Sign in with
Your question

USB ports stops working during 3.0 update !

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2012 7:57:40 PM

Ok, I went on Gigabyte's website to update some drivers for my new Z77-UD3H motherboard, and I downloaded the USB 3.0 update that just came out couple days ago. However, while it's still installing, I think the update uninstalled the original driver and then a windows security message popped up and asked me if I want to continue with the installation, however the original driver was already uninstalled so my mouse and keyboard all stopped working ! This is really stupid... And I found the board has only usb 3.0 in the back and the keyboard only works when I'm in BIOS; put in win7 disc but it loads into some sort of windows UI so the USBs won't work there neither... I'm running out of solutions, so please help if anyone has a suggestion for me :( 
a c 168 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:08:48 PM

hahahaha

haha

omg that's kinda funny

Doubly compounded by Gigabyte having only 3.0 ports on the backpanel (who designs this stuff?)

If your case has a USB 2.0 front panel you can hook those up to the 2.0 headers on the motherboard (there are 3 dual port headers on the motherboard), otherwise you can use a PS2 mouse or use something like Input Director to control it over LAN
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:09:56 PM

Unplug the keyboard and mouse and plug it back in. Use the USB on the back. Try that.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:12:07 PM

Or u could use the Win disc to run a repair.
m
l
June 2, 2012 8:20:57 PM

Tried those in the front and back, none works, used a PS/2 adapter to connect my mouse, I can see it gets the power but it won't move. As I said the windows disc gets me into a windows UI and the USBs don't work in there.
For the input director method, I have another computer, but do I need to install anything on the computer that got messed up ? Cause I can't move anything except changing the settings in BIOS...
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:25:21 PM

ring said:
Tried those in the front and back, none works, used a PS/2 adapter to connect my mouse, I can see it gets the power but it won't move. As I said the windows disc gets me into a windows UI and the USBs don't work in there.
For the input director method, I have another computer, but do I need to install anything on the computer that got messed up ? Cause I can't move anything except changing the settings in BIOS...

um... yeah you do

That is honestly really weird. It shouldn't have had a problem with the PS2 mouse
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:27:30 PM

Well, use your other PC to erase the SSD and install again.
m
l
June 2, 2012 8:33:20 PM

Pinhedd said:
um... yeah you do

That is honestly really weird. It shouldn't have had a problem with the PS2 mouse

Alright, after couple reboots the PS mouse now works again... weird.
Thanks guys !
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:38:29 PM

ring said:
Alright, after couple reboots the PS mouse now works again... weird.
Thanks guys !

Sometimes you just have to kick it a few times

Disclaimer: Computers have few mechanical parts and thus kicking one is not likely to solve any issues
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:38:50 PM

Take advantage of that : )
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 8:40:00 PM

Do u think that windows have installed the driver by recognizing a new device?

That's what I thought it would do.
m
l
!