Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should not buy AMD over Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 11:08:23 AM

Is there any reason, why I should not buy AMD over Intel.

(Sandy Bridge-E - $294 -Core i7-3820 coming in November or existing model). I don't realy want to pay over $350 for CPU.

Would be there better AMD version than Core i7-3820?

Will be used for heavy Photoshop and HD video use. Now it is running 20hrs a day on C2D E6750.

I assume there will be considerable time cut. Or should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?

Just wondering....

Absolutely don't care about benchmarks scores, just real speed. Will OC some...



Thanx

More about : buy amd intel

Best solution

September 12, 2011 12:06:14 PM
Share

nikorr said:
Is there any reason, why I should not buy AMD over Intel.

(Sandy Bridge-E - $294 -Core i7-3820 coming in November or existing model). I don't realy want to pay over $350 for CPU.

Would be there better AMD version than Core i7-3820?

Will be used for heavy Photoshop and HD video use. Now it is running 20hrs a day on C2D E6750.

I assume there will be considerable time cut. Or should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?

Just wondering....

Absolutely don't care about benchmarks scores, just real speed. Will OC some...



Thanx

You can see how well numerous processors from both do on Photoshop here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/15

And there are video encoding tests here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/16

I suggest comparing how well the various processors do on tasks you use against the current prices for each chip, to see which is the best for your usage model.
a c 93 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 12, 2011 12:34:09 PM

Performance = Intel
Price = AMD

For your requirements, I think a high end AMD Phenon II X4 + lots of memory, will give you a good balance
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:34:11 PM

Thanx, I am familiar with that. But I was hoping for more on new arrival ofSandy Bridge-E.

And also some info on "should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?"

Thanx sonoran
a c 101 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 12, 2011 12:38:41 PM

nikorr said:
Thanx, I am familiar with that. But I was hoping for more on new arrival ofSandy Bridge-E.

And also some info on "should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?"

Thanx sonoran
According to today's article, few applications can really benefit from the additional cores.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:41:01 PM

Well, from the article published today on this site, SB-E didn't seem worth its price tag versus the i7-2600 - or the AMD X6, which is a lot cheaper.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:49:51 PM

Thanx,

reading the article now...
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:52:17 PM

GhislainG said:
According to today's article, few applications can really benefit from the additional cores.




I hope that will change, at least for power hungry apps like photo,video,3D graphics.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 2:11:55 PM

If you can wait, wait till bulldozer comes out and you get more information.
If you cant, 2500k is the best option right now.
September 12, 2011 2:21:33 PM

nikorr said:
Is there any reason, why I should not buy AMD over Intel.

(Sandy Bridge-E - $294 -Core i7-3820 coming in November or existing model). I don't realy want to pay over $350 for CPU.

Would be there better AMD version than Core i7-3820?

Will be used for heavy Photoshop and HD video use. Now it is running 20hrs a day on C2D E6750.

I assume there will be considerable time cut. Or should I go with 6 core $583 (Core i7-3930K)? Are there apps that will or can use 6cores?

Just wondering....

Absolutely don't care about benchmarks scores, just real speed. Will OC some...



Thanx

Hi nikorr :hello:  . Well it's plain & simple. ;)  Just wait for the reviews to come out on the bulldozer by AMD. ;)  If they turn out to perform well,then go ahead & buy. :pt1cable:  If they don't turn out any good & the bulldozer will likely run out of diesel early,then you'll just have to buy good old Intel. :sol: 
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:33:22 PM

cats_Paw said:
If you can wait, wait till bulldozer comes out and you get more information.
If you cant, 2500k is the best option right now.


Yes, I am waiting. I do like that 2600K and I'm not sure if I want to wait any longer :) 
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:39:00 PM

Wish I Was Wealthy said:
Hi nikorr :hello:  . Well it's plain & simple. ;)  Just wait for the reviews to come out on the bulldozer by AMD. ;)  If they turn out to perform well,then go ahead & buy. :pt1cable:  If they don't turn out any good & the bulldozer will likely run out of diesel early,then you'll just have to buy good old Intel. :sol: 




I know, but AMD looks to be 1 or 2 generations behind of what Intel does. For CPU intensive tasks it does.


a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 12, 2011 5:39:14 PM

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is one of the best overall processors that we have put out in both price vs. performance and in overall performance. For new gaming computer today I wouldnt even come close to buying anything else. Matched up with a good P67 or Z68 board and you have a outstanding system before you even overclock it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 7:43:41 PM

If you can't afford a i5-2500k then buy a AMD Phenom and use the money saved to buy a better graphics card if you are a gamer.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
September 12, 2011 11:53:52 PM

Honestly, and coming from a THuban user, the SB-E's kick amd's butt in rendering and transcoding. I am likely to jump ship myself once someone comes out with a chipset that supports USB3 in addition to the 40 lanes of pcie.
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2011 1:38:52 AM

Get a Phenom II x6 1100T for only $180 and overclock it to 4.0 ghz. For the type of programs you're running, the more cores, the better.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
September 14, 2011 12:28:11 AM

The 1055T overclocks to 4ghz also, why do you recommend the top of the line?
The extra $40 could be spent on an aftermarket cooler.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 1:04:20 AM

There are only two chip I think are worth it above $80-$120. At least if your buying today.

1) The Amd's X6-1090T. Fast, unlocked muliplier, and AMD flexibility for future drop in replacement. Can be had for $170 US, out the door. Great product and price.

2) From intel, the I5-2500K. At $220, its no more than 15 percent slower than any chip at any price. Also with unlocked multiplier.

I think these are the two best values EVER at those price points.

If not one of those, than just get an Athlon X4 for a hundred bucks or wait for Sandy Bridge E and Bulldozer as their launch will almost certainly bring price drops.

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 7:11:16 AM

Thanx every one, it looks like gamer is the only one that will really benefit from SB-E due to its PCI support, no USB3 yet and it was actually slower in video tasks than 2600K.

It looks good for 2600K, I guess. When the "Bulldozer" reviews will be out? If they, AMD want to sell next month or so, they better spice up the market with some reviews and more info.


"That places it squarely in the range of Intel’s unlocked Core i7-2600K quad-core, which means that reviewers will no doubt pit the two against one another when testing the new AMD CPU. Will the four additional cores translate to enough extra performance to compete effectively with the top Sandy Bridge to date? We still don’t know core clock speeds, but AMD is apparently working to make sure that applications can start taking advantage of all eight cores.

Is $320 the right price for this forthcoming AMD eight-core CPU?"


http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/amd-reveals-pricing...
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2011 12:24:13 PM

2600K is the winner.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2011 12:26:47 PM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
!