Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6950 1GB Triple Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 4, 2011 1:35:52 PM

Hi Friends,

My current pc is
-----------------
Athlon64 dualcore 2.5GHZ
2gb 666mhz ddr2 ram
Sapphire 5850 1gb ram
500gb western digital sata2 5200rpm
standard 450watt psu (cheap 10$)
22inch viewsonic LED 1920x1080p
------------------


I'm building a system soon, here are the specs.
-------------------------------------
Phenom 2 1100T x6 3.3GHZ(3.8 turbo)
Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5 quad crossfire motherboard
4gb 1600mhz cosair ddr3 memory
Benq M2700HD 27inch lcd 1920x1080p resolution max
120GB SSD cosair drive (OS and trading software)
2TB seagate 5900RPM sata3 1TBx2 partitions(Games and Data)
Cooler master N620 dual fan cpu cooler
Antec Full-tower twelve hundred model cabinet (3 front, 2 back, 1side and 1 top fans)
Antec tpq-1200 1.2kWatt PSU
------------------------------------

I just have a question... I want to put three 6950 1gb cards in a triple crossfire configuration.

My motherboard will have two x16 pci express slots and one x8 and one x4 and it can support upto quad cards.

So im very new to crossfire setup as this is going to be my 1st pc upgrade in three years.

Can i run sapphire 6950 1gb cards in a triple crossfire configuration?

Is there any review already been done on performance and statistics with these cards in triple configuration?

Do i need to put crossfire bridge cable for all these 3 cards?

Anything else i need to know ?

Thanks a lot!
April 4, 2011 1:47:21 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4254/triplegpu-performanc...
three 6970s...

oh and dont use 1 gig models, you'll really need the 2gigs of vram to 'fully' use performance potential the cards have, and at only 1080 you'll be wasting a lot of it
anyways, get 3 monitors for eyefinity to get the most out of them

edit and might be worth it to wait for the bulldozers
April 4, 2011 1:48:26 PM

"Can i run sapphire 6950 1gb cards in a triple crossfire configuration?"

The answer is yes you can but the temps are going to be seriously high! Also you really do not need more than 2 6950's because if your thinking about future "next gen" graphics that will test your system then you will be disappointed. All promising games like Skyrim, Crysis ect. will not benefit fully from direct x 11 and tessellation.
Related resources
April 4, 2011 1:49:05 PM

ndsouz said:
Do i need to put crossfire bridge cable for all these 3 cards?



Yes, the bridges are included with the graphics cards in the box.

ndsouz said:
Anything else i need to know ?



Change that 1100T to a 1090T, there is no significant difference in performance.

Get 8GB of 1333MHz memory rather than 4GB of 1600MHz, they should be roughly the same price.

OCZ Vertex2, Intel, and Crucial C300 drives are the best of SSDs.

I recommend Western Digital and Samsung HD103SJ over Seagate, certainly. No relative performance loss if you opt for SATA2.
April 4, 2011 2:20:05 PM

Kari said:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4254/triplegpu-performanc...
three 6970s...

oh and dont use 1 gig models, you'll really need the 2gigs of vram to 'fully' use performance potential the cards have, and at only 1080 you'll be wasting a lot of it
anyways, get 3 monitors for eyefinity to get the most out of them

edit and might be worth it to wait for the bulldozers


The reason i went for 1GB model is because it saves me enough money on two cards so i could buy even a 3rd one, that would make up for the 2gb ram as now i have 3 physical GPU's and 3gigs in total

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&...

The top link is the model. Also this specific 1gig sapphire 6950 model has an open floating shroud, so its open on all four sides for good airflow since crossfire might make it cramped. I also like the fan that's placed directly on top of GPU... so i think these cards would run cool due to the special sapphires design.
April 4, 2011 2:23:24 PM

ndsouz said:
The reason i went for 1GB model is because it saves me enough money on two cards so i could buy even a 3rd one, that would make up for the 2gb ram as now i have 3 physical GPU's and 3gigs in total.
The Vram on the cards isn't added up in multigpu setups, each card will have the exact same stuff in their rams, so you will still have only 1 gig of usable vram for the game to use.


bottom line: it's utter waste to make 3way xfire with 1 gig cards and use it with a single 1080 monitor. Dont do it.
April 4, 2011 2:27:39 PM

for 1080p that is rediculous, even 2 6950s would be overkill but if you want to spend 600+ on gpus and get minimum fps in the 30s- and 40-s (a product by nature of a dual card config) be my guest. Imo you are much better off with a single 6970 or gtx 580 for a single 1080p monitor hell even a single 6950 or gtx 570. Furthermore it would be a dumb move to get the 1 gig models for crossfire. Go with a single powerful setup and do some more research about crossfire before getting yourself involved.
April 4, 2011 2:30:18 PM

omnisome said:
Yes, the bridges are included with the graphics cards in the box.




Change that 1100T to a 1090T, there is no significant difference in performance.

Get 8GB of 1333MHz memory rather than 4GB of 1600MHz, they should be roughly the same price.

OCZ Vertex2, Intel, and Crucial C300 drives are the best of SSDs.

I recommend Western Digital and Samsung HD103SJ over Seagate, certainly. No relative performance loss if you opt for SATA2.


I was going for 1090T, but for a mere 10$ more the 1100T would have the an additional 100mhz... i know it wont make difference .. but for 10bucks more i said what the hell. Its the black edition processor so i think i could overclock it to 3.8ghz stably.

4gigs of ram, because i plan to run windows 7 32-bit and i guess it would only detect and run 3.5gigs. I cant use 64-bit windows because my trading software wont run on it.

SSD... Intel is much expensive. the cosair i decided is costing me about $230. Thanks, ill have to look at the OCZ and Crucial SSDs.

About HDD..... I have been using Western Digital on two computers and both computers the hard drive have malfunctioned and i have had to replace WD HDD two times in these three years. The service is great though i get my 500GB replaced with 640GB's ... but when u talk about the loss of data from HDD failure then its not so good.

My old seagate PATA 100GB hard disk still works after almost 8 years of operation, i still use it on my old computer.
So that's why i decided for seagate as they have been in the HDD business since the beginning. I could be sure my HDD would work a decade at-least.
April 4, 2011 2:37:48 PM

Kari said:
The Vram on the cards isn't added up in multigpu setups, each card will have the exact same stuff in their rams, so you will still have only 1 gig of usable vram for the game to use.


bottom line: it's utter waste to make 3way xfire with 1 gig cards and use it with a single 1080 monitor. Dont do it.


I didn't know that it wont be 3gigs. What do u think if i use the first card as 2gigs and second one as 1gig... will it be 2gigs ?

I just need minimum 60fps on 1920x1080p resolution on a 27inch LCD as the refresh rate of the lcd is usually 60hz... so if the graphics FPS is anything over 60... that's more than enough as i wont really see more than what the monitor refresh rate can sport.
April 4, 2011 2:45:27 PM

ndsouz said:
I didn't know that it wont be 3gigs. What do u think if i use the first card as 2gigs and second one as 1gig... will it be 2gigs ?

nope, just 1g. It's always the lowest common factor when the cards aren't identical. This goes with ram sizes, clock rates etc. For example if one is factory oc model with core clock 900MHz and the other is a reference 850MHz, the oc'ed card will slow down to 850 as well.
April 4, 2011 2:59:28 PM

Just buy a 2GB 6950 and unlock it and overclock it. It will handle whatever you throw at it.
April 4, 2011 3:00:48 PM

get a single powerful card such as a 6970 or gtx 580, check out my comment above
April 4, 2011 5:29:57 PM

Ok i have made my decision now.. most helpful was this review on tomshardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

I'm going for two sapphire 6950 1gb cards in dual crossfire and plus i will be saving about 200bucks more cutting cost of 3 6950 1gbs.

According to the review. i should get a performance boost of 92% on all resolutions with 6950 1gb crossfire ... as compared to just a 25% more boost with three 6950's ONLY on resolution 2650x1600 and above.. which i probably wont be able to use on my 1080p 27inch monitor.

I have decided to go for the 1gb instead of 2gb. as i still do not need like 80-90FPS since my LCD has a 60hz refresh rate. I guess this should be just enough to play all games at full settings with a 4x AA and be able to squeeze more than 60FPS to keep the games running at my monitors refresh rate in average FPS.

Also the bigger reason for the 1gb model is not only the 100$ i save on the 2 cards, plus the particular model has an open shroud with the fan in the middle. so there should be enough air-flow in/out when i crossfire them as it will be cramped.

One more good thing is my m/b can run two cards at pci-e x16 speed, so if i would have put a 3rd one it would have gone into the x8 slot making my 1st and 3rd card running at x8 while the 2nd card running at x16...
April 4, 2011 5:34:17 PM

you will not get that much scaling in most games! but if you must have a dual gpu config (senseless unless you are running 3 monitors) the 6950s should suit your needs but if your only going for one 1080p display then personally I'd go with a single gtx 580
April 4, 2011 5:37:52 PM

ndsouz said:
Ok i have made my decision now.. most helpful was this review on tomshardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

I'm going for two sapphire 6950 1gb cards in dual crossfire and plus i will be saving about 200bucks more cutting cost of 3 6950 1gbs.

According to the review. i should get a performance boost of 92% on all resolutions with 6950 1gb crossfire ... as compared to just a 25% more boost with three 6950's ONLY on resolution 2650x1600 and above.. which i probably wont be able to use on my 1080p 27inch monitor.

I have decided to go for the 1gb instead of 2gb. as i still do not need like 80-90FPS since my LCD has a 60hz refresh rate. I guess this should be just enough to play all games at full settings with a 4x AA and be able to squeeze more than 60FPS to keep the games running at my monitors refresh rate in average FPS.

Also the bigger reason for the 1gb model is not only the 100$ i save on the 2 cards, plus the particular model has an open shroud with the fan in the middle. so there should be enough air-flow in/out when i crossfire them as it will be cramped.

One more good thing is my m/b can run two cards at pci-e x16 speed, so if i would have put a 3rd one it would have gone into the x8 slot making my 1st and 3rd card running at x8 while the 2nd card running at x16...


Tis a good choice!!!
April 4, 2011 5:39:17 PM

report back when you discover all the hassles of xfire please
April 4, 2011 5:43:34 PM

LOL
April 4, 2011 5:49:16 PM

jjb8675309 said:
you will not get that much scaling in most games! but if you must have a dual gpu config (senseless unless you are running 3 monitors) the 6950s should suit your needs but if your only going for one 1080p display then personally I'd go with a single gtx 580

Bro. just look at the tomshardware review.. I dont want to spend a single penny after this for the next 3-5 years. If it can do 90+ fps with two 6950's crossfire as of today... maybe the games of 2-3 years later would still work at a decent FPS to not have to upgrade.

I'm on a athlon64 x2 at 2.5ghz, 2gb dd2 and a 5850 1gb.... a 6950 1gb is just supposed to be 10-15% faster than 5850.

My FPS
--------
mafia 2 20-25fps
deadspace2 30fps
avp2 22fps
grid 40fps
dirt2 22fps
crysis 20fps
assasincreed2 30fps

the only games that are going over 30fps are
call of juarez 1 and 2
half-life2 engine games like counterstrike2 and left4dead 1-2
UT3 engine games

And that too these games only sport these FPS only with AA set to off and V-ref set to off

--------------

Its playable... but not butter smooth and i bet in the next 2-3 years its going to reach the mode of "Unplayable"

I dont want this crap to happen .... I could pay the premium and go for a 6990 4gb.... but when i could get two 6950 1gb for a bargain price like 400 bucks and get almost the same performance. I think its worth it :bounce: 
April 4, 2011 5:57:48 PM

you get what you pay for is all im saying and in my personal experience there were too many intangibles that totally ruined the overall experience when I had crossfire 6870s, if you can deal with crap minimum fps, flickering, poor drivers, and always waiting for the next driver fix then go for it. If you want something reliable then get a single gtx 580 or 6970. Also keep in minc that currently your cpu is currently the biggest thing holding you back, a 5850 on a 1090t or any p2 @ 3.8ghz will perform much better then it does on your current cpu, if anything Id upgrade your cpu, try the 5850, maybe even oc it, but if that is not up to your standards then upgrade the gpu... just my .02 cents whatever you decide to do good luck and have fun
April 4, 2011 6:15:23 PM

jjb8675309 said:
you get what you pay for is all im saying and in my personal experience there were too many intangibles that totally ruined the overall experience when I had crossfire 6870s, if you can deal with crap minimum fps, flickering, poor drivers, and always waiting for the next driver fix then go for it. If you want something reliable then get a single gtx 580 or 6970. Also keep in minc that currently your cpu is currently the biggest thing holding you back, a 5850 on a 1090t or any p2 @ 3.8ghz will perform much better then it does on your current cpu, if anything Id upgrade your cpu, try the 5850, maybe even oc it, but if that is not up to your standards then upgrade the gpu... just my .02 cents whatever you decide to do good luck and have fun

Thanks bro.. just wanted to let you know.

My 1st priority with upgrading to amd phenom 2 x6 and the SSD drive was so my OS boots in a jiffy and my trading software in a jiffy.

So i could run 5-10 trading softwares and also be able to play games while im waiting on the market.

I'm doing nearly 50,000 to 100,000 dollars a month in profits trading on the forex market, from the past 3 years.

I could spend like any amount even like 10,000 to 100,000 dollars just on building the faster bloody computer money could buy.

But I do not like spending money on a computer... the basic fact as you all know.. it doesnt take like even 6 months for the latest pc hardware to go defunct ... every 6months something newer pops-out.

I bet in 6months a 8 to 12 core phenom 2 will be out .. a radeon 7xxxx series will pop out and dd3 maybe replaced with ddr5.. who knows.

I'm just upgrading at the moment because my current pc has come to a point where its almost on the verge of being non-playable .

Spending on a pc is like bollocks for me.... I'd rather donate to the church or maybe donate to charity... will make more use rather than spending 3050 dollar for this computer thats anyways on its way to becoming junk in the next 1 year :kaola: 
April 4, 2011 6:57:00 PM

Quote:
Why not get the 2500k or 2600k with a 6950/6970 or a Gtx 580 then?


Howdy Bro,

I stopped become a Intel and Nvidia Fan. The 1st reason is thats there no such thing as a computer that hangs in AMD.
I'm now a AMD fan and will forever will be. Whatever AMD throws and if need arises I will only go for AMD solutions.

Sorry Bro
April 4, 2011 8:19:45 PM

ndsouz said:
Howdy Bro,

I stopped become a Intel and Nvidia Fan. The 1st reason is thats there no such thing as a computer that hangs in AMD.
I'm now a AMD fan and will forever will be. Whatever AMD throws and if need arises I will only go for AMD solutions.

Sorry Bro


this is illogical but whatever floats your boat, no such thing as a computer that hangs? ok buddy
April 4, 2011 9:01:36 PM

ndsouz said:
Howdy Bro,

I stopped become a Intel and Nvidia Fan. The 1st reason is thats there no such thing as a computer that hangs in AMD.
I'm now a AMD fan and will forever will be. Whatever AMD throws and if need arises I will only go for AMD solutions.

Sorry Bro


Hey Bro,

While there is sometimes instances in which video card brand should be considered (some games run better on Nvidia cards than equivalent ATI/AMD cards, etc.), CPUs differ in architecture only. By that standard, Intel has consistently run better than equivalent AMD CPUs, their only fault lying in price. With Sandy Bridge, even this disparity has been removed; Intel is the king of the hill. Observe:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203

The 2500k, which is CHEAPER THAN THE 1100T, still manages to crush it in almost every benchmark, with the exception of some rendering apps that use all 6 cores of the 1100T. But the 2500k still defeats the 1100T in every way. This is not to mention that Sandy Bridge CPUs, taking less power, can OC much more easily than AMD CPUs.

Sorry Bro
April 4, 2011 9:59:21 PM

I say forget about a gaming rig if you're going to be running a 32-bit OS.
April 4, 2011 10:02:18 PM

ndsouz said:
I'm on a athlon64 x2 at 2.5ghz, 2gb dd2 and a 5850 1gb.... a 6950 1gb is just supposed to be 10-15% faster than 5850.

My FPS
--------
mafia 2 20-25fps
deadspace2 30fps
avp2 22fps
grid 40fps
dirt2 22fps
crysis 20fps
assasincreed2 30fps

the only games that are going over 30fps are
call of juarez 1 and 2
half-life2 engine games like counterstrike2 and left4dead 1-2
UT3 engine games

And that too these games only sport these FPS only with AA set to off and V-ref set to off
I highly recommend you build the new system then try your HD5850 with it. The low frames per second you are seeing are because your outdated processor is severely limiting your current card's performance. With a new cpu you will get much better results. If you still aren't happy with your performance then I recommend getting ONE HD6950 2gb and unlocking it into an HD6970. If for some reason that still isn't good enough(it really should be) then get a second 2gb card. The 1gb card in crossfire doesn't really make sense. You will have an overabundance of processing power and not enough memory to properly utilize it. Basically if a situation requires the processing power of two HD6970s then it will also almost definitely need more than 1gb of ram as well.
April 4, 2011 10:15:25 PM

ndsouz said:
Howdy Bro,

I stopped become a Intel and Nvidia Fan. The 1st reason is thats there no such thing as a computer that hangs in AMD.
I'm now a AMD fan and will forever will be. Whatever AMD throws and if need arises I will only go for AMD solutions.

Sorry Bro



You should be a fan of what works for your money. Hard to beat a 2600K OC'ed to 4.8Ghz and a high class ASUS Pro board for under 500.00
April 4, 2011 10:21:18 PM

lol I am enjoying all the howdy bro- sorry bro commentary, :)  lol
April 4, 2011 10:38:45 PM

thanks broski,

I am deleting this flag bc this thread is now pointless

sorry brosef
April 5, 2011 12:29:32 AM

There was a dude thread going the other day so I guess bro or bra was just a matter of time.
April 5, 2011 1:44:02 AM

I like Tuhrtles!
April 5, 2011 7:11:15 AM

jyjjy said:
I highly recommend you build the new system then try your HD5850 with it. The low frames per second you are seeing are because your outdated processor is severely limiting your current card's performance. With a new cpu you will get much better results. If you still aren't happy with your performance then I recommend getting ONE HD6950 2gb and unlocking it into an HD6970. If for some reason that still isn't good enough(it really should be) then get a second 2gb card. The 1gb card in crossfire doesn't really make sense. You will have an overabundance of processing power and not enough memory to properly utilize it. Basically if a situation requires the processing power of two HD6970s then it will also almost definitely need more than 1gb of ram as well.


I have to buy a new card anyways. Because im not upgrading my old pc, instead im buying a whole new second computer and have my little bro use my old pc.. so we could do the lan gaming thing :) 
April 5, 2011 7:13:34 AM

z06psi said:
You should be a fan of what works for your money. Hard to beat a 2600K OC'ed to 4.8Ghz and a high class ASUS Pro board for under 500.00


Damn i already made payment for the phenom 2 subsystem.
Let me see now if its good enough to sqeeze 60-90 fps on 1080p with all setting high and AA = 4x
I have to upgrade my old pc too. so maybe ill buy the i7-2600 subsystem for the old pc. Maybe will do that next month.

I dont want to overclock it too much. Just 3.8Ghz from stock 3.3ghz ... because cool processor is more important . Its hot here in India.. 35degrees celcius room temprature at day.
April 5, 2011 7:18:17 AM

You may find this funny... but i even underclock my processor and graphics card sometimes... just so it could run cooler. I still dont reach my target of 44degrees. always everything running 50degrees or more on the 35degrees room temperature.

April 5, 2011 7:41:36 AM

jjb8675309 said:
this is illogical but whatever floats your boat, no such thing as a computer that hangs? ok buddy

I'm not kidding. I was a Intel and Nvidia guy. just for a change i upgraded to Athlon and radeon. since my old p4 was getting old and my geforce 9800 stopped working.

Ever since i have used the athlon processor... i have never ever experienced the computer hang or freeze. it may bring a blue screen it may do a memory dump and emergency restart.. but it will never ever freeze/hang. Which was the big problem in my intel processor.

i keep my computer sometimes running a whole month without switching it off and never hangs or anything.. AMD is stability for me :) 
April 5, 2011 9:11:39 AM

If your having trouble with keeping your gpu temps down then why dont you increase the fan speed?
April 5, 2011 1:09:50 PM

And underclockin the 3d load clocks wont do squat at idle, since the idle clocks are 157/300 anyways, just enable the manual fan control and increase it a bit...
April 6, 2011 5:27:36 AM

OK I've made the payment now.

The specs on the new computer on the 1st post with the addition of..

2 x sapphire 6950 1GB in crossfire.
Razer Lycosa Mirror edition Blue LED backlit keyboard
Razer Abyssus 3500dpi lazer mouse
Bose companion 3 series II - 2.1 speakers
Phillips SHP8900 Full size headphones with the gold plated contacts..

I'm done now! Should have everything here, assembled and ready before saturday this week . :) 
April 6, 2011 5:32:57 AM

Btw the bose speaker costs more than my 6950 1gb radeon..
April 6, 2011 6:03:31 AM

ndsouz said:
OK I've made the payment now.

The specs on the new computer on the 1st post with the addition of..

2 x sapphire 6950 1GB in crossfire.
Razer Lycosa Mirror edition Blue LED backlit keyboard
Razer Abyssus 3500dpi lazer mouse
Bose companion 3 series II - 2.1 speakers
Phillips SHP8900 Full size headphones with the gold plated contacts..

I'm done now! Should have everything here, assembled and ready before saturday this week . :) 


That 1100T is still a waste of your money. But hey, hope you enjoy.
April 6, 2011 6:40:53 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
That 1100T is still a waste of your money. But hey, hope you enjoy.


I'm a day trader by profession. I Actually need a hexacore processor. so that i could keep multiple instances of my trading software running 24/5 and also be able to play some games while im trading.

I know intel is the top performer, but then again if i go for the hexacore Intel i7 990 ... thats gonna cost me a grand excluding the motherboard and ram. So this way i get the hexacore from AMD and i feel i have saved more than 750$ money on that instead of intels hexacore.

To make up for it in gaming performance instead i spent the 200$ from the $750 i saved an im tossing in a second 6950 1gb in crossfire...

So i guess i will get a nearly similar performing system as the i7-990 hexacore with one 6950 with the 1100t with two 6950s

saved 550bucks.. which again i went in to put those lcd backlit keyboard, lazer mouse, expensive set of quality bose speakers and a full size headphones.

I still have got more 350bucks saved.. which im thinking of spending on a webcam with mic, 20megapixel nikon 1080p camera, nokia 5233 mobile phone and a small vaccum cleaner to do the monthly maintanence of my new computer... :bounce: 

I hope if it can pump 60 to 90 FPS in this configuration on stock setup (no overclocking no unlocking) as my LCD can only do 60hz refresh rates. So if it exceeds 60fps maybe i would see it in fraps statistics but in reality i would not see more than 60fps or 60hz what the lcd monitor can sport.
April 6, 2011 6:52:18 AM

I hope it will be the same thing like before. when i switched from p4 single core to the dual-core athlon, three years ago.

Too many people were convincing me that theres no software or games that will make use of dual cores.

now three years later... dual core is not only a bare necessity. even quad cores are becoming necessary.. so i think by investing in hexacore... i probably wont have to spend a buck more to upgrade for the next three years..

I think by then octacores and a dozen cores will start becoming necessary hehe :) 
April 6, 2011 7:03:19 AM

jjb8675309 said:
you get what you pay for is all im saying and in my personal experience there were too many intangibles that totally ruined the overall experience when I had crossfire 6870s, if you can deal with crap minimum fps, flickering, poor drivers, and always waiting for the next driver fix then go for it. If you want something reliable then get a single gtx 580 or 6970. Also keep in minc that currently your cpu is currently the biggest thing holding you back, a 5850 on a 1090t or any p2 @ 3.8ghz will perform much better then it does on your current cpu, if anything Id upgrade your cpu, try the 5850, maybe even oc it, but if that is not up to your standards then upgrade the gpu... just my .02 cents whatever you decide to do good luck and have fun


I have to tell you that my 5850 was actually a 4890 that malfunctioned after two years of operating. They replaced me with a brand new shining 5850!! :D 

But the new problem was this card is like about 12-15" long so i had to spend on a secondhand larger cabinet to fit it.
April 6, 2011 1:39:24 PM

well even though the 25 and 2600k will blow away the six core on running multiple trading apps at the same time, the six core will do its job but really if you want to multi-task get the SB chips
April 6, 2011 3:50:22 PM

lol... u intel brothers always in teh mood to show down to the amd brothers lol
April 6, 2011 4:08:31 PM

sorry bro-bro,

I didnt mean to show you down but rather just offer some friendly advice to build a machine that will last longer and offer better price/performance...

well its your choice bro but you will be missing out on a good deal performance by going with the six core but if a nice black and green box from AMD makes you happy then go for it

have fun bro

-Uncle Buck
April 6, 2011 4:11:02 PM

in the end the six core will be fine but the 2500k would have been a better investment imo, after all I run a p2 955, and therefore you cannot necessarily call me an "AMD brother" or an "Intel brother" I just go with what is the best bang for your buck at the time, and I guess for the moment I am an "AMD brother" although in my recent expiriences with 6870 crossfire I am not to fond of their dual gpu configs
April 6, 2011 4:12:58 PM

ndsouz said:
I have to tell you that my 5850 was actually a 4890 that malfunctioned after two years of operating. They replaced me with a brand new shining 5850!! :D 

But the new problem was this card is like about 12-15" long so i had to spend on a secondhand larger cabinet to fit it.


huh I'm not even going to ask you to explain this one :pt1cable: 
April 7, 2011 11:56:31 PM

doesn't a 5850 actually perform worse than a 4890!?

Also, can you dual-boot with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows? Because if you can that is what you should do for gaming and running your trade programs.

EDIT: Well you couldn't game while running your programs, but atleast you would have the benefits of 64-bit OS when you're using it.
April 8, 2011 2:31:59 PM

codyw9524 said:
doesn't a 5850 actually perform worse than a 4890!?

Also, can you dual-boot with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows? Because if you can that is what you should do for gaming and running your trade programs.

EDIT: Well you couldn't game while running your programs, but atleast you would have the benefits of 64-bit OS when you're using it.



OP

do not create a dual that would be idiotic to say the least, a 5850 is more powerful than a 4890...

gaming while trading, a good way to lose all your investments
!