Sign in with
Your question

If I upgrade my CPU, GPU and MOBO, can I keep the same HD w/ Windows?

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2011 1:27:04 AM

I have a three year old system that was a custom build. I want to upgrade the CPU, the MOBO, the RAM and the GPU. I wondering though, if I update all this stuff, then just plug in my regular hard drive, will all this new stuff read the Windows install and just boot like usual?

This might be a stupid question but I've been wondering. :) 
June 18, 2011 2:10:42 AM

Yes it will
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2011 2:51:45 AM

If you just replace cpu mobo ram and gpu you should have no problem booting windows from current HDD

You will of course have to uninstall drivers and install correct drivers and whatnot
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:53:22 AM

GeorgeFour said:
I have a three year old system that was a custom build. I want to upgrade the CPU, the MOBO, the RAM and the GPU. I wondering though, if I update all this stuff, then just plug in my regular hard drive, will all this new stuff read the Windows install and just boot like usual?

This might be a stupid question but I've been wondering. :) 

im doing the exact same thing at the moment, and when i asked my computer guy directly "would i be able to keep all my sh*t?", he got really cagey about it, kept using that exasperating phrase "maybe, maybe not".
I figure it would just be a case of updating the drivers PRIOR to upgrading all the hardware, though suprisingly im yet to hear from anyone who has actually done this.
Thoughts anyone?

m
l
March 12, 2013 11:56:55 AM

of course!in any case the system does not recognise the hard drive you just go to the windows hard drives configuration!
m
l
!