CPU hierarchy wanted, from pentium 4 upwards

G

hi

could anyone compile a list for me

I'm buying a PC off ebay and trying to decide which CPU is the better one

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Going on Intel website just tells us all of their cpus are the best that ever existed but there is no hierarchy at all. In fact they want you to buy their most expensive cpus even tho they are far outdated.

G

okay, what's the cheapest CPU that would run high end games ???

General Desktop CPU hierarchy
2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors (includes Intel Core i7, i5, i3, Pentium®, and Celeron®)
1st generation Intel Core processors (includes Intel Core i7, i5, i3, Pentium®, and Celeron®)
Intel Core processors (including the Intel Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, Pentium, and Celeron processors)
Intel Processors with the NetBurst® architecture (Intel Pentium D, Intel Pentium 4, Intel Celeron)
There is a little overlap with the high end outperforming the low end of the processor family above it. Now if you are looking for more specific information on one processor vs. another you will have to look at some of the benchmarks that our out there.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

okay, what's the cheapest CPU that would run high end games ???

Gaming is essentially dependent 1/3 CPU to 2/3 video card.

The overall system (CPU, RAMs, HDD) simply has to be fast enough to keep the video card 'loaded'.

The performance of the video card is generally related to your game settings (low, medium, high, ultra), anti-aliasing (AA) and/or anisotropic filtering (AF), lighting/shadows, and screen resolution.

This, of course, varies by game and game engine.

With us, so far?

And though you are looking for a complete system purchase (I assume), it might help for you to list read and post for us the THG *How To Ask For New Build Advice* questions. The budget, monitor resolution, and any parts you may have being the most pertinent. And ...

Welcome to Tom's! :hello: