Can't boot Windows 7!

agpbiohazard

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
So here's the deal.

I bought myself a number of new parts and I built a new system, complete with windows 7. I've tried everything I can think of and I've looked all over google, I can't seem to solve this at all. So I came to the pros :p I've never seen this forum disappoint during my google searches so I know lots of you really know your stuff.

The problem:
I installed all the parts (listed below) and installed windows 7 onto the 500gb hard drive after reformatting it (it had a windows vista 32-bit on it before). Everything was fine, more or less, and then I installed Skyrim. Right away I started having issues. Random CTDs, graphic tearing, blue screens ( memory_management). After some googling I found out that a lot of people with similar issues had their problems fixed by bypassing the 2gb of RAM that Skyrim was limited to. I did this, and had more issues all around on the PC (blue screens)

So, I removed Skyrim, and checked Event Viewer, finding out that I was having an issue every few minutes, mostly kernel related (not sure what those are) and pertaining to windows activation and windows update (I had just installed the system and had not activated). So I figured I would try simply reformatting once again, and install from scratch, usually fixes most problems. However, after restarting and booting from the Windows 7 CD, the screen would hang at "Loading operating system", and after a while dots would appear (. . . . . . .) and then it would simply boot from the hard drive. So I put the hard drive into a different computer, inserted the windows 7 CD, reformatted windows 7 once again on that one and installed it, no problem. So Windows 7 works, and the hard drive works.

I then put the hard drive back into the new setup, and it would crash, I can't remember what it said on the screen. I then tried to re-install windows 7 on that new computer and the same issue came up (hanging at "Loading operating system" and never actually booting from CD). Next thing I did was started removing components one by one (after re-seating all connections of course), and leaving nothing but the power, the monitor and the keyboard plugged into the peripherals. I tried without the video card, without one stick of RAM, without the OTHER stick of RAM, tried switching the RAM to a different slot, trying a different SATA cable for my hard drive, but the problem still persists.

The BIOS loads fine.

The Windows 7 will run on another computer, but as soon as I put it in the new one, while starting windows I get a blue screen (it lasts half a second) and the computer reboots. It seems like the computer just won't load Windows, be it on the hard drive or from the CD.

Anyway, here's the setup:

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Power Supply
Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti
WD 1.0 TB 64mb cache, SATA Hard drive (Slave with all my files)
Samsung 500gb SATA hard drive (Primary (the one I've been trying to use with Windows 7)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 1600mhz (2x4gb)
Intel Core i7 2600k Processor
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard

I'm desperate. I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I'm no expert by any means, but is it fair to think that the Video Card, the processor, the RAM and the Hard drive is not to blame? Seeing as the issue persisted whether they were in use or not. And could a faulty motherboard cause this, yet still load bios fine?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I leave it in your capable hands.

agpbiohazard

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Update:

I swapped out the motherboard for another unopened brand new one of the exact same kind, and the system seems stable so far. We'll see if it repeats the same issues that started on the last MOBO. I guess I'll have to RMA this one...

Thanks for your time, sorry to bother :)