsair BIOS settings prior to installation:

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 / CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 10-10-10-27-2N @ 1.50v

XMP Method:
BIOS: (no guarantees, but easiest)
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1

/option that add stability:
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test with DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS PRE -> 10
DRAM RAS ACT -> 27
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

--

CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v

XMP Method:
BIOS: (no guarantees, but easiest)
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1

/option that add stability:

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test with DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

m
l
June 9, 2012 12:39:05 AM

Its not a matter of "I would suggest using this OS" its "he is using the OS, hands down". We got the os to install, but now are having problems with it running. It keeps giving overclock errors, and we never oc'd the machine. It gives read errors and crashes. It has problems writing to the ssd. It acts like its not fast enough for the ssd to register or something...not sure what to do with it. Its giving me a headache. The ram wouldn't work in the suggested slots so we put it in the other slots and filled the suggested slots with a different compatible ram. System registers both sets in the machine. Still having issues.
m
l
!