CPU heatsink fan doesn't start spinning at power-on

cortillaen

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Here are the relevant components (it's just laid out next to the case for the moment):
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K with stock heatsink fan
RAM - PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD4096KD3-1600-X8
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 775W PSU

I've got everything laid out and cables connected: The 24-pin main power plug and half of the splittable 8-pin CPU power plug, the mobo's VGA output to the monitor, and both the monitor and the PSU connected to a surge protector strip. All four pins on the fan are firmly in place.When I short the power pins to turn the system on, I get the mobo's splash screen followed by it asking me where the operating system is, but the CPU's heatsink fan doesn't spin. I checked and double-checked to make sure it's plugged into the right header. I've read that some fans don't spin up until they're needed, but I'm afraid of damaging the CPU if I let it stay on to check that theory.

I also don't have a case speaker at the moment to check for error beeps since I'm not sure if error beeps would indicate an issue that doesn't appear onscreen. It seems the mobo didn't come with one (which seems odd), and Radioshack and Bestbuy (the only two places in town that seemed likely to carry such a thing) don't carry them. The other systems in my home all seem to have some sort of integrated case speaker (pre-built Dells and laptops of various brands). Ordering one online is possible, but some of the other components will have exceeded the RMA time limit before it would arrive.

Suggestions? I'm thinking of connecting the heatsink fan directly to the PSU to make sure it runs at all, but I'm not sure if that could damage it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I noticed the same thing on my Core I5 760 and my Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V. Between 30 and 120 seconds, it did finally start spinning. I didn't notice an exorbitant amount of heat from the CPU while the fan was not spinning and the system (24/7 on) has been running smoothly ever since.

I know it's a tough call, but I'd probably suggest taking a few pictures of your set up to at least show you have things set up and plugged in correctly. Maybe even fire off a tech support question (with said pictures) to both Gigabyte and Intel to determine if this is normal behavior. If you're willing to wait for a response from them, great. If not, then at least you have some documentation that may aid in your case for an RMA.

-Wolf sends

cortillaen

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

*facepalm* And there's the obvious solution I didn't think to check. The wires were wrapped just tight enough on one side that I could still spin the fan by hand without any problem (I attributed it stopping as soon as I stopped applying force to friction in the motor), but it must have been enough to stop the fan's motor. As soon as I unwrapped the wires and powered it on, off the fan went a-spinning. Wires are re-wrapped nice and loose, and that's one mistake I'll remember not to make next time. I'm not sure what I'd do without you folks here at TH. Wait, yes I do: I'd waste a lot more time and money learning by trial and error. :sarcastic: Thanks again.