Sign in with
Your question

Port Forwrding Issues

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 8, 2010 11:19:04 PM

Hi,

My name is lynn. I found your page whewn i was trying to find out why my download speed was so low when using utorrent. I used the port checking tool at:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-torr... and get the following error:

Error: i could not see your service on 71.22.243.185 on port (49125)
reason: connection timed out

It takes about 10 seconds to run, so i don’t understand the error.

I don’t know what info you need in order to help me, so i’ll tell you what i can. Keep in mind i am very inexperienced at most of this and until now, to me, port forwarding sounded a lot like going on a cruise in lots of different areas  .

I am running windows 7 on a toshiba laptop.
Using a netgear wgr 614v9 router. I use utorrent and run btguard as my proxy server. I have clear Wireless as my service provider and have almost the top speed they offer. I called them after realizing that my download speeds were slowing down dramatically. They told me they were indeed “managing” my account, which i suspect is their word for what i inquired about in the first place… throttling. Is there any way to fix this error and if so, how? If you can just point me to a guide, that would be most appreciated. If you can walk me through it,, awesome i am visually impaired and use a screen reader to read the screen to me, so pics don’t do me a lot of good but texst works.

Thanks for any help.
Lynn w.

More about : port forwrding issues

December 16, 2010 3:45:06 AM

Throttling is not something you can overcome. Your ISP is in command here for that problem.

If you have used your monthly limit they will drastically slow you down.

Be happy you don't have A T & T or Verizon, they just cut your service until the next billing cycle unless you have agreed to pay a fantastic fee per megabyte in excess of your monthly allotment.
m
l
December 16, 2010 1:51:58 PM

Switch ISPs. There's nothing you can do except deny them your business in this case, unless you wanted to start a class action suit against them (which you may very well lose given the current net neutrality climate).

If you have it in your area, get Time Warner. They've never throttled my connection and I've downloaded items at 2.0 MBps (not megabits, megaBYTES) for hours on end with no problem. They have network sharing issues in some areas and your connection may slow as a result of that, but at least they're not monitoring your traffic and it's an honest network problem.
m
l
December 16, 2010 7:46:54 PM

tigsounds said:
Throttling is not something you can overcome. Your ISP is in command here for that problem.

If you have used your monthly limit they will drastically slow you down.

Be happy you don't have A T & T or Verizon, they just cut your service until the next billing cycle unless you have agreed to pay a fantastic fee per megabyte in excess of your monthly allotment.

Wow, that's good to know. According to Clear, after a couple of hours, they reset me. Not so sure it's true but hey.... So, guess I don't need to worry about port forwarding, huh? Thanks for your answer.
m
l
!