2 Million DS pre-orders in Japan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

The Nintendo DS has well over 2 million DS preorders in Japan!

Japanese newspaper Nikkei is reporting that over 2 million Nintendo DS
preorders have been taken in from various retailers in Japan.

This could mean Japanese retailers could also stop taking preorders as well
due to the fact Nintendo is only shipping 1 million DS units to the country
of the rising sun by the end of the year.

Keep it here for the latest developments.
source: Spong
2 answers Last reply
More about million orders japan
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The Nintendo DS has well over 2 million DS preorders in Japan!
    >
    > Japanese newspaper Nikkei is reporting that over 2 million Nintendo DS
    > preorders have been taken in from various retailers in Japan.
    >
    > This could mean Japanese retailers could also stop taking preorders as
    > well
    > due to the fact Nintendo is only shipping 1 million DS units to the
    > country
    > of the rising sun by the end of the year.
    >
    > Keep it here for the latest developments.
    > source: Spong

    Spong? While I'm not one to buck good news, couldn't you have found a site
    with...oh, I don't know, credibility?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    New Nintendo Game Console Demand Doubles, Spokesman Says
    Nov. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of hand held
    game consoles, has received 2 million advance orders in Japan for its
    Nintendo DS portable video game system, company spokesman Ken Toyoda said.

    The figure is double Kyoto-based Nintendo's target of 1 million domestic
    orders for the year, Toyoda said today.

    ``We will outsource production to a third site in China to meet the rising
    demand,'' Toyoda said.

    Nikkei English News reported earlier today that Nintendo Co. had received 2
    million advance domestic orders for its DS console, citing unidentified
    people.

    The DS goes on sale in the U.S. on Nov. 22 for $149.99 and in Japan on Dec.
    2 for about 15,000 yen.

    And in other Nintendo related news...

    Nintendo Shares Rise After Company Says DS Demand Beats Target
    Nov. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of
    hand-held game consoles, surged as much as 4.5 percent after the game maker
    said advance demand for its newest player is outstripping the company's
    expectations.

    Nintendo, based in Kyoto, Japan, has received 2 million orders at home for
    its DS game machine, double the company's target of 1 million domestic
    orders, spokesman Ken Toyoda said today in response to a Nikkei English News
    report.

    Sales of hand-held hardware and software accounted for 62 percent of
    Nintendo's revenue in the business year ended March 31. The company is
    counting on the DS's two screens and voice recognition to counter a
    challenge from Sony Corp., which will release its own hand-held player on
    Dec. 12 in Japan with the ability to play music and movies in addition to
    video games.

    Nintendo's shares were up 490 yen, or 4.1 percent, at 12,590 as of 11.17
    a.m. in Osaka, which would be their biggest one-day gain since Sept. 30 when
    they rose 4.3 percent. The shares rose as much as 540 yen to 12,630 earlier
    in the day.

    The DS goes on sale in the U.S. on Nov. 22 for $149.99 and in Japan Dec. 2
    for about 15,000 yen ($140). Sony's PSP, also known as the PlayStation
    Portable, will reach stores in the U.S. before March 31, Sony has said.

    Sony plans to ship 500,000 PSPs in Japan by the end of the year and 3
    million worldwide by March 31, the company said Oct. 27 when they announced
    the PSP's price and the debut date.

    Marketing Push

    To meet demand for the DS, Nintendo will extend production to a third site
    in China, Toyoda said.

    The maker of the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance players holds 95 percent of
    the market worldwide for hand-held video-game consoles. Nintendo also makes
    the GameCube home console, which competes with Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox and
    Sony's PlayStation 2.

    Nintendo's marketing efforts for the DS include television commercials
    featuring best-selling female pop singer Utada Hikaru, as well as a
    five-city tour this month to show off the device and some of its functions
    such as the touch-sensitive screen.

    In the U.S., Nintendo's biggest market, the company has started television
    teasers aimed at teenagers and gamers in their twenties with the caption
    ``Touching is Good.''

    ``Gamers in that demographic are generally the most tech savvy and the most
    willing to try out new products,'' said Beth Llewelyn, a spokeswoman at
    Redmond, Washington-based Nintendo of America Inc.

    The marketing blitz is designed by Nintendo to hold on to customers ahead of
    the debut of Sony's PSP PlayStation Portable, which will sell for 19,800 yen
    in Japan.

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games