What the colored pins and plugs on PS's mean and are for?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
On modular power supplies, what are the various 6 pin red or blue colored pins or plugs for as opposed to the regular 4 pin plugs?

What goes where?

And for the 20/24 main mobo plug, if your mobo has a 24 plug receptacle, but has a little piece of instructional tape or sticker over the last 4 holes, what does that mean? Should you just plug in all 24 pins? Does your mobo manual tell you what to plug in or not? Will you blow up your mobo if you plug in all 24 pins instead of just the first 20?

Thanks all.

That tape is there to show you where to plug in a 20 pin plug, if you only have 20 ofc, same with the 4/8 pin cpu socket, if you only have a 4 pin cpu line from your psu, use the uncovered ones
As for the colour codes on a modular psu I can only say refer to the manual I'm afraid
Although as a rough guide, the 6 pin will be for graphics cards
Moto

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have to actually read the manual? Aw Jeeeze,....that's way too hard. What torture will they think up next? Maybe I should buy a Mac. Just kidding.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
My ASRock Z68 Pro manual is about 256 pages long of which about 34 are in English, the rest in various other languages.

And I must be getting old or going blind, but some of the type fonts are so small that I have to use a magnifying glass and even that is not enough for some of the type around the little pin diagrams. Does it cost them a few pennies more to use a larger type font? I wonder if I can download an online manual for my board that I can actually read?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well, I did download the ASRock Z68 Pro 3 manual from the ASRock site and you can enlarge it to whatever magnified level you need to read some of the small type on the USB pin plugs etc. Now all I have to do is read it and duh, understand it. I hope I don't get a brain freeze or other bodily function noise. I guess the English would call it a brain break wind.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

That's exactly what I did MotoPsycho. Are you a biker? Ride a Harley or a rice rocket road racer? None of my business of course.

Biker yes, a chopped '82 VF750 Magna called Serenity ofc
22102009061.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

Slogans is actually the model spec of the ship from Firefly/Serenity :)
Moto

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
How can you be English and not drink beer? No fish and chips? How about lamb? Lot's of sheep in Oz and Nz. How about Tasmania? Great red and white wines in Oz.

If you like bike movies, did you ever see Mad Max or The Road Warrior? Both Australian.

I've drunk several lifetimes worth of beer already hehe, got bored of it, fish and chips is a cliche to be honest, its got to be 15 years since I last had any chips,
Lamb is very edible and yes, seen all Max films as a youngster, not sure on road warrior but it seems to be another name for mad max according to imdb
Moto