Is the HD 6850 better than the graphics card on the ps3?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Frames per second depends on a LOT more than just the GPU. You're going to want a good CPU, a good motherboard, good RAM (and a good amount of it), a fast hard drive, etc. etc.

Assuming all other specs were high, I'd say you'd be better off with a 6870. The PS3 doesn't use a "Graphics card", rather it uses its Cell architecture to distribute the video processing across its multiple cores. It's different from the 360 in that aspect, in that the 360 uses a chip from ATI.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

sure. mind you the graphics that the ps3 is pumping is way off than what a pc can produce.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

You're correct in mentioning that the PS3 has a Cell Based architecture (CPU wise) but wrong to assume it doesn't have a Graphics card.

The Graphics powering the PS3 are from nVIDIA and based on the GeForce 7800 architecture:

Name: RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'
Clock Speed: 550 MHz
Architecture: Based on NV47 Chip (Nvidia GeForce 7800 Architecture)
Transistor Count: 300+ million transistors
SPU: Multi-way programmable parallel floating-point shader pipelines
SPU ALU Architecture: 24 parallel pixel-shader ALU pipes
SPU ALU Ops: 5 ALU operations per pipeline, per cycle (2 vector4 , 2 scalar/dual/co-issue and fog ALU, 1 Texture ALU)
SPU FPU Ops: 27 floating-point operations per pipeline, per cycle
Vertex: 8 parallel vertex pipelines
Vertex ALU Ops: 2 ALU operations per pipeline, per cycle (1 vector4 and 1 scalar, dual issue)
Vertex FPU: 10 FLOPS per pipeline, per cycle
Total Computational Power: Floating Point Operations: 400.4 Gigaflops ((24 * 27 Flops + 8 * 10 Flops) * 550)
TMU: 24 texture filtering units (TF) and 8 vertex texture addressing units (TA)
TM/clk: 24 filtered samples per clock
Texel/s: Maximum texel fillrate: 13.2 GigaTexels per second (24 textures * 550 MHz)

Random Info:
32 unfiltered texture samples per clock, ( 8 TA x 4 texture samples )
8 Render Output units / pixel rendering pipelines
Peak pixel fillrate (theoretical): 4.4 Gigapixel per second
Maximum Z sample rate: 8.8 GigaSamples per second (2 Z-samples * 8 ROPs * 550 MHz)
Maximum Dot product operations: 51 billion per second (combined with Cell CPU)
128-bit pixel precision offers rendering of scenes with High dynamic range rendering (HDR)
256 MB GDDR3 RAM at 700 MHz
128-bit memory bus width
22.4 GB/s read and write bandwidth
Cell FlexIO bus interface
20 GB/s read to the Cell and XDR memory
15 GB/s write to the Cell and XDR memory
Support for PSGL (OpenGL ES 1.1 + Nvidia Cg)
Support for S3TC texture compression

All from Wikipedia but the info is quite accurate.

you have to be kidding me.....my 4 year old 8800gts is more powerful than the ps3's graphics processor.

1: You can't compare different architectures like you are trying to do.

2: The PS3 GPU is routhly equivalent to an OC'd 7800 GTX

3: The reason the PS3 can output a steady 30 FPS is because the designers have access to direct low-level functionality to the card, instead of having to interact with the GPU through the OS and drivers. You gain a LOT more efficency this way, but its hellish to program if you don't have a background in programming in low-level assembly.

mpillager

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

PC will always smoke any game console ! Apples and Oranges.

Good luck with your build.

yeah and there is no telling that the psu will deliver the specs its lists even, raidmax is not a reputable psu manufacturer, a psu is not something to go cheap on if you value your components, I would at least get something that is 80+ certified bc at least that says that it is efficient....

Reputable names manufacturers for psu's include: Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, Antec, Silverstone...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
All, comparing a PS3's video capabilities to a modern GPU like the the HD6850 in question. It is sort of like comparing apples to bananas. Both fruit, but very different in comparison. The same holds true trying to compare the "closed" PS3, in general, to a more "open" PC.

The HD6850 is fair more advanced and capable than the PS3's video subsystem. Period.

The system is pretty good, that PSU isn't awesome but it's enough for a single GPU set up. Plus the mobo only has a 16x/4x config so SLI or CF isn't really a good idea anyway.

Choosing a GPU is dependant on your budget and what resolution you play at, and what you really expect out of the games you play. If we're talking 1080p, I would really say look at a 6870, 560 Ti, or 6950 1gb. Your system will run those just fine.

yeah a 560ti would be nice, also I have that CM Storm Scout and I think it is a nice case that is reasonably prices although Ive replaced all the LED fans with Enermax 120mms they are silent and not glaring in my face, as far as the psu goes maybe at least splurge for a secong tier psu such as coolermaster, ocz, or thermaltake which I've heard of people using but personally I'd go with a quality unit especially if you intend on oc'ing which you will likely want to do with you gpu and your 955

I know Ill get some flack for this but with that motherboard, a gtx 560ti and the right psu you could also add a dedicated physx card in the 4x slot, that might be cool if you play titles that have physx, Ive considered it myself but the only game that I play that has it is batman aa and it seems to run fine on med with my gtx 570, really not a huge selling point to decide between gpus and as you can see I own an Nv card and barely use it :) but I still think a gtx 560ti or 6950 1 gig would be a great choice