Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded 3 year old HP desktop, windows does not load.

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2012 6:25:43 PM

Upgraded with:
Biostar N68S3+
AMD Athlon II X3
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600
XFX ATI Radeon HD 6750
Corsair PSU 600Watt

All parts were installed yesterday, we powered the computer on. BIOS Loaded perfectly, then we waited for Windows Vista 64bit to launch. All we get is a black screen and then the BIOS load again. We can't get windows to work. I spent a few hours yesterday. I tried installing Windows 7, we get to the splash screen and now options appear. Only the cursor and the background. We can move the cursor so it's not frozen. I even tried changing the DVD drive. Windows startup repair does not work either, we get a blue splash screen and the cursor and that's it.

Someone suggested that I change the BIOS SATA settings from AHCI to compatibility. So I searched in the BIOS for any SATA settings like that but couldn't find anything.

Please help!
June 2, 2012 7:58:34 PM

Regarding the SATA BIOS settings, the setting may also be called "IDE Mode" or "Legacy Mode" under the SATA controller... but that I don't think is the issue, most desktops will have the SATA controller running like native IDE, not AHCI, by default, IIRC.

Anyway, I will need your clarification; did you do a fresh install of Windows 7, or did you install it over your previous Vista x64 install? If you upgraded it, then that would explain your problems - if you upgrade the motherboard and critical components of a computer, the pre-existing O/S will likely have to be reinstalled.

If you *did* run a fresh install, my first guess would be to test your RAM perhaps. You can download memtest86+ here and write a floppy or CD image to test your RAM; I recommend you run at least a few passes to ensure it's working alright. If your RAM is indeed working, we can continue to troubleshoot, it could also be a motherboard or GPU problem, but I usually suspect RAM first for random or semi-random errors.
m
l
June 2, 2012 8:08:54 PM

Thanks for the response, I'll test the RAM out and get back to you. Something I didn't notice until now was the RAM I have is 1600 but the Motherboard is 1333. The BIOS does list that it has 4Gigs of RAM. So I assume it wasn't a problem.
Maybe I have some 1333 ram to test.
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2012 8:43:35 PM

You CAN get a new mobo to work with an old windows install: just remove all chipset drivers in hardware manager, shut down, swap mobo, and reboot. Just make sure you have the new drivers handy.

Now what were your PC specs previously? Are these all brand new parts?
m
l
June 2, 2012 8:52:49 PM

I don't know what the Motherboard was since it came with the HP computer. But I will do what you suggest. I'll have to reinstall all the old parts though. Which I can do
m
l
June 2, 2012 8:57:47 PM

tjs4ever said:
You CAN get a new mobo to work with an old windows install: just remove all chipset drivers in hardware manager, shut down, swap mobo, and reboot. Just make sure you have the new drivers handy.

And yes the parts I installed were all new.
And the motherboard only supports 1333 and the RAM I got is 1600. I don't low if thats causing anything.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 9:00:09 PM

You will need to buy a new OS. The old one and its End User License is tied to the old motherboard and is not transferable to the new.

The 1600 ram will run at 1333 so no problem there as the BIOS should take care of the default 1333 settings
m
l
June 3, 2012 1:30:26 AM

tjs4ever said:

So I have to uninstall the chipset drivers, and then the new Motherboard will work without older chipset drivers?
m
l
June 3, 2012 1:47:47 AM

Something similar happened to me, I upgraded my motherboard and for hours I would also get a black screen and BIOS again. I had to reinstall my old motherboard, I backed up my data and I formated my hard drive, I did NOT install windows just yet, I reinstalled my new motherboard and simply did a clean install of windows 7 X64 with the NEW motherboard installed and it worked perfectly. as gdea73 said, if you only upgraded windows 7 over vista but didnt clean install thats probably the cause of your problems.
m
l
June 3, 2012 5:18:08 PM

I moved from a pre-assembled Lenovo machine to a custom build using the steps I described above.
m
l
!