New Build Improvements?

jonlewis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello All,

My apologies in advance as i am fairly new to the PC world - I recently purchased a prebuilt system from ibuypower as i didn't want to completely chance building or customizing from scratch. I am basically looking for your opinion on the specs and advice on any area's i might want to improve on... i'm hoping i have bought something that will last for a while and be able to be upgraded as and when neceserry

Thanks in advance

Brand iBUYPOWER
Model Gamer Chimera L5XLCK
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive 2TB SATA III
Optical Drive 1 Blu-Ray Combo Drive
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB
Audio Sound card - Integrated - Upgraded to ASUS Xonar Essence
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply 800W
iBUYPOWER 240mm Dual Radiator Liquid Cooler: it has twice the cooling potential of standard 120mm liquid coolers. CPU

Solution
what motherboard and what brand is that PSU? the PSU might be the only thing id change, most manufacturers tend to install poor quality ones by default. Catastrophic PSU failures can destroy your computer and poor ripple and voltage control can slowly destroy components.
im sure the whole thing cost you a pretty penny, but it looks like a great system. If you have an appropriate motherboard, you might want to consider buying a high quality power supply that can support 2 gtx 580's

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
what motherboard and what brand is that PSU? the PSU might be the only thing id change, most manufacturers tend to install poor quality ones by default. Catastrophic PSU failures can destroy your computer and poor ripple and voltage control can slowly destroy components.
im sure the whole thing cost you a pretty penny, but it looks like a great system. If you have an appropriate motherboard, you might want to consider buying a high quality power supply that can support 2 gtx 580's

Solution

jonlewis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Thank you both for replying - the motherboard is the ASUS P8P67-M, it appears this is the level entry model and to my horror wont support SLI:( The PSU looks like it is by SolyTech (ATX 800W) The MB says it supports crossfire but what good is that when it comes with a GTX580.

Thanks again

jonlewis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for the advice, any recommendations on a decent MB? - The easy bit would be buying it, installing would be another matter... Im sure there's plenty of other threads on that though.

G

Nice configuration.

As you build a high end gaming Rig,then i think you must buy a SSD for OS or Boot.

which Vendor for your GPU?

jonlewis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Didnt realize i was getting responses (sorry) Thanks for the answers - One of the perks i get at work are these gift cards that can only be spent on certain things... Electronics being one of them. With that being said i recently used one to upgrade the mobo to an ASUS Maximus iV Extreme and also bought a second GTX580 for SLI. With these upgrades i also felt it necessery to upgrade the PSU as well to a Corsair AX1200 - Definitely overkill but i should be good for a while now.

Thanks again