Hyper 212 and Corsair Vengence Clearance

Hi guys, my question is concerning a hyper 212 and a pair of corsair vengences. My parts come in on monday and im wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Gigabyte x79-UD3 mobo and can answer whether or not itll block the first ram slot or not. Also, if I just put it in dual channel mode in the two other slots am I going to lose performance because of it? I read the Gigabyte manual and it say its optimal to put it in a1 and b1 for just dual channel slots, if i put it in a2, b2 would I lose performance?
3 answers Last reply
More about hyper corsair vengence clearance
  1. If you use Vengence LP, there should be no clearance issue on any board.

Since 1.5V DIMMs generate so little heat that it can be spread through the PCB's power/ground planes which makes even the heat-spreader unnecessary except maybe for mechanical protection, there is no reason to risk clearance issues by opting for flashy designs unless you chose fancied-up DIMMs for cosmetic reasons.
  2. I wish i had known that before, but i'd rather not pay a restocking fee and return shipping for the ram. Any clue on the a1, b1 and a2, b2 issue?
  3. LGA2011 CPUs are quad-channel so ideally, you would want quad DIMMs which means filling all slots for best performance otherwise you forfeit one of the main reasons people buy SB-E CPUs/motherboards.

One possible work-around for DIMM clearance would be to simply snap the fan higher up on the heatsink but you might lose some cooling efficiency that way.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Dual Channel Corsair