Nevets13267

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My phenom x925 (2.8) reports on windows 7 64 as 2.2 I have a MSI 880gm-41e motherboard and in the bios when set to auto it sets the multiplier at 11. I can manually set it to 14 and it reports as 2.8 but this is my first AMD build and I guess I am spoiled by Intel in that I dont want to have to do that. I just want it to be right. Any Suggestions. yes I have the latest BIOS.

Solution

What I told you before was out of experience. I had the same problem with my Foxconn A79A-S motherboard and my Phenom II 940 BE. I kept my BIOS though and just changed the multiplier manually because my BIOS update included a feature I wanted. Your new BIOS update is useless from the notes on MSI's website so you have the luxury of choosing to downgrade to the BIOS...
disable Coolin & quite, AMD C1E options from you're BIOS options and you'll be able to run the CPU at full speed, AMD cooling & quite option is reducing the Core speed and Voltage while the system is IDLE to reduce heat and system power consumption

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

then in this case set it to 14 then as it means 14x200=2800mhz then boot up into windows and check using cpu-z if the frequency is 2800ish under load and 800mhz idle if this is the case then its all fixed, its just some motherboards "auto" isnt really auto and you might have to correct it thats all

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

I agree with this statement. You're not spoiled by Intel, this issue has existed before in an Intel BIOS as well. The problem is exactly as megadelayed explained. Sometimes the BIOS doesn't detect/set the default multiplier of the CPU properly. The latest BIOS for your board is completely useless as it's only purpose was to add a warning message the first boot after your CPU has been chagned. Downgrade to the previous version of BIOS to see if it fixes the issue or just set the multiplier manually if you'd rather. Don't disable Cool N' Quiet

Spoiled by Intel? LOL Thanks for the laugh, but you don't have to do that on AMD either.

Likely your cpu is overheating, and throttling itself down to a lower mulitiplier.

Nevets13267

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
No CPU is not overheating, checked that. Even if that were true it wouldnt be overheating during a could boot and straight into the BIOS where it reports multiplier is 11. It may be be the BIOS version. I do remember it reporting correctly at 2.8 after first built (about 2 weeks ago) and I did flash the Bios but cant remember checking it right after Flashing it.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

What I told you before was out of experience. I had the same problem with my Foxconn A79A-S motherboard and my Phenom II 940 BE. I kept my BIOS though and just changed the multiplier manually because my BIOS update included a feature I wanted. Your new BIOS update is useless from the notes on MSI's website so you have the luxury of choosing to downgrade to the BIOS update before or to just manually change the multiplier.

Solution

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
The 925 is not a Black Edition processor so it'll be more complicated than just changing the multiplier, you'd have to raise FSB, lower memory multiplier, and raise NB voltage just sightly, if you don't want to mess with that or don't need any of the features uin the new BIOS then it'd be best that you just revert it to previous version.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Non-BE cpu's can't have their multipliers raised past the cpu's default limit, in this case being 14, but non-BE cpu's can have their multipliers manually lowered. The BIOS lowers the multiplier to 11, but he can still increase it back to 14 and no higher. He doesn't have to overclock back to default frequency. He can still manually raise the multiplier back to 14. OP even states so in the first post.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

by any chance did you select the change to optimised defaults after flashing your bios as sometimes it might be a dodgy default value and as i said just crank up the multiplier to 14 if you want 2.8 and leave everything else as yo do NOT need to increase voltage if its the stock speed you are trying to achieve make sure tho the base clock is at 200, if its not stable then its just a dodgy cpu or you might just be really unlucky and have one of those bad ones

machvelocy

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

if default bios settings doesnt work, my guess is on the catalyst driver...
check the catalyst / vision control center, on the cpu power section. is the frequency range set to the max?
this was actually a nice feature from amd, where we can set min-max frequency range (800, 1600, 2200, max)
cccg.jpg

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

the op did mention that he could get his cpu to run at 2.8 after he changed the multi to the default 14 so i dont think it is the problem with the catalist as the op might just have a weird defaults but its still a good idea to check tho just in case

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Glad we could help. I've dealt with the same problem many many times before, more with my job that personally though, and as soon as I read the first line of your original post I already knew the solution lol. And don't fret, it took me a while to figure it out the first time too. Updating BIOS has become so much like a habit to me that sometimes I forget I just updated BIOS lol. Makes some issues a pain in the @ss I tell you.