Overclocking issues 5850

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Im having issues with overclocking my xfx reference 5850 BE i have a matching pair one i bought new and one used . When i separate the cards and overclock them individually i have great success with the card i bought new on the other hand the used card i cant change the gpu or the ram when i up the gpu i get tarring and flashing even when idle in windows and i cant touch the ram at all ive suffered a few bsod`s in this process
now at stock clocks the cards run fine alone and in crossfire getting consistent benchmarks and good numbers with no bsod`s
i thought maybe i had a heat issue with the ram on the used card so ive now liquid cooled both cards and i have good temps so heat is not an issue. Drivers also are not the issue as ive tested all drivers from 10.7 up to 11.4 using clean install methods
does any one have any ideas what the issue could be so I have a good reason to rma a obviously damaged but not broken card

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That is what I was wondering, if it did the same at default speeds. It may simply be that your config is at its limit regarding OCing the GPUs reliably. I am at a loss with this one.

When you OCed them individually, how hard could you push them?

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
the new card overclocks to 1000 1300 and the used card clocks 770 1125 and the default clocks are 765 1125
both cards run unigine heaven with out an issue at thoes clocks but not above

Im also at a loss and it sucks because overclocking one card in xfire is useless from what i understand

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Right, OCing one GPU is meaningless as the 2 are synched at the least common denominator. Still they are faster than a single OCed GPU having 2 stocks GPUs in CF.

It may be that the used card was over cooked in its previous life and it just can go up there anymore. OCing anything adds risk.