ASUS P9X79 DELUXE won't enter setup

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello Friends,
I'm a little desperate here. I bought the following PC and built it by myself (it's not my first build, but the first with some new elements, such as SDD):

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
INTEL CORE I7 3820
16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-14900 RipjawsZ Series for Intel X79 (9-10-9-28) Quad Channel kit 4x4GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB
Corsair Hydro Series H100
2 of Corsair Force 3 90 GB SATA III/6G SATA 6.0 Gb
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200
Microsoft Wireless 5000 USB

Well, after some issues with the mother card (not enough power, forgot to connect some pins) and with CPU over temperature (used wrong screws for h100), i turned on the PC and everything was working fine, at last. But then...

1 - The first ASUS screen loads. I hit delete on my keyboard, but the setup won't show up.
2 - There's a second screen for the Marvell controller (i connected the wd hd to this one with a 6 GB cable from the MOBO manufacturer), saying that the drive is unconfigured and asking me to press ctrl+M to enter setup (doesn't work) or space to continue
3 - A third screen Appears, properly detecting my memory, my CPU, my wireless USB (mouse and keyboard) and both of my SSD. Below, there's the following information:

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting
Press F1 to run SETUP.

I press F1 and nothing happens. The keyboard works, since ctrl+alt+del also works. And i'm stuck on this screen.

I already tried:

1 - Flashing the BIOS: the update was successful, but the problem continued. I updated the MOBO to the BIOS revision 1103
2 - Disconnecting all the sata devices to try to access the setup. Didn't work either.
3 - Disconnecting only the WD HD and trying to get into the setup screen
4 - Connecting my usb to one of the ports with Windows Installation Files

I'm a little stuck now and i really don't know what to do =/ Can anyone help me?

Solution
SATA -> RAID must be done before prior to installing the OS with any RAID now or in the future, and on X79 I only recommend SATA -> RAID to insure the Intel RSTE drivers install properly. In my case I duh simply forgot because I use a single SSD for boot and RAID 1 HDD for data; forget after the fact!

First, I set the RAM to XMP and made certain the RAM and CPU were stable i.e. Memtest. Next, if you want to install ANY RAID then Intel SATA -> RAID, save and exit. Hold the Ctrl + I to access the Intel Rapid Storage Enterprise ... SATA ROM. For RAID 0 I recommend a 128K Stripe, then save the RAID configuration through ... will erase dialogue.

Only connect the boot (RAID) drives, and unplug all other SATA ports.

Now you're ready to...

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

But the CTRL+ALT+DEL command is working.

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

No, it is working on the same screen where I press F1 to enter the SETUP

I would agree to use a different keyboard <or> make certain it's connected to a Black USB 2.0 port and not a blue USB 3.0 port which will not work until the OS is loaded.

Ideally, it's always a good idea to have a cheapo (simple) keyboard -- a PS/2 keyboard is ideal. On my X79 my keyboard works fine in the BIOS but my matching mouse will not work (I have other mice that do work if need).

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Well, i can try that. But the problem is that when my PC gets to the "Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. Press F1 to run SETUP." and i press CTRL+ALT+DEL it works.
The keyboard is connected to a Black USB 2.0 port.
Even by knowing this, it could still be a keyboard issue?

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

F lock. I was trying to configure the PC after 12 hours of work and a back pain. Didn't find the fn key on the keyboard =/

togatheone

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I went to a LOT of forums. Once i even bought the wrong processor (wrong socket). I saw one guide you wrote for common problems while building desktops with this MOBO. I'll go for RAID 0 with two SSDs. And i already know the pain it'll offer.
Did you configured the SATA before or after the OS install?

SATA -> RAID must be done before prior to installing the OS with any RAID now or in the future, and on X79 I only recommend SATA -> RAID to insure the Intel RSTE drivers install properly. In my case I duh simply forgot because I use a single SSD for boot and RAID 1 HDD for data; forget after the fact!

First, I set the RAM to XMP and made certain the RAM and CPU were stable i.e. Memtest. Next, if you want to install ANY RAID then Intel SATA -> RAID, save and exit. Hold the Ctrl + I to access the Intel Rapid Storage Enterprise ... SATA ROM. For RAID 0 I recommend a 128K Stripe, then save the RAID configuration through ... will erase dialogue.

Only connect the boot (RAID) drives, and unplug all other SATA ports.

Now you're ready to follow this Guide -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume-sleep-booted-raid#t2068879

Solution