Solved

Asrock n68c-s ucc restart issue

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 2, 2012 4:59:11 PM

hi guys, i bought a replacement mobo for my rig since my old one kinda gave out. i bought an asrock n68c-s ucc amd motherboard and now am experiencing restart issues.

whenever i am prompted to or decide to restart the system from within windows, the system shuts down but doesn't reboot. the fans are spinning, lights are on, no beep codes tho but i get nothing displayed on my monitor. its like its gone into sleep mode without ever ever waking up.

is this a BIOS setting issue or a faulty mobo?
September 16, 2012 12:08:50 PM

forumfan_920 said:
hi guys, i bought a replacement mobo for my rig since my old one kinda gave out. i bought an asrock n68c-s ucc amd motherboard and now am experiencing restart issues.

whenever i am prompted to or decide to restart the system from within windows, the system shuts down but doesn't reboot. the fans are spinning, lights are on, no beep codes tho but i get nothing displayed on my monitor. its like its gone into sleep mode without ever ever waking up.

is this a BIOS setting issue or a faulty mobo?

Same problem with mine. Any suggestions?
a c 125 V Motherboard
September 16, 2012 1:09:24 PM

What eventually does wake up the system? Do you have to physically remove the power?
Related resources
September 16, 2012 1:59:36 PM

Yes, I have to remove the power physically. I am able to shut down the system with windows. Only restart and reset don't work.

system:
Mainboard Asrock N68C -GS FX
CPU AMD Phenom X2 550 (I haven't activated the 2 bad cores yet)
2 x 2 GB RAM DDR 2 800 (may be DDR3 or DDR2 1066 is more compatible ?)
Samsung HD321 KJ 320 GB
Radeon HD 4770

I already checked the memory and the hard disk. No problem was found.
February 6, 2013 5:32:43 PM

Hi,

I have the following system and have the same problem too

system:
Mainboard Asrock N68C -GS FX
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU AMD Phenom X2 550 AMD Phenom II X4 955, Deneb 45nm Technologie
2 x 2 GB RAM 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR3 @ 535MHz
625GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-00A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Onboard Grafik BenQ G2200W (1280x800@75Hz) 256 MBGeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (ASRock)

I have changed the 2x2 GB DDR3 with 2x2 GB DDR2 but didn´t help.

I have updated the BIOS to P1.40 but it didn´t help.

I contacted the AsRock Service the recomended me to ask the händler, who has no idea about this bug.

Best Regards
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 6:38:59 PM

Tutu_62 said:
Hi,

I have the following system and have the same problem too

system:
Mainboard Asrock N68C -GS FX
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU AMD Phenom X2 550 AMD Phenom II X4 955, Deneb 45nm Technologie
2 x 2 GB RAM 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR3 @ 535MHz
625GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-00A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Onboard Grafik BenQ G2200W (1280x800@75Hz) 256 MBGeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (ASRock)

I have changed the 2x2 GB DDR3 with 2x2 GB DDR2 but didn´t help.

I have updated the BIOS to P1.40 but it didn´t help.

I contacted the AsRock Service the recomended me to ask the händler, who has no idea about this bug.

Best Regards

It could be the ram,
Dual Channel DDR3/DDR2 memory technology
- 2 x DDR3 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB*
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 1066/800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB*

You can't put DDR3 ram into the DDR2 slots (and vice-versa), BTW. Also, you CAN"T use both DDR2 and DDR3 ram at the same time!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/?cat=Speci...

Your PSU should be more than 600 watts, better with 720 watts or higher.
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 6:46:32 PM

michaaa said:
Same problem with mine. Any suggestions?

You need to start your own thread however, it could be that DDR3 memory is only supported by installing AM3 CPU. and your CPU is not AM3. Also, check that there is thermal past on the CPU and that the heatsink fan is properly seated.

Dual Channel DDR3/DDR2 memory technology*
- 2 x DDR3 DIMM slots**
- Supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB***
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 1066****/800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB***

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/?cat=Speci...

Your PSU should be more han 650 watts.

Your bios has to have specific settings so make sure (at least) the date/ttime are set properly.

Your old hdd may have been set to AHCI mode from previous motherboard and this bios has not been set to the same mode.
What brand/model was your other motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 6:47:19 PM

abekl said:
What eventually does wake up the system? Do you have to physically remove the power?

Usually, you just press a key on the keyboard, most likely the SPACEBAR.
February 6, 2013 8:07:46 PM

TenPc said:
It could be the ram,
Dual Channel DDR3/DDR2 memory technology
- 2 x DDR3 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB*
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 1066/800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB*

You can't put DDR3 ram into the DDR2 slots (and vice-versa), BTW. Also, you CAN"T use both DDR2 and DDR3 ram at the same time!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/?cat=Speci...

Your PSU should be more than 600 watts, better with 720 watts or higher.

Hi,

the MoBo Mainboard Asrock N68C -GS FX is brand new (2 Days old)
It has 2x Banks for DDR3 and 2xBanks for DDR3 (I used first the DDR3), I used the DDR2 in a seperate trial as i dismounted the DDR3.
The PS is > than 600W, the CPU has enough paste and the CPU working temperature is 32 °C.

All these factor can not be the reason for this Bug.

Best Regards
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 9:41:22 PM

Tutu_62 said:
Hi,

the MoBo Mainboard Asrock N68C -GS FX is brand new (2 Days old)
It has 2x Banks for DDR3 and 2xBanks for DDR3 (I used first the DDR3), I used the DDR2 in a seperate trial as i dismounted the DDR3.
The PS is > than 600W, the CPU has enough paste and the CPU working temperature is 32 °C.

All these factor can not be the reason for this Bug.

Best Regards

In your first post, you stated "2 x 2 GB RAM 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR3 @ 535MHz" meaning 533mhz and the minimum for DDR3 is 800 mhz so that might impact on the system, DDR2 suppots as low as 533mhz ram.

A suggestion would be to check the PC Health in the bios and also the timings, Save and Exit when you exit BIOS.

a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 9:47:17 PM

forumfan_920 said:
hi guys, i bought a replacement mobo for my rig since my old one kinda gave out. i bought an asrock n68c-s ucc amd motherboard and now am experiencing restart issues. whenever i am prompted to or decide to restart the system from within windows, the system shuts down but doesn't reboot. the fans are spinning, lights are on, no beep codes tho but i get nothing displayed on my monitor. its like its gone into sleep mode without ever ever waking up. is this a BIOS setting issue or a faulty mobo?

What model / brand was your older motherboard? You have to do a new install if the chipsets are different like Intel and Amd.
It might be possible that the ram is the wrong type, what brand/speed is your ram?
Sometimes you just need to go into BIOS and then Save and Exit so the information can be updated.

If you had AHCI or RAID enabled previously, and not enabled in the new motherboard, that will also cause erros (vice-versa as well). Some older motherboards only have AHCI to optical driver and not necessarily to hdd (as with RAID).
February 7, 2013 7:07:52 AM

TenPc said:
In your first post, you stated "2 x 2 GB RAM 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR3 @ 535MHz" meaning 533mhz and the minimum for DDR3 is 800 mhz so that might impact on the system, DDR2 suppots as low as 533mhz ram.

A suggestion would be to check the PC Health in the bios and also the timings, Save and Exit when you exit BIOS.

Hi,

the DDR3 timing can not be changed in BIOS only I change the CPU freq. tact.
As I mentioned before I tested the DDR2 separately on the DDR2 banks seperately but it didn´t help.
I tried to check the AHCI mode in the Registry and set it to ON/OFF, it didn´t help too.

my current setting is:
Betriebssystem MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 33 °C Deneb 45nm Technologie
RAM 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR3 @ 401MHz (6-6-6-15)
Motherboard ASRock N68C-GS FX (CPUSocket) 31 °C
Grafik BenQ G2200W (1280x800@75Hz) 256 MBGeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (ASRock)
Festplatten 625GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-00A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Optische Laufwerke LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S ATA Device
AudioVIA High Definition Audio

I have the doubt that the ASROCK BIOS P1:40 is not perfect yet, unfortunately the ASROCK contact service promises to answer this issue in the future and recommends to contact the dealer who has no answer to this bug too.

Is there a mean to reach the ASROCK technician directly?

Regards
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 3:18:42 PM

I'm not really sure but you seem to have a German language operating system but you may have installed drivers that were in English?
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 3:58:18 PM

Umm, I think that drivers do have multi-language settings so that might not be the problem.

I'd suggest that you go back to the bios and set everything back to auto.

You might want to check the Google images for your bios instructions.
http://au.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2oKiavN6RNRwhMACqAN5gt.?p=N68C-S+UCC+bios&fr=slv8-divx&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search
February 7, 2013 4:25:40 PM

TenPc said:
Umm, I think that drivers do have multi-language settings so that might not be the problem.

I'd suggest that you go back to the bios and set everything back to auto.

You might want to check the Google images for your bios instructions.
http://au.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2oKiavN6RNRwhMACqAN5gt.?p=N68C-S+UCC+bios&fr=slv8-divx&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search

Hi,

in BIOS is everthing set to Auto.
I hope that a technician from ASROCK see this Fourm and confess that there is a bug in the ASROCK BIOS (latest update P1:40) which should be fixed in P1:41.

Regards
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 4:46:20 PM

If you are relying on onboard video, that is only 256 mb, not really good for gaming purposes, only for basic PC work.

Best solution

February 24, 2013 5:36:09 AM
Share

I h´ve got the answer now fro ASROCK itself.

Here is the answer:

Hello,

Thanks for checking.

CPUs with a maximum TDP of 125W (like the one you have) are not supported on this motherboard :(

The only version of Phenom II X4 955 that is supported on this motherboard is the 95W version.

The restart problems that you are facing are caused by the fact that this CPU is not supported.

I strongly recommend not to use this CPU on this motherboard, because it will reduce the lifetime of the motherboard and it might damage it.

Here is a list of CPUs that are supported on this model:

http://www.asrock.nl/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/?cat=CPU

Or you can search for your CPU version here and find a motherboard that can support it:

http://www.asrock.nl/support/cpu.asp?s=AM3

Best regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.