Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BIOS splash screen hangs at startup

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:35:59 AM

Hey, so I'm not quite sure where to post this because I'm not sure what exactly is causing my issue here.

My pertinent components:
-win 7 64 bit oem
-i5-3570k
-asrock z77 extreme6
-samsung ssd 830 (256gb)
-corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3
-razer blackwidow ultimate (me3)
-2 sata dvd/blu-ray drives
-1 WD essentials 1TB USB 2.0 external HDD
-1 WD my book essentials 3TB USB 3.0/2.0 external HDD

Basically, my issue is that after pushing the power button - the BIOS splash screen appears, but it is unresponsive for ~10 seconds. I noticed that my keyboard numlock light wouldn't light up until ~10 seconds had passed and I could finally enter the BIOS menu/options. I tried googling for answers, but I can't find anything that's actually helpful.

I do remember that when I first built my new computer ~2 weeks ago, the BIOS screen only appeared for 1 second (the BIOS timeout is set to 1 second) and my computer would immediately load windows and everything worked out just fine. I'm wondering if there's some setting I switched on/off that's changing everything? I also tried loading one of my earliest backups, but it didn't help either.

Also, I tried clearing the CMOS (there's a button for it on this mobo), but that didn't help either.

And on a side note, ~75% of the time after the splash screen goes away, my monitor loses signal (goes to a blue screen, not BSOD) and the windows log-in screen doesn't appear for another ~7 seconds or so.

So I'm really not sure what's going on. Any suggestions? Again, none of the issues went away after clearing the CMOS. Should I try flashing my BIOS and reinstalling it?

My ssd is set in ACHI mode if that helps at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have an EVGA gtx 670 (stock)
a c 1097 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 5:11:35 PM

Couple of things, in your BIOS you have a setting where you can get rid of the splash screen and display post, then you can see where it is hanging! Quick boot is another thing but I am not sure it is your problem http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_quick_boot
m
l

Best solution

a c 462 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 6:44:13 PM

try unplugging your usb drives and just have the keyboard and mouse plugged in.it could be the mb trying to post and power the usb ports and there pulling to much power at post. i would also check to see that your mb is reading the ram speed right. if your using the onboard video and not a video card check that it the first video device and check that the setting as set to factory default. if you have a video card make sure it set to the first device. also chek in the bios that the lucid feature is off if your only using the onboard or reg video card. the feature works but i has lots of bugs right now. i have it on my asus mb and it buggy i turned it off and the mb runs fine.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 7:06:55 PM

Hmm, I remember reading something about "quick boot" but I found it hard to find on my asrock z77 extreme6 mobo for some reason.

Also, my ram is rated at ddr3 1600, but when I plugged them into my mobo, and booted, they defaulted to 1333...so I'm not sure why that happened. I went into my BIOS and manually changed the speed to 1600 and enabled XMP profile 1.2. Dunno what that is though...xD

I can't believe I forgot to mention it, I have an EVGA gtx 670 (stock) as my video card. Is there a way to disable the onboard graphics card in my BIOS? Maybe that's adding to my issue here?

Ima go tinker with the settings some more and update here if I make any progress.

EDIT: Ok so I figured out that I quick boot was already enabled by default. I tried unplugging my usb drives (left the keyboard/mouse plugged in) and my BIOS splash screen only appeared for 1 second (which is how long I set it to stay for). So that worked for some reason?

The things I had plugged into USB ports were:

-USB 3.0 port -- WD 3TB mybook essentials USB 3.0/2.0 external HDD
-USB 2.0 port -- USB 2.0 HUB with the following components connected (Logitech G35 gaming headset and WD 1TB essentials USB 2.0 external HDD)

Do you guys think its okay for me to disable legacy USB 3.0 support and USB 2.0 support in my BIOS? There's already separate options to leave the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 controllers enabled.
m
l
a c 1097 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 7:34:25 PM

The default for your CPU is 1333MHz on the ram XMP is the right way of running the ram at 1600. Try leaving the HDD's unplugged.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 10:53:58 PM

it may be one of the hard drive is spining up slow and hanging the usb port. you can check to see if there a bios update for the usb drives..just be careful it might wipe the data on the drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 3:33:39 AM

Yea, I think the 3tb hdd is slow to spin up for some reason. Leaving that one unplugged seems to solve the bios splash screen hanging issue. Comp gets to login screen in like 5 seconds now =)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 1:07:18 AM

Best answer selected by fudoka711.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:21:24 PM

I had what seems like the exact same problem.

I Googled around and tried a couple of things:

Go into Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management and make sure the the SSD C: is set for Healthy(System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) and the System Reserved 100 MB NTFS partition that Windows builds on the same SSD is only set to Healthy (Primary Partition) but not listed as System or Boot or anything else.

If you are still using your old boot spinner in the system make sure that it is not listed as anything other than "Primary Partition". it should no longer be designated as Boot, System, or anything else.

Then, I did a System Repair Install from the original Windows 7 Disk.
A screen will come up where it will ask you to describe what the problem is.
I do not recall the exact words but is was something about loading or booting, I think.

That did somenting that made my system work as I had expected.

Very fast. No hang at the boot screen, although it does appear.

Do get this up and running with no disks attached by USB.

I hope this helps you are someone else Googling the problem.

Good luck!

Hal

Key words:

Samsung SSD Solid State Drive Windows 7 boot window hang freeze slow install Samsung SSD

fudoka711 said:
Hey, so I'm not quite sure where to post this because I'm not sure what exactly is causing my issue here.

My pertinent components:
-win 7 64 bit oem
-i5-3570k
-asrock z77 extreme6
-samsung ssd 830 (256gb)
-corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3
-razer blackwidow ultimate (me3)
-2 sata dvd/blu-ray drives
-1 WD essentials 1TB USB 2.0 external HDD
-1 WD my book essentials 3TB USB 3.0/2.0 external HDD

Basically, my issue is that after pushing the power button - the BIOS splash screen appears, but it is unresponsive for ~10 seconds. I noticed that my keyboard numlock light wouldn't light up until ~10 seconds had passed and I could finally enter the BIOS menu/options. I tried googling for answers, but I can't find anything that's actually helpful.

I do remember that when I first built my new computer ~2 weeks ago, the BIOS screen only appeared for 1 second (the BIOS timeout is set to 1 second) and my computer would immediately load windows and everything worked out just fine. I'm wondering if there's some setting I switched on/off that's changing everything? I also tried loading one of my earliest backups, but it didn't help either.

Also, I tried clearing the CMOS (there's a button for it on this mobo), but that didn't help either.

And on a side note, ~75% of the time after the splash screen goes away, my monitor loses signal (goes to a blue screen, not BSOD) and the windows log-in screen doesn't appear for another ~7 seconds or so.

So I'm really not sure what's going on. Any suggestions? Again, none of the issues went away after clearing the CMOS. Should I try flashing my BIOS and reinstalling it?

My ssd is set in ACHI mode if that helps at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have an EVGA gtx 670 (stock)

m
l
December 13, 2012 1:53:55 PM

when i switch on the pc comes the asrock splash screen and nothing happens,the windows doesn't boot up, so when i reset it many times than the splash screen goes. any ideas pls how to solve this prob?., regards..james
m
l
December 13, 2012 1:57:26 PM

when i switch on the pc comes the asrock splash screen and nothing happens,the windows doesn't boot up, so when i reset my pc many times than the splash screen goes and windows boot normally. any ideas pls how to solve this prob?., regards.. James.
m
l
!