Main monitor blacks out, but still responds as if it's fine...

DGrass1987

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
GPU: nVidia 460 (stock clocked)
CPU: i7920 d0 (now stock-clocked, was at 3.2GHz)
Monitor: Hanns-G 27" HDMI Montior

Here's my problem guys. This morning my 1.5year.old monitor was blanked out. Normally it looks that way when it's in hibernate but this time when i moved my mouse nothing came up except on my alternative monitor (hdtv). So i messed around with the HDMI cable and the 2nd monitors DVI cord.

What I noticed when i swapped the cords, my Hanns-G (now 2ndary monitor) turned had a low red value i believe since the entire screen has a green hue to it.

But I have also noticed that regardless of which plug it's in, the only time i get a display is when i cycle power to the monitor. It will then work fine as hell for about 15 seconds. There is no error message, nothing indicating anything isn't working fine etc. I am strapped for cash and really hope I don't need a new monitor, anyone have suggestions?

For instance, could it be one of my cables or does this sound like a monitor issue?

Thanks for you time guys

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Try swapping the power cords for the monitors as well, I had a monitor do something similar once because the cheap chineese power cord couldn't pass enough current though it to keep the monitor out of sleep mode. Also try different ports on the video card.

DGrass1987

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I took it to a local computer shop today and they said it's the power reveiver on the actual monitor not accepting the proper volts. Says it's basically shorting out, but i'm not totally sure if i translated it correctly. Anywho, I went to Staples today to check out some new monitors; is HannSpree equiv. of Hanns-G? Just curious, and also i read up a bit on TN panel but i'm not totally sure how relevent it is for me. All i use my PC for is C++ compiling, movie ripping and gaming.

Anywho, anyone have a solid LCD suggestion for like $100-200. I know that itsnt a huge amount of price range, i can prolly go a bit higher, but i'm just looking for a decent one. Hate being a full-time student. Makes habits hard to finance >.<