Should I update latest bios and other available updates

i-blaze

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
GUYS GUYS, i recently upgraded ma rig to fx8120 and asus m5a97 evo.. I was wondering should i update my BIOS well my current BIOS version is 0902(2011.12.12) and everything is working fine.

I just wanna upgrade it + my friend also brought the same mobo week after i did and his bios version is 1004(2012.02.23), dats the 1 after mine.

I was searching for the latest bios on the official site i found the latest BIOS version:1208 was updated on 2012.05.24.

( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_EVO/#download )

buy wen I tried downloading the lasted BIOS directly from AI suites its shows only till 1004(2012.02.23) .......where as on the official site its has updates till version:1208 2012.05.24. WHY????

and IS IT OK IF I UPDATE MA BIOS IF YES DEN TO WHICH VERSION SHOULD I UPDATE TO ?????

AND what are the other list of downloads all bout on the site ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_EVO/#download )

Qualified Vendor List
BIOS
BIOS-Utilities
Chipset
AUDIO
LAN
USB
Utilities
SATA
Manual

I mean are they safe to update or i dont need to update dem if i update my bios ????????

Nope, it is just passing the HW info.

It would, if some HW would have a serious issue.

Examples when to flash the BIOS usually are:

1. New CPU was released
4. Memory compatibility issues + new RAM models are released
3. Remember when the new 2+TB HDD have been released? New BIOS was needed.

The drivers can and will improve performance, especially the video drivers.

Also, bad driver can decrease the performance.

It is not advised to update your BIOS unless there is a reason you need to do it, and the new BIOS revision specifically says the update is written to fix your particular problem.

The best advice about your BIOS, just as already mentioned here by others, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. There is nothing in your BIOS that works like a driver. It will have no effect on your system performance, your BIOS merely sets the basic parameters your hardware needs to function, and its simply a case of it either works, or it does not.

Also we might add that if you mess up the flash process, or you flash the wrong version, you can instantly render your motherboard dead, with no recourse but return it to the manufacture to have the BIOS fixed, or buy a new motherboard.

What device was it and what driver version?

What is the source of your drivers for what devices?

Looks like wrong driver was attempting to install.