Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down from playing Crysis 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2011 7:05:46 PM

I have looked on many forums and they are all saying it's a PSU problem but I just want to make sure this is 100% correct before I spend money. All of my temperatures are fine, my CPU never goes over 50c when playing any game.... my GPU temps are fine as well... when I Alt and tab the temps are about 80-85c. Do I have enough power for my system?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz cooled by Corsair H50 CPU cooler

Memory: Corsair XMS2 1066Mhz 4096MB RAM

Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB + Samsung 1TB

Video Card: XFX ATi 4890 OC ( 870Mhz GPU clock - 975 Memory clock)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 GeForce 7100 Socket 775 mATX Motherboard

Computer Case: Antec 900 hundred 2

PSU: Storm 700w

This is my PSU I have at the moment :- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/700w-storm-lpk19-35-120m...

a c 105 à CPUs
April 4, 2011 7:14:34 PM

it's not a good PSU. i doubt it could ever supply 700w, or even 500w but your system doesn't use anywhere near that at gaming. It probably is the PSU but I would play around with the drivers just to make sure its not them.

i strongly suggest a quality PSU rather then the cheapest one that "offers" a lot of power.
April 4, 2011 7:16:30 PM

Whaat PSU would you recommend?
Related resources
April 4, 2011 8:07:30 PM

Hi this is what I done on the PSU capacity calculator and this is what it came with:

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3000 MHz Wolfdale
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 4890
Video Type: Single Card

Regular SATA: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

USB: 1 Device
Fan Controller: Yes

Fans
LED: 4 Fans 120mm; 1 Fan 140mm;

Cold Cathodes: 1 Cathode

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 90 %

Recommended Minimum
PSU Wattage: 410 Watts
a c 478 à CPUs
April 4, 2011 9:49:35 PM

Before buying a new PSU (I recommend Seasonic), reduce your HD 4890 to stock speed to see if your PC continues to shut down.
a c 105 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 1:38:24 AM

the antec HCG is a seasonic platform PSU
April 5, 2011 2:42:08 AM

Buy something 500W and above. They are sold ~ $50US $60US

Antec PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Corsair

XFX

Take note some PSU's are modular other's are not. Check the specs of the PSU before making the purchase.

My personal preference since last year is Corsair... Well that's me(My PCS are on 34x7) you have to make your choice. Antec, Corsair are great PSUs.
a c 105 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 3:15:15 AM

leon2006 said:
Buy something 500W and above. They are sold ~ $50US $60US

he's in the UK, different supply, different demand, different price structure
April 5, 2011 3:57:33 AM

Electrical Power in Watts is the same...Your PC will consume the same amount of power here in the US and in UK. PC PSU are auto Volt and multi freq 50HZ EU or 60 HZ US. Make your pick any PSU above 500Watts.

We can't do anything about the price structure in UK. You have to choose the best that would work for you.

Same thing... Antec and Corsair are one of the best supplies for PC.
a c 105 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 4:10:55 AM

leon2006 said:
Electrical Power in Watts is the same...Your PC will consume the same amount of power here in the US and in UK. PC PSU are auto Volt and multi freq 50HZ EU or 60 HZ US. Make your pick any PSU above 500Watts.

We can't do anything about the price structure in UK. You have to choose the best that would work for you.

Same thing... Antec and Corsair are one of the best supplies for PC.

oh my god you are an idiot. i am talking about product demand and product supply, not power demand of PC hardware and power supply. how the hell did you come up with that conclusion? didn't the words "price structure" tip you off that I was talking about purchasing products?! :pfff: 
April 5, 2011 6:23:21 AM

ITGeek123... You have the needed information to choose the PSU for your PC...

Cheers
April 5, 2011 8:31:50 AM

Guys what about cooler master power supplies? are they good or what?
a c 478 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 8:36:07 AM

neo700 said:
Guys what about cooler master power supplies? are they good or what?

Generally no.

Only some of the more expensive ones ($125+) are considered good because they actually use a decent OEM manufacturer to make them.
a c 100 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 10:52:28 AM

Lost faith in Antec power supplies just had a 650w earthwatts failure, took a M/B and possibly the CPU with it, 2nd Antec power supply gone bad in a years time period, about the only thing I'll buy Antec wise now, is a computer case.

I recommend Seasonic, Silverstone, and PCP&C, not necessarily in that order, those are all solid brand name power supply companies and I own and use one of each or I wouldn't recommend them.
April 5, 2011 1:38:04 PM

Its hard to make generic statement to cover all models. Its always a good practice to review specific brand and models. Since not all model from specific brands are good.

Sites like this will provide you with more insites on the specific hardware...There are other sites that provides similar or equivalent reviews.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

User has to consider its specific needs and preference.

As on my other posts pertaining to PSU... My personal preference is Corsair. Cost is not an issue. The computer downtime is more expensive in my case than the cost of PSU. Higher reliability is more important to me. I have 3 machines that run 24x7 for different requirements/needs.
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2011 1:49:55 PM

Corsair is my personal favorite... Both my son and I have the VX550 and our systems are on 24/7....Never a problem...and they are now about 2 years old and going strong!
PC Power & Cooling are also top supplies....
The feature I like best is the single +12Volt rail....Mine gives 42 amps and my brothers PCP&C silencer610 gives 60 amps.
Hope this helps!

JQ
!