Hauppauge TV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner
Chilltech Black Ultra CPU Cooler
Sony DVD
Antec 620 constant PSU
Using Sony 60" LCD TV for main monitor.
Window 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Overclocking- Plan to
SLI- Maybe

I'm trying to build a HTPC/Gaming PC hybrid. Have been a console gamer since Atari, want to runs games like Crisis II and Bulletstorm putting my Xbox 360 to shame. Also using PC for DVR and hub/receiver.

Started this project in 2007. Ran out of funds at the time. Got the rest of the hardware recently. Now if I can just get the damn thing to post! Think my MB might be bad. Everything's new, but the case and MB have been assembled and collecting dust for like 4 years. This is my 1st build and now it looks like after buying everything based around maxing out that MB, I would have been better off (and maybe a little cheaper considering DDR2 prices) starting with a fresh up-to-date board.

Currently breadboarding that MB, CPU, and cooler. Same results. Lights on board come on, hit the power button, CPU gets hot, cooler lights and starts fan, PSU fan starts, 1 beep, and 4 seconds later, shuts off.

Tested the PSU using a multimeter and jumper wire. All readings well within tolerances.

The only other thing I know is that the little LED screen on the back of the MB says CPU Initiate. I also know that the Bios on the board is out-of-date for the quad core CPU on it. It is supported by this board according to Asus, but I think AMD was just starting to produce there 1st Quad cores when i got the MB. And shouldn't it beep more than once with no RAM installed? Only beeps on 1st start-up attempt. Have to reset PSU to hear again.

Any opinions on that are welcome. Thanks.
June 18, 2011 2:04:49 PM

^lol that post seemed like an awful lotta work to not answer any question. Maybe he's considering building you a new computer?
Do you have manual for mb, there is usually a section on beep errors. maybe try to boot w/ 1 stick of ram, and you say cpu gets hot, like normal or extremely hot? and u do have a heatsink on right? with no heatsink or improperly connected one it would only take seconds for cpu to overheat and turn itself off
m
l
June 19, 2011 9:53:56 PM

lol yeah really. strangely, no beep section in manual. did like a 2-3 second test with finger on processor to see if it was powering. i know, i know, any longer than 5 seconds and you'll fry it. felt heat, cut the power. leaning towards MB being bad but can't find anyway to test it for sure. tried removing all RAM then using 1 stick at a time. same result. board lights, hit power button, fans start, 1 beep. and 4 seconds later, cuts off. same result assembled or breadboarded. my understanding of the beep code is it should beep multiple times without any RAM installed. PSU was tested with meter and jumper wire. all readings within spec. look up that Chilltec cooler. its overkill for me but should cool that CPU no prob. thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 2:59:40 PM

are the ram sticks 4GB modules? even new MB cannot handle the bigger sticks without a BIOS update,, my MB is not even a year old and stock BIOS won't boot or anything with a 4GB stick,, had to be 2 or less, flash bios, put in bigger sticks.

if your MB still can't boot off the 2GB,, I would think the MB is bad,,, may be cheaper to move on to new AM3 setup,, although hard to really want to do it when bulldozer around the corner sort of speak,, it is possible to get just the new AM2+ MB, but then your stuck on DDR2
m
l
June 20, 2011 3:03:04 PM

PS if you want a new cooler,, double check your case dims, but mine is pretty small and it still fit,, SCYTHE KATANA about 30$ and REALLY QUIET,, i have a AMD 445 X3 overclocked 10% and usually around 28-30 degrees is highest it really gets
m
l
June 28, 2011 1:13:24 AM

Yeah this first one's been a real learning experience. Wish I'd started fresh but wanted to use what I had. So now, using the components I have, am trying to find a comparable MB to what I had. The Crosshair 2 looks good for accommodating AM2+ and DDR2 but are hard to find or just as much as the current production model.

BTW it's 4 2gb sticks of RAM. If I was to upgrade in the future, Id start over. Right now, just want one that works. It sucks that the one I got is "new", albeit has been sitting in a case for like, 3 1/2 years, never powered and the warranty expired at 3 yrs. Any MB suggestions or experience with your own?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2011 1:55:32 AM

Is the MoBo compatible with the Processor?
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:15:00 AM

According to Asus.com it is.
m
l
!