Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is there any relief in sight? (An RPG gamer's backlog is a..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In the beginning, it was: I am a gamer.

It is not so simple anymore. I have neither the time nor money to be
just a gamer. Hence, the subject title. Of course, even that is
becoming too broad. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to call myself
a console RPG gamer. My PC Gaming has been reduced to the Heroes of
Might and Magic series, and 3DO went bankrupt. Though I am a proud
owner of all major current generation systems, it took some time to
come to this stage. Of course I picked up the PS2 in the wee hours of
the morning way back on the day of its release. My Gamecube came
Christmas 2002, and my Xbox when they released the Halo Limited
Edition.

My purchases simply cannot be impulsive anymore, like the PS2 was.
Sure, Kessen was a gem in the rough, but I don't even remember the
other two games I had to purchase with it (Curse you KB Toys!). It
was also our only DVD player for some time. Without a doubt, FFX,
Suikoden III, Xenosaga, Disgaea, and others completely justify its
existence.

Gamecube was a more calculated acquisition. I grew up with the NES,
so classic Nintendo is something I simply can't miss. Skies of
Arcadia Legends, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Super
Smash Bros. Melee were out and Metroid Prime was on its way.

Xbox I had been debating over for a long while. Halo and KOTOR are
simply incredible, but were they alone worth getting an Xbox? When it
dropped to 170 for the Halo LE, I decided it was. Crimson Skies is
also a must have, and of course, Halo 2 is out now.

I have two GBA's (one SP), and Tactics Ogre, Advance Wars (1&2), Final
Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem are worth every penny.

So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
exciting and depressing all the same.

Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On 10 Nov 2004 12:47:57 -0800, ucphenom82@hotmail.com (FenceSitter)
wrote:

>In the beginning, it was: I am a gamer.
>
>
>So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
>like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
>buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
>FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
>finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
>Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
>even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
>concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
>play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
>come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
>exciting and depressing all the same.
>
>Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
>sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
>out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?


YES! I started waiting for price drops a year or more ago. I'm down
to one console and my PC now because I only have time to play a couple
hours a week. I am very picky about the games I buy. The good thing
is even if you only play the best of the best there is still a good
number of titles to choose from for each console. I'm just thinking
about getting Knights of the Old Republic now. My Wife, kid, job,
Aikido all cut into my gaming time, mainly my sleep suffers the worst.

I would love to spend more time gaming but my son is far more
important, and since he is only 15 months old he's not the best
opponent for 2 player games :)  I did however cut the cord off an old
PS1 controller and gave it to him, he holds it correctly and is able
to work the thumb sticks pretty well. So I'm hoping that a few years
from now we will have great times with PS4 and Xbox After-Next 2.

Adam M
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...
>
<snip>
>
> So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
> like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
> buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
> FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
> finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
> Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
> even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
> concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
> play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
> come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
> exciting and depressing all the same.
>
> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?


I'm kind of going through the same thing, at least on the PC end of things.
I got into the habit of buying games and before long found myself with a
backlog of no less than 30 games that I needed to finish. It was a good
thing and a bad thing at the same time. Sure, I was picking up games that I
wanted, and that made me happy, but it got to the point where having so much
of a backlog made the whole thing seem more like a chore instead of fun like
I intended. The good thing, however, is that most of my games came from the
bargain bin.

Buying an Xbox gave me a chance to start with a "clean slate" and has given
me the opportunity to correct my past mistakes with regards to having a
backlog of games that need finishing. I'm much more selective now. Yes, I
do keep the cost down by watching for specials and buying used, but most of
the games I have now are not ones that have a true beginning and end. Most
of my Xbox games are hockey and I also have a couple of racing titles and
Pure Pinball, and these are all great because I can just pick it up and have
a single game in a short time and have it done and over with. I have
Serious Sam and Buffy The Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds, but these are the
only two games with a real campaign mode. Right now, I've almost completed
Serious Sam as well.

Overall, things are well on my end now. I'm glad that I became aware of
what all of my game buying in the past for the PC was really doing to me in
that it was starting to become more work than fun getting through it all. I
don't ever plan on giving up my PC, but I haven't been doing any gaming on
it for a little while now. No offense intended towards the PC since I was
gaming on it for a number of years, but there's no doubt that getting an
Xbox has totally rejuvenated my gaming experience.
November 11, 2004 12:23:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...

**Text respectfully snipped for space saving stuff**

Oh hell yeah, I feel your pain. I used to buy games all the time and now,
not so much anymore.

I usually find it better to wait a little while longer to get ccertain
titles, or at the very least try things out at a rental shop to see if it's
a good decision.

This year will be busy.

Very busy.

Ant
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 12:23:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On 2004-11-10, Ant <antantrevolution@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> "FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...
>
> **Text respectfully snipped for space saving stuff**
>
> Oh hell yeah, I feel your pain. I used to buy games all the time and now,
> not so much anymore.

I feel your pain too. I eventually settled into being a Gameboy
Advance-only gamer. There are plenty of great RPGs and that way I don't
get bummed about not having time for everything that's out there because I
don't even own a system to play them on. I had a PS2 once and an XBox, but
I never had time for them. I really wanted to play Disgaea and La Pucelle
to completion, but I never had the time. So I regressed back to my
trusty GBA.

Preston
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 12:23:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:23:25 GMT, "Ant"
<antantrevolution@earthlink.net> thought hard and said:

>
>"FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...
>
>**Text respectfully snipped for space saving stuff**
>
>Oh hell yeah, I feel your pain. I used to buy games all the time and now,
>not so much anymore.

The last game I bought was Wind Waker back in March '03.
--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.
Head of EAC Denial Department and Madly Insane Scientist.
November 11, 2004 1:17:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"AM_Dragon" <am_dragon@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:3s15p0tbks7ffqvua1h6u919hh6vvcpr5r@4ax.com...
> I did however cut the cord off an old
> PS1 controller and gave it to him, he holds it correctly and is able
> to work the thumb sticks pretty well
> Adam M

Neat idea, I'll have to try that.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:08:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

FenceSitter wrote:
> In the beginning, i twasIamagamer.
>
> It is not so simple anymore. I have neither the time nor money to be
> just a gamer. Hence, the subject title. Of course, even that is
> becoming too broad. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to call myself
> a console RPG gamer. My PC Gaming has been reduced to the Heroes of
> Might and Magic series, and 3DO went bankrupt. Though I am a proud
> owner of all major current generation systems, it took some time to
> come to this stage. Of course I picked up the PS2 in the wee hours of
> the morning way back on the day of its release. My Gamecube came
> Christmas 2002, and my Xbox when they released the Halo Limited
> Edition.
>
> My purchases simply cannot be impulsive anymore, like the PS2 was.
> Sure, Kessen was a gem in the rough, but I don't even remember the
> other two games I had to purchase with it (Curse you KB Toys!). It
> was also our only DVD player for some time. Without a doubt, FFX,
> Suikoden III, Xenosaga, Disgaea, and others completely justify its
> existence.
>
> Gamecube was a more calculated acquisition. I grew up with the NES,
> so classic Nintendo is something I simply can't miss. Skies of
> Arcadia Legends, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Super
> Smash Bros. Melee were out and Metroid Prime was on its way.
>
> Xbox I had been debating over for a long while. Halo and KOTOR are
> simply incredible, but were they alone worth getting an Xbox? When it
> dropped to 170 for the Halo LE, I decided it was. Crimson Skies is
> also a must have, and of course, Halo 2 is out now.
>
> I have two GBA's (one SP), and Tactics Ogre, Advance Wars (1&2), Final
> Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem are worth every penny.
>
> So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
> like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
> buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
> FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
> finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
> Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
> even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
> concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
> play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
> come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
> exciting and depressing all the same.

That's what I do. I want so many games on older systems where I can
get a game for $5-15, that when the time comes that I have $50, I
usually decide to load up on my backlog want list, rather than blowing
it on just one title from the current generation. The way this
generation is going, if it's not the three most popular titles of the
age, the new game will drop to the $20 range in 6-10 months anyway.


> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?

Heh, they're "real gamers" and we're something else entirely. ;) 

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:08:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Qbxkd.3300$w.346@trnddc02>...
> FenceSitter wrote:
> > In the beginning, i twasIamagamer.
> >
> > It is not so simple anymore. I have neither the time nor money to be
> > just a gamer. Hence, the subject title. Of course, even that is
> > becoming too broad. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to call myself
> > a console RPG gamer. My PC Gaming has been reduced to the Heroes of
> > Might and Magic series, and 3DO went bankrupt. Though I am a proud
> > owner of all major current generation systems, it took some time to
> > come to this stage. Of course I picked up the PS2 in the wee hours of
> > the morning way back on the day of its release. My Gamecube came
> > Christmas 2002, and my Xbox when they released the Halo Limited
> > Edition.
> >
> > My purchases simply cannot be impulsive anymore, like the PS2 was.
> > Sure, Kessen was a gem in the rough, but I don't even remember the
> > other two games I had to purchase with it (Curse you KB Toys!). It
> > was also our only DVD player for some time. Without a doubt, FFX,
> > Suikoden III, Xenosaga, Disgaea, and others completely justify its
> > existence.
> >
> > Gamecube was a more calculated acquisition. I grew up with the NES,
> > so classic Nintendo is something I simply can't miss. Skies of
> > Arcadia Legends, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Super
> > Smash Bros. Melee were out and Metroid Prime was on its way.
> >
> > Xbox I had been debating over for a long while. Halo and KOTOR are
> > simply incredible, but were they alone worth getting an Xbox? When it
> > dropped to 170 for the Halo LE, I decided it was. Crimson Skies is
> > also a must have, and of course, Halo 2 is out now.
> >
> > I have two GBA's (one SP), and Tactics Ogre, Advance Wars (1&2), Final
> > Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem are worth every penny.
> >
> > So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
> > like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
> > buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
> > FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
> > finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
> > Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
> > even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
> > concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
> > play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
> > come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
> > exciting and depressing all the same.
>
> That's what I do. I want so many games on older systems where I can
> get a game for $5-15, that when the time comes that I have $50, I
> usually decide to load up on my backlog want list, rather than blowing
> it on just one title from the current generation. The way this
> generation is going, if it's not the three most popular titles of the
> age, the new game will drop to the $20 range in 6-10 months anyway.
>
>
> > Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> > sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> > out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?
>
> Heh, they're "real gamers" and we're something else entirely. ;) 

Right in front of me I have FF-IX, Xenogears, Xenosaga, FFT, Chrono
Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden, Onimusha2, Summoner2, Baldurs Gate-DA
each waiting to be played, and no time to play them. That doesn't take
into account R&C2, Ace Combat4, Nascar Dirt to Daytona, and a number
of other other nonRPGs. I bought all these games for less than $20. a
piece at Ebay, Amazon, etc. I keep telling myself not to buy anymore,
but if people are giving them away...<shrug> The only ones I want to
buy in 2005 are SH4, and FF-12, or so I tell myself. The way things
presently stand, I'm going to run out of breath before I run out of
games. <gasp, rattle, drop>
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 4:29:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...
> In the beginning, it was: I am a gamer.
>
> It is not so simple anymore. I have neither the time nor money to be
> just a gamer. Hence, the subject title. Of course, even that is
> becoming too broad. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to call myself
> a console RPG gamer. My PC Gaming has been reduced to the Heroes of
> Might and Magic series, and 3DO went bankrupt. Though I am a proud
> owner of all major current generation systems, it took some time to
> come to this stage. Of course I picked up the PS2 in the wee hours of
> the morning way back on the day of its release. My Gamecube came
> Christmas 2002, and my Xbox when they released the Halo Limited
> Edition.
>
> My purchases simply cannot be impulsive anymore, like the PS2 was.
> Sure, Kessen was a gem in the rough, but I don't even remember the
> other two games I had to purchase with it (Curse you KB Toys!). It
> was also our only DVD player for some time. Without a doubt, FFX,
> Suikoden III, Xenosaga, Disgaea, and others completely justify its
> existence.
>
> Gamecube was a more calculated acquisition. I grew up with the NES,
> so classic Nintendo is something I simply can't miss. Skies of
> Arcadia Legends, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Super
> Smash Bros. Melee were out and Metroid Prime was on its way.
>
> Xbox I had been debating over for a long while. Halo and KOTOR are
> simply incredible, but were they alone worth getting an Xbox? When it
> dropped to 170 for the Halo LE, I decided it was. Crimson Skies is
> also a must have, and of course, Halo 2 is out now.
>
> I have two GBA's (one SP), and Tactics Ogre, Advance Wars (1&2), Final
> Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem are worth every penny.
>
> So where am I going with this? I am beginning to think that gamers
> like me should start waiting until games have dropped in price before
> buying them. My backlog grows with each new release. I used to be a
> FF fanboy, so I am ashamed to admit these games I own but have not
> finished: FF2 (haven't even started!) FF5, Chrono Trigger, FFX-2,
> Kingdom Hearts, and FFTA. I am most ashamed to admit that I haven't
> even finished Wind Waker (I know, it's sacrilegious as far as I'm
> concerned). This doesn't even mention all the PS1 games I wanted to
> play but missed out on (Suikoden 1&2, Grandia, Hoshigami immediately
> come to mind). There are so many good games on their way that it's
> exciting and depressing all the same.
>
> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?

Yes, but it seems like the market is going away from RPGs.
I'm STILL playing old RPGs on the PS1 and SNES.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 6:37:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 FenceSitter <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?

It's not just RPG gamers, though we get it worse since many of the games
take upwards of 40, 80, even 100+ hours to complete...

Basically, if you're a gamer willing to go multi-platform, there is zero
reason to buy games at full price anymore, even though I do make a few
exceptions.

I'd long given up buying PC games at full price. They drop in price
pretty quickly, and by that time, there's usually a patch (or 3) available
so that the game's fairly stable. Console games don't drop quite so fast,
but if you have multiple platforms to choose from, you're always going to
be able to find something at a reduced price. And if you buy wisely
during sales, it's not hard to build up a backlog of quality games.

As a result, I've become a LOT more picky about the games that even make
it onto my "to buy" list.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 1:06:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"FenceSitter" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71b335e.0411101247.6c4f2b98@posting.google.com...
> In the beginning, it was: I am a gamer.
[snip]
> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?

It's not just RPG gaming.
I'm a dedicated petrol head, and used to buy every PC racing game going. But
the techno-arms race for higher spec graphics cards etc drove me to PS/2
(that and the sublime GT3).

Anyway, I've found myself working up a backlog of games that I'm not going
to complete in over a years worth of gaming with no new purchases.

Worse case is WRC - Enjoyed the first one, almost finished it. Then the
second one came out. So I bought that - enjoyed it, but wanted to get good
before starting a season so played in time-trial mode only. Then along came
WRC3 which I bought becuse I enjoyed the first two so much. And I've hardly
played that at all (what I have has been to the detriment to the other two)
and now WRC4 is out... and if I buy that I might has well not have bought
WRC3. What's worse is that all the reviews I've found say it's better than
WRC3. *sigh*

Actually I think they might have pushed thier product too much, with too
frequent releases, although I understand that it's linked to the actual FIA
WRC rounds.

AndyC
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 4:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Braska wrote:
> Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Qbxkd.3300$w.346@trnddc02>...

>>>Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
>>>sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
>>>out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?
>>
>>Heh, they're "real gamers" and we're something else entirely. ;) 
>
>
> Right in front of me I have FF-IX, Xenogears, Xenosaga, FFT, Chrono
> Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden, Onimusha2, Summoner2, Baldurs Gate-DA
> each waiting to be played, and no time to play them. That doesn't take
> into account R&C2, Ace Combat4, Nascar Dirt to Daytona, and a number
> of other other nonRPGs. I bought all these games for less than $20. a
> piece at Ebay, Amazon, etc. I keep telling myself not to buy anymore,
> but if people are giving them away...<shrug> The only ones I want to
> buy in 2005 are SH4, and FF-12, or so I tell myself. The way things
> presently stand, I'm going to run out of breath before I run out of
> games. <gasp, rattle, drop>

It gets worse, especially if you start considering that maybe you've
been depriving yourself by not giving certain genres a fair shake.
Then, all of a sudden, good gameplay can be found in a game you thought
you couldn't stand on a system 10 years old or 20 years old, and there
are literally thousands of them. ;) 


--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 4:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:21:15 GMT, Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Braska wrote:
>> Scott H <sheathx013@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Qbxkd.3300$w.346@trnddc02>...
>
>>>>Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
>>>>sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
>>>>out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?
>>>

>
> It gets worse, especially if you start considering that maybe you've
>been depriving yourself by not giving certain genres a fair shake.
>Then, all of a sudden, good gameplay can be found in a game you thought
>you couldn't stand on a system 10 years old or 20 years old, and there
>are literally thousands of them. ;) 

So very true ... I'm glad I don't like RTS or sports games or sims
(incl 'tycoons', etc) ...

I play PC (& Mac) games overwhelmingly, GBA a far 2nd (probably 99:1
in terms of time split). We have a GameCube at home, but my 6.5 and 8
year old are the main users of that.

My main gaming love for years and years was shooters. I got hooked
playing Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple ][+ over 20 years ago ...

But it got to the point last year where I was buying games on
day-of-release (usually Wednesday in-store) and being done by the end
of the weekend, and often feeling I had wasted $50 (Unreal II, Deus Ex
2 come to mind). However, last summer, preparing for KotOR, I picked
up Neverwinter Nights for the Mac when it came out in August. My only
'RPG' prior was Diablo which my wife got me when it came out, and I
played for a bit and really didn't like. But with NWN I got the RPG
bug. So then it was the NWN expansions, then the entire BG series,
Fallout series, IWD series, Morrowind, Gothic I & II, Arcanum, and on
and on and on ... I still have games I've not finished, but it has
allowed me to enjoy games that take tens or even more than a hundred
hours, rather than knocking off Call of Duty in 8 hours (very
satisfying, but short).

I don't mind 'going back' ... indeed these 'lost treasures' have been
a great thing for me.

Mike
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 9:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Most of my friends don't have this problem, because they only like
> sports games or first person shooters. Are there any other RPG gamers
> out there with this problem? Or any other gamers in general?

You make good points. I myself do not have anything but the Xbox. I long
ago came to terms with the fact I would be missing great games on the other
consoles because of this decision. With Xbox Live you now have a situation
where you no longer buy a game, finish it, then trade it in or shelve it for
replay later. Now you get a game like Wolfenstein for example, where it
normally would have been easy trade bait based on it's offline play. Factor
in Xbox Live and this game lasted me well over a year before I moved on to
something else. For me it's becoming difficult to balance my offline and
online time. I want to finish my offline Men of Valor and Halo 2, but let's
face it you become really skillful playing online and I find it hard to
increase my online skill without putting in more online time.

I like RPGs myself. I'm looking forward to KOTOR 2 and maybe Jade Empire.
Where's the time? I still have Armed and Dangerous on my back log. That
game is almost a year old.
November 12, 2004 12:30:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Braska wrote:


> Right in front of me I have FF-IX, Xenogears, Xenosaga, FFT, Chrono
> Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden, Onimusha2, Summoner2, Baldurs Gate-DA
> each waiting to be played, and no time to play them. That doesn't take
> into account R&C2, Ace Combat4, Nascar Dirt to Daytona, and a number
> of other other nonRPGs. I bought all these games for less than $20. a
> piece at Ebay, Amazon, etc. I keep telling myself not to buy anymore,
> but if people are giving them away...<shrug> The only ones I want to
> buy in 2005 are SH4, and FF-12, or so I tell myself. The way things
> presently stand, I'm going to run out of breath before I run out of
> games. <gasp, rattle, drop>

This is what I am finding too. When I was a kid with tons of time, I had NO
money to buy videogames or the systems. Now I am older, working, own a
house, I have the money to buy games... lots of them. But I have no time
to play them. Between cleaning, doing the laundry, cutting grass,
painting, cooking, having a life, there is no time to play games, and like
you I have quite a stack of unfinished games. I am only 27 and have been
playing videogames since the days of d/l games off of BBS's and playing
them on my 286.

Kids, take this from me, you ain't always going to have tons of free time to
put 80 hours into final fantasy. You will be lucky to put in 1/2 hour per
night. Reality is shite. You can't stay in your mom's basement forever
playing video games (well maybe some of you will).
November 12, 2004 10:19:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"richb" <richberi@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1vidnQmG2dyNvQncRVn-gA@rogers.com...
> Braska wrote:
>
>
> > Right in front of me I have FF-IX, Xenogears, Xenosaga, FFT, Chrono
> > Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden, Onimusha2, Summoner2, Baldurs Gate-DA
> > each waiting to be played, and no time to play them. That doesn't take
> > into account R&C2, Ace Combat4, Nascar Dirt to Daytona, and a number
> > of other other nonRPGs. I bought all these games for less than $20. a
> > piece at Ebay, Amazon, etc. I keep telling myself not to buy anymore,
> > but if people are giving them away...<shrug> The only ones I want to
> > buy in 2005 are SH4, and FF-12, or so I tell myself. The way things
> > presently stand, I'm going to run out of breath before I run out of
> > games. <gasp, rattle, drop>
>
> This is what I am finding too. When I was a kid with tons of time, I had
NO
> money to buy videogames or the systems. Now I am older, working, own a
> house, I have the money to buy games... lots of them. But I have no time
> to play them. Between cleaning, doing the laundry, cutting grass,
> painting, cooking, having a life, there is no time to play games, and like
> you I have quite a stack of unfinished games. I am only 27 and have been
> playing videogames since the days of d/l games off of BBS's and playing
> them on my 286.
>
> Kids, take this from me, you ain't always going to have tons of free time
to
> put 80 hours into final fantasy. You will be lucky to put in 1/2 hour per
> night. Reality is shite. You can't stay in your mom's basement forever
> playing video games (well maybe some of you will).


The old Time / Money problem. I realized this when I was 15 and started
working so I could race bicycles. Only problem was I always had to work on
race day.


drax
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 3:47:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 menu boy <ilmobixMYLIFE@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but it seems like the market is going away from RPGs.
> I'm STILL playing old RPGs on the PS1 and SNES.

I don't quite see how you can say that... Just recentally there's been
at least 3 or 4 new RPGs released for the PS2. A good RPG will last you
between 40-60 hours on average, which is the same as 2-4 other games for
the most part...

Other consoles, sure, very few RPGs.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:44:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

richb <richberi@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1vidnQmG2dyNvQncRVn-gA@rogers.com:

> Braska wrote:

>
> This is what I am finding too. When I was a kid with tons of time, I
> had NO money to buy videogames or the systems. Now I am older,
> working, own a house, I have the money to buy games... lots of them.
> But I have no time to play them. Between cleaning, doing the laundry,
> cutting grass, painting, cooking, having a life, there is no time to
> play games, and like you I have quite a stack of unfinished games. I
> am only 27 and have been playing videogames since the days of d/l
> games off of BBS's and playing them on my 286.


I am you. :) 

I just bought a house, now I have 50,000 things to do everyday.
Unfortunately, gaming is #49,999 on the list.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:49:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"In the beginning, it was: I am a gamer.
>
> It is not so simple anymore. I have neither the time nor money to be
> just a gamer. Hence, the subject title. Of course, even that is
> becoming too broad.
<<snip>>

I hear ya!
I recently promised myself that I would NOT buy any new games. Right after
that, I went out and bought 7 more games! Aaaarrgghh! One for GBA was on
sale, WalMart.com had a great deal on PS2 games, so I got 4 of them, and 2
came from EB that were used! That's not even counting Ratchet 3. I bought
that brand new, telling myself that I would finish it right away and sell it
before the price went down. Hmmm, still working on it along with all these
other games.
I did do well with Ratchet 2. I waited till it came out as a greatest hit
and was on sale. I played it all the way through and sold it for almost as
much as I paid for it. Better than a rental, plus I had it for well over a
week and played it over 100 hours. I do have a lot of time, but not a lot of
money. So, I have to be careful with what I buy. I want San Andreas and I
know that is going to take a while to drop in price. BUT, before I buy that,
I am going to finish some of the games I already have and sell them to get
the money for San Andreas. I like all sorts of games, have a PS2 and GBA SP.
I just recently got the GBA and I find that the prices don't fall as much as
fast on those games.
I was stuck on FFX and got past that point, so I am going to finish that
before I get FFX-2. I see that new it is less than $20! I am glad I waited.
I have wasted a LOT of money buying games when they first come out and never
get finished. Of course, I will always have a library of games to play, some
I will never sell, games like Namco Museum and the like that you can just
pick up and play anytime for a few minutes, etc.
But, buying and selling used is definitely the way to go! Just make a list
of the games you want and when you finish one, sell it and buy one from your
list. You will save a LOT of money that way!
Good Luck!
!