Combined Camara & Computer Bag Suggestions

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 5:52:14 AM

I am trying to find a satchel style bag that will carry my digital slr
camera (with two lenses and assorted other accessories) and will also
carry my normal size (15" screen) laptop. I don't want a backpack,
unless that is the only way to go. I would rather have a leather or
canvas over-the-shoulder satchel or soft briefcase. There should be
inner pockets for the camera and lenses, as well as a padded pocket for
the laptop. I have found a couple of bags by Domke (the F806 and the
F803), but am not sure if either of those would hold both laptop, camera
and lenses at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
March 6, 2005 1:12:16 PM

Tony,

For years I've only ever used the shoulder type Billingham bags for my gear
but just lately I've switched to a back pack to try & distribute the weight
more evenly (as the weight on one shoulder constantly was starting to give
me back problems).

I went for Lowepro's CompuTrekker AW

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Co...

This holds a 15" Laptop in it's own padded pocket plus all my gear (Canon
20D, Canon 10D, Flash, 3x L Lenses, 2x Teleconvertors + assorted bits - card
readers, batteries, etc.) and is really comfy to carry all day.

Regards

DM

"Tony Graber" <books64@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to find a satchel style bag that will carry my digital slr
>camera (with two lenses and assorted other accessories) and will also carry
>my normal size (15" screen) laptop. I don't want a backpack, unless that
>is the only way to go. I would rather have a leather or canvas
>over-the-shoulder satchel or soft briefcase. There should be inner pockets
>for the camera and lenses, as well as a padded pocket for the laptop. I
>have found a couple of bags by Domke (the F806 and the F803), but am not
>sure if either of those would hold both laptop, camera and lenses at the
>same time. Any thoughts or ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 2:49:58 PM

In article <gpAWd.155779$Yu.78638@fed1read01>, Tony Graber
<books64@yahoo.com> writes
>I am trying to find a satchel style bag that will carry my digital slr
>camera (with two lenses and assorted other accessories) and will also
>carry my normal size (15" screen) laptop. I don't want a backpack,
>unless that is the only way to go. I would rather have a leather or
>canvas over-the-shoulder satchel or soft briefcase. There should be
>inner pockets for the camera and lenses, as well as a padded pocket for
>the laptop. I have found a couple of bags by Domke (the F806 and the
>F803), but am not sure if either of those would hold both laptop,
>camera and lenses at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tony

In the February/March edition of UK photo magazine "f2 - Freelance +
Digital", Richard Kilpatrick reviews the LowePro Stealth Reporter 650AW.
It could be the exact bag you are looking for: a very well protected
laptop space which easily accommodates a 15" screen machine and does not
cause scuffing, and space for somewhat more camera equipment than you
specify (but as you probably know, camera gear breeds in captivity, and
the extra space will come in useful). Cost is stated to be £140 in the
UK, so probably about $150 if you are in the USA (grrr!).

I was so impressed by the review that I plan to look for one myself,
despite having 5 outfit bags of various sizes already. Should be just
right for business trips with photo opportunities.

I don't know if this is the same bag as suggested by DM.

Regards,

David
--
David Littlewood
Related resources

Hi David,

No, the Stealth II AW is different...

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/St...

Less gear but with places for overnight clothing, etc.

CompuTrekker AW...

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Co...

Deeper, takes more gear & more robust

Regards

DM

"David Littlewood" <david@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <gpAWd.155779$Yu.78638@fed1read01>, Tony Graber
> <books64@yahoo.com> writes
>>I am trying to find a satchel style bag that will carry my digital slr
>>camera (with two lenses and assorted other accessories) and will also
>>carry my normal size (15" screen) laptop. I don't want a backpack, unless
>>that is the only way to go. I would rather have a leather or canvas
>>over-the-shoulder satchel or soft briefcase. There should be inner
>>pockets for the camera and lenses, as well as a padded pocket for the
>>laptop. I have found a couple of bags by Domke (the F806 and the F803),
>>but am not sure if either of those would hold both laptop, camera and
>>lenses at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tony
>
> In the February/March edition of UK photo magazine "f2 - Freelance +
> Digital", Richard Kilpatrick reviews the LowePro Stealth Reporter 650AW.
> It could be the exact bag you are looking for: a very well protected
> laptop space which easily accommodates a 15" screen machine and does not
> cause scuffing, and space for somewhat more camera equipment than you
> specify (but as you probably know, camera gear breeds in captivity, and
> the extra space will come in useful). Cost is stated to be £140 in the UK,
> so probably about $150 if you are in the USA (grrr!).
>
> I was so impressed by the review that I plan to look for one myself,
> despite having 5 outfit bags of various sizes already. Should be just
> right for business trips with photo opportunities.
>
> I don't know if this is the same bag as suggested by DM.
>
> Regards,
>
> David
> --
> David Littlewood
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 5:35:50 PM

DM wrote:
> For years I've only ever used the shoulder type Billingham bags for
my gear
> but just lately I've switched to a back pack to try & distribute the
weight
> more evenly (as the weight on one shoulder constantly was starting to
give
> me back problems).

I like beltpack better. It feels less heavy than shoulder bag, and
backpack, when carried on the hip in the back. And it is as easy to
access as shoulder bag. Unlike backpack, beltpack does not need to be
put on the ground for access. It can be accessed while on the waist in
the front.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Or...
!