Should not buy AMD over Intel?

Is there any reason, why I should not buy AMD over Intel.

(Sandy Bridge-E - $294 -Core i7-3820 coming in November or existing model). I don't realy want to pay over $350 for CPU.

Would be there better AMD version than Core i7-3820?

Will be used for heavy Photoshop and HD video use. Now it is running 20hrs a day on C2D E6750.

I assume there will be considerable time cut. Or should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?

Just wondering....

Absolutely don't care about benchmarks scores, just real speed. Will OC some...

Thanx

Solution

You can see how well numerous processors from both do on Photoshop here...

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002

You can see how well numerous processors from both do on Photoshop here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/15

And there are video encoding tests here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/16

I suggest comparing how well the various processors do on tasks you use against the current prices for each chip, to see which is the best for your usage model.

Solution
According to today's article, few applications can really benefit from the additional cores.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi nikorr :hello: . Well it's plain & simple. ;) Just wait for the reviews to come out on the bulldozer by AMD. ;) If they turn out to perform well,then go ahead & buy. :pt1cable: If they don't turn out any good & the bulldozer will likely run out of diesel early,then you'll just have to buy good old Intel. :sol:

I know, but AMD looks to be 1 or 2 generations behind of what Intel does. For CPU intensive tasks it does.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is one of the best overall processors that we have put out in both price vs. performance and in overall performance. For new gaming computer today I wouldnt even come close to buying anything else. Matched up with a good P67 or Z68 board and you have a outstanding system before you even overclock it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

There are only two chip I think are worth it above $80-$120. At least if your buying today.

1) The Amd's X6-1090T. Fast, unlocked muliplier, and AMD flexibility for future drop in replacement. Can be had for $170 US, out the door. Great product and price.

2) From intel, the I5-2500K. At $220, its no more than 15 percent slower than any chip at any price. Also with unlocked multiplier.

I think these are the two best values EVER at those price points.

If not one of those, than just get an Athlon X4 for a hundred bucks or wait for Sandy Bridge E and Bulldozer as their launch will almost certainly bring price drops.

Thanx every one, it looks like gamer is the only one that will really benefit from SB-E due to its PCI support, no USB3 yet and it was actually slower in video tasks than 2600K.

It looks good for 2600K, I guess. When the "Bulldozer" reviews will be out? If they, AMD want to sell next month or so, they better spice up the market with some reviews and more info.

"That places it squarely in the range of Intel’s unlocked Core i7-2600K quad-core, which means that reviewers will no doubt pit the two against one another when testing the new AMD CPU. Will the four additional cores translate to enough extra performance to compete effectively with the top Sandy Bridge to date? We still don’t know core clock speeds, but AMD is apparently working to make sure that applications can start taking advantage of all eight cores.

Is $320 the right price for this forthcoming AMD eight-core CPU?"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/amd-reveals-pricing-for-eight-core-bulldozer-processor-320/6098