7950GT AGP Graphics Card Fried? help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
helloooo..

Once again, another problem with my 6-7 year old system..

My AGP card won't let my computer boot with display properly.. a beep code like so occurs:
*BEEEEEEEEEEEPP BEEP BEEP* / 1 long 2 short.. I looked it up and i guess it means its a graphics card issue (Phoenix - AWARDBios is my bios)...

This is has been occasionally malfunctioning and causing my system to do this. Once in a while, the system boots fine, but if i restart the system, it starts beeping again but yet the system boots, and i hear the Win. XP intro theme, but no display =[ and the weirdness continues...

This is what i did to confirm this, and to debunk the thought that my AGP slot on my mobo fried: I used my friend's nV GeForce FX 5200 AGP in my system on my AGP slot and it worked. Even to test it, i played UT2004 on it in a heavy game mode where the fps dropped to right around 30, and yet it kept up so nothing wrong with slot, except that the 5200 doesnt need PSU 4-pin molex assistance while my 7950GT does, so idk but anyways the slots ok and i tried a different 4-pin molex connector so i highly doubt my 750W overkill PSU gave up the ghost.

bottom line

Whats wrong with my 7950GT!? (by the way its really not that old, less than two years old bought it brand new and kept good cooling for it).

Solution
Could be your PSU is faulty and gave your card too much current, or it could just be a faulty card. I'd contact Axle 3D and see if they can't replace it for you. If they say yes then great, but if not oh well. You could always go with a Radeon X1950 Pro AGP instead (saw some of those on there), but I have an X1950 GT and the drivers can be a pain let me tell you ^_^

I looked up their card on ebay and sure enough there are a couple of new ones. Did Axle come accross a box of old 7950GTs or something? Anyway, doesn't look like the reference design I remember, but then the 7950GT AGP was kind of nonstandard as nVidia initially only allowed the PCI-E version and then let vendors go off on their own for the AGP versions.
Either the card or the psu by your post.

The 7950gt agp is a hard card to come by and expensive on eBay. I suggest that you try to see if you could test your card in another machine if not inspect and clean the card of any dust while looking for signs of failure or damage such as burn marks or missing parts on the pcb. Next what model is the psu in this machine and not just quote wattage of the unit.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I still highly doubt the PSU is faulty, i think i bought it back in like beginning of 09, but i didnt use it until i got the 7950GT which was around the summer time in 09, but the PSU is an Ultra LSP 750 PRO. Its not hard to come by anymore(7950GT AGP), lol theres alot of them being sold on ebay from Axle3D(the one i have) and some other cheap company idk, its got a red board, brand new ones. OH! by the way i dont overclock this thing, the 7950GT, it is already bottlenecked by my processor(check out my system on more information link). I have no where i can think of to test this card freely. I have to wait next week(spring break now) until i can talk to my future computer networking teacher so he could probably test it.

Could be your PSU is faulty and gave your card too much current, or it could just be a faulty card. I'd contact Axle 3D and see if they can't replace it for you. If they say yes then great, but if not oh well. You could always go with a Radeon X1950 Pro AGP instead (saw some of those on there), but I have an X1950 GT and the drivers can be a pain let me tell you ^_^

I looked up their card on ebay and sure enough there are a couple of new ones. Did Axle come accross a box of old 7950GTs or something? Anyway, doesn't look like the reference design I remember, but then the 7950GT AGP was kind of nonstandard as nVidia initially only allowed the PCI-E version and then let vendors go off on their own for the AGP versions.

Solution

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah, only XFX was first to do it, then out of nowhere Axle3D does it and then that other cheap company does it now too. I should contact Axle3D eh? I could.. I dont like ATI very much =p hehe.. So what is it? You think my card just gave up the ghost and went corrupted?

Should i do this? Buy a 7600GT/GS on ebay for like nearly 30 bucks and sell this whole system(click on more information>member config by my avatar place and stuff) for like 250 or 200 and build a new system? =D

Well give the card a try in a different system and report back. By the way this card doesn't use that much power. Less than 90w typically. I have personally owned the 7800gs, three 7900gs, and still own two 7900gtx duo (original quad sli) so I know this gen fairly well.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I actually have a 7900 GS from BFG that still works. Should throw that up on e-bay for ya : )

The card worked great for me when my 9800xt died. But to compliment the posts here, honestly it sounds like the card might have died, but to verify, try your 7950 in another system to see if it works. If not, then you know it's the card. If so, then it could be your PSU.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Alrighty, thanks alot guys. By the way, GeForce 7 Series owners, how much are you willing to sell your card? I could be buying one tonight(like early morning) for around 30 bucks... AGP.

EVGA 7800gs co Sold
EVGA 7600gs modded bios sold
EVGA 7600gs same as above Sold
EVGA 7900gs KO Sold
EVGA 7900gs KO Sold
EVGA 7900gs KO Sold
Alienware 7900gtx duo Bricked as in dead
Alienware 7900gtx duo works but not in most boards except for those with Intel chipset.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Yeah! Honestly the processor did bottleneck the 7950GT. Check out my System specs in member configuration. Its a Northwood processor not Prescott though.

Status
Not open for further replies.