Intermittent crashes, no BSoD

wossum

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
So I've had my gaming rig for about 2 years now, and she has ran perfectly up until about a week ago. It will now randomly crash and reboot, without any error messages or anything, pretty much like the power just goes out. Over the course of the last 3 days, it probably has crashed about 4-6 a day.
There doesn't seem to be any reason for it, as sometimes it crashes within a couple of minutes of loading Windows and other times I have been able to play Battlefield BC2 for several hours before crashing.

I've ruled out that it isn't an overheating issue and I have ran memtest86+ successfully and don't believe it to be the cause either. I'm wondering if this could be an issue with my power supply, but wouldn't this mean it would crash more often when playing games and running other hardware intensive programs?

Specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

Core i7-920 OC to 3.9 GHz

COOLER MASTER V8

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Radeon 4870

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W

Solution
I'd try dropping your OC down a little bit and seeing if it still crashes on you.

Also, running Prime95 or another stress test off a boot CD can help to narrow it down to a hardware or Windows / software problem...

And yeah it could be a PSU that is dying on you, but I think it would be a motherboard / CPU / voltages sort of thing.

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I'd try dropping your OC down a little bit and seeing if it still crashes on you.

Also, running Prime95 or another stress test off a boot CD can help to narrow it down to a hardware or Windows / software problem...

And yeah it could be a PSU that is dying on you, but I think it would be a motherboard / CPU / voltages sort of thing.

Solution