Need Advice on What to Upgrade

Hi, so I have almost 300 hundred in money that I want to spend on my computer. I was thinking about either getting a new keyboard, monitor, or a SSD. I don't know which one to pick tbh because they all will benefit me in one way or the other (SSD more so,but I only have SATA II). I primarily use my computer to play games like Arma 2, BFBC2, and down the road BF3 and Skyrim.

These are my specs currently:
i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz
Noctua DH-14
EVGA GTX 570 SC
Mobo: Asus P6T
keyboard: generic logitech
Mouse: Logitech G9
Monitor: Hanns-G TFT display 1440x900
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Onboard Sound
PSU: KINGWIN 1000W

What do you guys think?
7 answers Last reply
More about need advice upgrade
  1. SSD with sata II is fine, just don't waste money on an SSD that uses sata III, I say you get a Mushkin Callisto 64GB SSD, but you will need to reinstall your OS, and programs. Otherwise go through the complicated process of cloning your hard drive.
  2. Get a new monitor.
  3. pcie sata 3 card with sata 3 ssd
  4. Pyree said:
    pcie sata 3 card with sata 3 ssd

That's not an intelligent choice, the even if he gets a Vertex 3 or SSD that seriously makes use of SATA 6.0Gb/s, the difference would only be noticeable in synthetic benchmarks.
  5. sata 3 and sata 2 ssd are not that much difference in price. SPECOPx has $300 to spend, the sata 3 ssd and the card is within budget, then why not get the best?
  6. With that in mind get the following :

1. Monitor : $200- Asus VW246H 24" LED Backlit 2ms response time (1920X1080)
    2. HDD: $60 -Seagate Barracuda 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint 1TB from Amazon
    3. RAM probably : if you have 8GB then no need, but if you have 4GB ram you might want to think about upgrading. Maybe some 4GB stick which matches your present RAM specs like voltage, CAS timings, speed.
  7. Pyree said:
    sata 3 and sata 2 ssd are not that much difference in price. SPECOPx has $300 to spend, the sata 3 ssd and the card is within budget, then why not get the best?

The SATA III card is a waste of money, thus a Vertex 3 is. The money can be better invested.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product