Currently in the middle of my first build

junibo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I'm mounting the motherboard right now. I have all of the standoffs in the right places, but 3 of the screws don't go in far enough for the cap of the screw to touch the mobo. Will this cause problems?

Solution
Make sure theres no bits in the standoff that could be stalling the screws,
if necessary take them all out, use a pair of pliers to hold the standoffs and screw a mobo screw all the way in to seat, put the ones you've cleared to one side obv.
all screws should be touching the Mobo, its support as much as grounding, but triplecheck the spacing on standoffs, and that your using the correct screws
Moto
Make sure theres no bits in the standoff that could be stalling the screws,
if necessary take them all out, use a pair of pliers to hold the standoffs and screw a mobo screw all the way in to seat, put the ones you've cleared to one side obv.
all screws should be touching the Mobo, its support as much as grounding, but triplecheck the spacing on standoffs, and that your using the correct screws
Moto

Solution

striker410

Distinguished
Ohh ok. I've had that happen to me. What I would suggest you do is unscrew the mobo, take a small pair of pliers, and turn the standoffs real tight. You don't have to worry about putting to much pressure on a metal case.
Then you know how to do it right? You screw them all in (I go clockwise) but do so loosely. Then repeat the process, tightening them this time. This ensures even tension across the entire board.

junibo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for all the help. I had to take out the problematic standoffs and hold them with a pliers and screw in a screw part way and back it out repeatedly until I could screw it the whole way in. After reinstalling the standoffs I was finally able to install the mobo with all the screws snuggly seated.