Sign in with
Your question

1600 mhz ram compatible with 1333mhz ram socket

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2012 11:15:12 PM

Hello,so my brother recently bought new computer peices and when all put together the dram_led came on red. we later found out that the motherboard supports up to 1333 Mhz ram but the ram we have in there is 1600 Mhz can this be causing the issue? also the screen doesnt boot it stays black.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 86 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 11:50:23 PM

1600MHz RAM will work fine at 1333MHz and the BIOS should automatically select the lowest common denominator if RAM settings are on AUTO. If you overrode any RAM settings, you may need to reset the CMOS to make the BIOS reload safe default values from the SPD EEPROM.

If it still does not work after this, try a single DIMM at a time in different slots just in case either of them might be bad and preventing boot. If you still cannot get through POST with either DIMM in any slot, there either is an incompatibility between the DIMM and board layout or between the SPD parameters and BIOS.

If you had known-good RAM for this system, you might want to boot using the previous RAM, update the BIOS, reset memory settings to default and then try upgrading the RAM again.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
June 2, 2012 11:59:57 PM

CPU:
RAM: with link please.
PSU:
Motherboard:
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 12:30:18 AM

cpu: Core™ i5-3570K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache
ram:Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
link:http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33234
motherboard: P8H67-M PRO/CSM Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1333, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W Power Supply

all peices were bought brand new and were never used. also the computer has yet to boot properly so my brother hasn't touched any bios settings we have tried benching it we have tried to use just one ram in every slot, we double checked the wires and everything. its very fustrating
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 12:44:14 AM

The I5-3570K Is DDR3 1600 By Default but will run slower,So no problem there and the board should support the faster RAM also.I believe your problem is for that board to accept an Ivey Bridge processor Your gonna have to have the latest Bios setting for it,So if you have not already, Update the bios.
m
l
June 3, 2012 12:45:48 AM

ok thank you and how would i go about updating the bios if the computer wont start? sorry ive just never updated bios before, also would this cause the DRAM_LED to turn on red?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 86 V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 12:49:34 AM

kolapse said:
cpu: Core™ i5-3570K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache
motherboard: P8H67-M PRO/CSM Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1333, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX

You should be using a series *7x chipset (z77/z75 if you want to be able to overclockm h77 or b77 otherwise) motherboard with Ivy Bridge CPUs, this guarantees that the stock BIOS supports IB CPUs.

Some older boards may support IB out-of-the-box but many will require BIOS update first, which is problematic if you do not have a spare Sandy Bridge CPU to do the upgrade beforehand.
m
l
June 3, 2012 1:27:49 AM

so basicaly theres nothing really i can do then i dont have a sandy bridge processor that would fit.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 86 V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 1:32:14 AM

kolapse said:
so basicaly theres nothing really i can do then i dont have a sandy bridge processor that would fit.

If your motherboard's BIOS does not support IB out-of-the-box, pretty much unless you can borrow a SB CPU just long enough to update the BIOS.

Might want to inquire with the vendor for a trade-up.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 1:38:51 AM

Some boards will let you flash the bios with a usb flash drive,You would have to go to the Motherboard support site on another computer and follow the directions.I'm not sure if your board supports that or not.You would have a button to press on the IO or the board after USB flash drive is inserted into the usb port and you could do that with your Ivy Bridge still installed.
m
l
June 3, 2012 1:49:05 AM

what would this button be called? if you know
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 2:02:34 AM

On the ASUS Boards its marked BIOS,I'm not familiar with the Gigabyte boards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 2:07:54 AM

My bad I see that is an ASUS board, It should be clearly marked.I'm going to look up that board and get back to you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 2:11:15 AM

Did you try pressing the Mem O.K. Button?
m
l
June 3, 2012 2:18:47 AM

yup it causes the red DRAM_LED light to flash and the computer to restart but doesnt really solve much. the screen still stays black
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 2:25:45 AM

Then it must be the bios,You'll have to get a Sandy Bridge from somewhere long enough to flash the bios.That board does not have the bios flash function that I mentioned earlier.Sorry guys I couldn't be more help.You can contact ASUS I have a Z77 board in my wife's computer that we just built with the same core I5 you have and we had a problem.They have great customer support.
m
l
June 3, 2012 2:29:46 AM

i know this is a odd question but how much do computer shop usually charge for a bios update with the kind of issue im having?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 2:35:18 AM

I'm not sure on that I always do my own work.One other thing though If the Computers shows its still powered on after restart try connecting monitor with a VGA cable,Sometime HDMI and DVI will not work until driver disk is installed.
m
l
June 3, 2012 2:41:41 AM

the issue with that is that the motherboard only has a built in DVI And hdmi port and the only video card my brother has has only i think a DVI plugin. at the moment he plans on using the built in graphics.
m
l
June 3, 2012 7:37:15 AM

sorry i posted the wrong cpu its the Core™ i5-2500K Processor, 3.30GHz w/ 6MB Cache
m
l
!