Your question

Weird Issue....

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Burner
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 12, 2011 6:48:03 PM

I built my new computer over the weekend and when I went for the first boot I hear a pop and a slight burning smell. I turn it off and look inside but nothing noticeably sticks out, no burn marks, the smell had subsided. So I boot back up, all fans were running and then installed Windows. I installed the device driver after for my Video Card (Asus Radeon 6850) and it shows it as fine. Played a little Starcraft 2 on Ultra Video Settings for about 3 hours and it was awesome to say the least. At the end my software read the internal temp at about 37 C.

But I'm not sure what that original pop and slight burning was, all components are fine it appears but I am concerned of what that was and if I should be concerned. Any thoughts would be great!

More about : weird issue

a c 716 ) Power supply
September 12, 2011 7:47:34 PM

The pop I do not know but if everything is new including PSU it is not uncommon to smell a little when first running.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:49:22 PM

I've heard about some "burning in" with new components and since then I haven't had any issues, I'm more worried about future issues and if I should be concerned.
m
l
Related resources
a c 716 ) Power supply
September 12, 2011 7:55:55 PM

If you are not having any issues and your components are quality (especially PSU) I would not be overly concerned.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2011 8:00:23 PM

rolli59 said:
If you are not having any issues and your components are quality (especially PSU) I would not be overly concerned.

+1. Agreed. Just keep an eye on your system for a few days.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2011 10:35:42 PM

Screw that, if you really heard a pop and didn't see anything on your mother board or addin cards (I'd be looking for a popped capacitor myself) then take the PSU back and get another one. One that doesn't go 'pop'. LOL
You can smell thru the rear vents if you want but I bet thats were something popped.
m
l
!