Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My ram fail to post @ 2400mhz

Last response: in Memory
Share
June 2, 2012 10:12:21 PM

Hello all. This is my 1st build in 3 and half years and I'm having a lot of problem with ram. I brought 8 gigs xtreme team 2133 mhz . The kit fails memtest 86 @ 2133mhz so I returned to Newegg and order G.skill triden 2400mhz. Out of the box, The kit runs @ rated speed. Run memtes and pass without a problem. After 2 weeks the window start crashing on me. I turn off the computer and restart, window wouldn't load and all I see is a black screen. Reset the bios and able to boot into the bios at stock speed, ram also default @ 1333mhz then it will load. Tried 1600, 1800, and 1866mhz all load without a hiccup. Went back to bios pump it up to 2000, 2133, and 2400mhz all black screen. @ 2400mhz, I even change the Voltage from 1.65V to 1.70V and 1.75V none of the setting works at all. Lower the ram speed to 1866 mhz, the window load without any problem. Here's the funny part. The 1st day I got this ram out of the box. It runs @ rated speed and even pass memtest @ 2400mhz. Now, I cant seem to load @ 2400mhz anymore. The 1866mhz will load even the CPU overclocking @ 4.5ghz. Prime 95 full load @ 52C depend on room temperature. I got 3770K with custom water loop. running @ 1.25V @ 4.5ghz for 6 hours temp never get pass 53C. Now I can overclock but ram has to adjust @ 1866mhz. Beyond that, fail to boot. Will return this and get a new replacement kit.

I have 2 questions, do you guys think it's my ram? Do I need a replacement or just order a new kit with different manufacture? Oh btw, tech support from G.skill blaming the MB and told me, "Asus sabertooth z77 some of them wouldn't run @ 2400mhz". It's funny that my ram runs 2400mhz then decide stop working after 2 weeks. They are blaming on the MB. If I buy 2400mhz, I expect to run @ rated speed. He told me, 1866mghz would be reasonable for me to run. If I want to run @ 1866 I would have buy 1866 instead of 2400 kits. Anyhow, I did update my bios the 1st day I build the computer. The computer runs like a champ. The only problem I have is ram, 1st kit fails and this kit stop working after 2 weeks. Anyway, Hope you guys can help me on this. Thank you and have a nice day.

More about : ram fail post 2400mhz

a c 84 } Memory
June 2, 2012 10:43:10 PM

if the bios it at rev 1015. run cpu-z and look at the spd info of the ram. then check that the mb is reading the xmp profile right.
with some ram you may have to losen the timing in the bios for it to run at it max speed. i would also satrt with one simm in the a0 or a1 slot. it may not be the mb but one of the dimms could have an issue.
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 3:29:11 PM

Thx for replying, Yes I do have the latest update. I run xmp profile, even manually input the ram latency, timing and voltage. Wouldn't work. You might be right, thx for reminding me, let me try one simm see what happen. 1st day it comes out of the box, I know for sure it runs @ rated speed b/c cpu-z under spd timming @10-12-12-31 1.65V, and memory freq: 1200mhz dual channel. Everything runs fine until my computer crashes at 4.9 ghz then wouldn't never load again @ rated speed. Now overclocking @ 4.9ghz but memory @ 1866 max. Very disappointed with G.skill. I used to have one kit in my core i7 920 and still running like a champ after 3 1/2 years.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 3, 2012 3:49:56 PM

the memory controller is on the CPU. NO CPUs have memory controllers rated for 2400MHz and there is no guarantee they will operate at that speed. And you are overclocking the CPU on top of that. You're the one causing the instability not gskill. I don't know why you're bothering or wasting the money. there's almost zero performance difference between 1600 or 1866 and 2400
m
0
l
a b } Memory
June 3, 2012 3:53:50 PM

unksol said:
the memory controller is on the CPU. NO CPUs have memory controllers rated for 2400MHz and there is no guarantee they will operate at that speed. And you are overclocking the CPU on top of that. You're the one causing the instability not gskill. I don't know why you're bothering or wasting the money. there's almost zero performance difference between 1600 or 1866 and 2400


I agree completely, I don't know what cpu your using but it surely isn't rated for 2400mhz, or 2133 for that matter.

1600mhz ram is the sweet spot and always works at it's rated speed.


m
0
l
June 3, 2012 4:31:24 PM

geekapproved said:
I agree completely, I don't know what cpu your using but it surely isn't rated for 2400mhz, or 2133 for that matter.

1600mhz ram is the sweet spot and always works at it's rated speed.


not to mention that running 1.65v ram on an Ivy Bridge Cpu technically voids the warranty and so does running that speed of ram.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
June 3, 2012 5:07:24 PM

cbrunnem said:
not to mention that running 1.65v ram on an Ivy Bridge Cpu technically voids the warranty and so does running that speed of ram.


Nikorr and I have had a discussion on that before. It definitely DOES void the warranty for SB, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence yet that it does for Ivy. Nevertheless, it's good to stay on the safe side and stay with 1.5V RAM, until there's official word.
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 3, 2012 5:44:47 PM

Man I am so tied of the warranty bantering...I assume with the setup the OP doesn't care.

Assuming G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400 F3-2400C10D-8GTX 10-12-12-31 @ 1.65v on an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with i7-3770K.

First off IF your putting together (2) Kit(s), you said Kits not Kit -- of F3-2400C10D-8GTX then duh no wonder.

Q - What & How many Kit(s)? Your post is very nonspecific to the exact kit or kits used. DDR3-2400 Trident's - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

One kit: Use BIOS version 1015 via ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility <or> rename BIOS to Z77ST.CAP and use USB BIOS Flashback. Next, in the BIOS: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP AND increase the VCCSA -> 1.25v (don't exceed 1.35v - ever) and if necessary the DRAM Voltage to 1.68v~1.70v.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 3:35:31 AM

cbrunnem said:
not to mention that running 1.65v ram on an Ivy Bridge Cpu technically voids the warranty and so does running that speed of ram.


1.65V are rated from g.skill memory. Now runing @ 1.70 Volt will void my warranty. But they said 1.65 then i'll run with that. Beyond that is just for testing. Never try to run beyond what memory indicated.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 3:45:43 AM

jaquith said:
Man I am so tied of the warranty bantering...I assume with the setup the OP doesn't care.

Assuming G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400 F3-2400C10D-8GTX 10-12-12-31 @ 1.65v on an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with i7-3770K.

First off IF your putting together (2) Kit(s), you said Kits not Kit -- of F3-2400C10D-8GTX then duh no wonder.

Q - What & How many Kit(s)? Your post is very nonspecific to the exact kit or kits used. DDR3-2400 Trident's - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

One kit: Use BIOS version 1015 via ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility <or> rename BIOS to Z77ST.CAP and use USB BIOS Flashback. Next, in the BIOS: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP AND increase the VCCSA -> 1.25v (don't exceed 1.35v - ever) and if necessary the DRAM Voltage to 1.68v~1.70v.


thx for advice. I said one kit. Sorry typo, i meant kit not kits. One kit 2 stick of ram @ 4gigs each.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 3:55:04 AM

geekapproved said:
I agree completely, I don't know what cpu your using but it surely isn't rated for 2400mhz, or 2133 for that matter.

1600mhz ram is the sweet spot and always works at it's rated speed.


Let me clarify something, I said, ram rated @ that speed not the CPU okay. Doesn't matter what the memory manufacture rated, running on a IB or anything other CPU is a different story. Will not guarantee at memory rated speed. I was pushing how much CPU can run. Just to see how far and how hot. All i'm saying, it does runs @ that speed for a while, with minimal OCing. Now it seem to be unstable if I set @ 2400.
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 5, 2012 6:11:06 AM

Assuming the F3-2400C10D-8GTX kit DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-2T @ 1.65v

Then as stated:
Quote:
One kit: Use BIOS version 1015 via ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility <or> rename BIOS to Z77ST.CAP and use USB BIOS Flashback. Next, in the BIOS: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP AND increase the VCCSA -> 1.25v (don't exceed 1.35v - ever) and if necessary the DRAM Voltage to 1.68v~1.70v.


Try Clearing the CMOS, since most folks 'think' they do it right you might want to review -- unplug the PSU for ~5 minutes then either holding Clr CMOS if equipped or the Jumper for 5+ seconds.

Failure manually try the following CAS Timings DDR3-2400:
11-13-13-35-2T @ 1.70v
11-11-11-35-2T @ 1.70v

or try at DDR3-2133 9-11-11-31-2T

Nice thread trying both Rated and OC - http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/g-s...
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:07:39 PM

jman2012 said:
1.65V are rated from g.skill memory. Now runing @ 1.70 Volt will void my warranty. But they said 1.65 then i'll run with that. Beyond that is just for testing. Never try to run beyond what memory indicated.


spec ram voltage is 1.5v on ivy bridge and sandy bridge. running memory that is not 1.5v will void your warranty.
m
0
l
!