Status
Not open for further replies.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Just got all my parts in from Newegg the other day. Finally opened everything up, took everything out of the packages, set up my workspace. Took the motherboard out and was about to start installing my Xeons. I unlocked the retaining brackets and removed the protective covers from the actual CPU sockets. I noticed from the light that one of the two sockets had a slightly bent pin.

Best pictures I could take close up:

xeon001.jpg

xeon002.jpg

xeon003.jpg

Other socket which doesn't appear to have any bent pins:

xeon004.jpg

Xeon underside:

xeon005.jpg

I wasn't sure if the pins get slightly bent at all after placing the CPU on top and locking it in. The gold contact on the Xeon 'looks' big enough to where it should still hit, but that's only a guess. Am I being paranoid or should I return this motherboard?

edit: Sorry I didn't realize these pictures wouldn't get re-scaled.

good luck getting the right csr at new egg there going to fight you for bent pins..it on there web page under mb. your going to have to send them a photo and may have to file out a report of damaged goods with ups or your credit card if new egg wont step up to the plate.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I once had to return an AMD processor several years ago that had a bent pin I could see still in the plastic. The newegg CSR gave me an RMA no questions asked, even did cross shipping and gave me a UPS account to pay for the shipping. I don't expect that kind of service again, but I've never actually had a CSR fight me about a bent pin yet.

InvalidError

Titan

I have a hard time imagining how bent pins on a motherboard could have anything to do with UPS shipping.

Mere vibrations or boxes getting kicked around would not cause such highly localized damage (1-2 pins in an LGA socket protected by a stiff protective lid clamped under the CPU retention mechanism) in such a heavily protected location without leaving obvious traces on the packaging.

Either the motherboard was shipped by the manufacturer with bent pins or NewEgg is re-selling motherboards that have been returned for bent pins or other reasons.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
In that video his socket cover snapped on outside of the retention bracket. My board is a server board and the covers are actually placed inside/underneath the retention bracket (I don't know how many manufacturers do this now).

My only theory for how the pins get bent is when pushing down on the retention rod to release it from the 'hook', that the downward pressure from the rod causes slight pressure on the bracket, and indentation on the bracket pushes down on the plastic cover causing it to slightly bow and push down on a pin. There's probably only a mm or two separating the cover from the pins so I don't think its totally out of the question. I always use the minimal amount of pressure to release the retention rod, bracket, and protective cover, but it seems like today I was just unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.