Sign in with
Your question

Can I use an external graphics card with my Vaio NR serise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2011 3:53:29 PM

Hello, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498. I was wondering if it was possible to use an external graphics card, so I can play games like city of heroes on my laptop. The Intel grahics chip sucks! So is it possible to use an external graphics card with my Vaio. If so what would I need to do?
a c 158 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:24:44 PM

No external video card (including the high-end stuff from Matrox), is good enough to play games one. You'd have to get a new laptop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:30:57 PM

lol sorry buddy it doesn't work like that if you really want to game just build a mid range desktop.... laptops are really expensive to game with and then they usually have zero upgrade path
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:49:17 PM

There is a product called the vidock which allows you to use a desktop gpu but only at pcie x1 1.0. http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=V...

Or if you want to save $100, DIY your own, all it requires is an expresscard to pcie adapter and your choice of psu+gpu.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...

With either option, there are quite a few benchmarks on that forum as well as youtube videos of playing cod, sc2, crysis, etc, not maxed but high detail as the video card will be limited to pcie x1 1.0.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:52:55 PM

^ lol are you kidding me? that is def not worth it
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 9:08:09 PM

k1114 said:
There is a product called the vidock which allows you to use a desktop gpu but only at pcie x1 1.0. http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=V...

Or if you want to save $100, DIY your own, all it requires is an expresscard to pcie adapter and your choice of psu+gpu.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...

With either option, there are quite a few benchmarks on that forum as well as youtube videos of playing cod, sc2, crysis, etc, not maxed but high detail as the video card will be limited to pcie x1 1.0.

Great info, had no idea these products were out there, although they come at a cost of about half of a real PC.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 9:16:22 PM

Which is why Id recommend the DIY build, its pretty simple but yes the price of gpu+psu+$85 adapter is somewhat of a big price just to play a game on your old laptop.

Edit: Youd probably see more products as new laptops exprescards run at x2 2.0 (8gb/s) and if thunderbolt gets popular that 10gb/s. x1 1.0 is 2gb/s, desktop x16 2.0 is 64 gb/s, thats gigabits not gigabytes btw.
m
l
April 5, 2011 10:34:40 PM

when it comes to computers I'm completely stupid about this stuff. Say I were to get the vidock3 what graphics card would be best to purchase. the main reason I want to play games on lap rather than a pc is mobility. that i don't exactly have room for a pc.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 5, 2011 11:56:59 PM

There are small pcs, Im guessing youve never seen a mini itx, I just quickly looked up a random one and it was 10"x9"x4". The vidock does require an external monitor. So unless youre using a tv then it would take up pretty much the same space as a desktop.

The vidock 3 is a max of 75W so the best card would be a HD 5670.

The only difference in a diy setup vs vidock is a nice metal box to put the card in.
m
l
April 6, 2011 3:13:21 AM

Ahhh okay I see...well I do have an external monitor, well my tv actually...that should be sufficient as a monitor right
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 4:20:49 AM

As long as it has hdmi.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 2:03:39 PM

If you wanted the laptop for mobility, you just blew that out of the water with the external solution, now you are carrying around a cinder-block sized and weight piece of equipment with the laptop. And you need to hook it up to an external monitor.

Before spending a few hundred on a video card and monitor and the card dock, maybe you should look into a new laptop with a real video card, or a desktop PC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 2:15:22 PM

yeah a desktop would be your least expensive/ highest performing option
m
l
!