General Question about homebuilt MB mistake

johnwm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
i recently came to the decision to invest in a new system for my job (professional poker player online) for which i needed a fast system for running my database (used for displaying your opponents stats during play). i asked an acquaintance who builds computers professionally if he would be interested in building the system for me. he said sure and it would cost £100 for his trouble. i said sure that sounded like a good deal - i sent him an email containing the spec i found from a poker site that was required for the new build, i also posted my spec on a few forums and gave him links to the threads. the system was to run dual SSD drives and required them to be fast, i never specified i needed SATA 6GB/s ports on my motherboard (i didn't know what the hell that was then tbh)

anyway he emailed me back with his build spec and i went ahead and ordered the hardware, he built it, and i had a new PC. when i started using the system i noticed although it was far faster than my previous system it still wasn't fast enough for my work, anyway i spent literally 50+ hours testing my database and generally trying everything i could to speed it up. also i couldn't work properly either so obv it cost me alot in terms of earning aswell. anyway i decided to add another SSD to my build and have 2 SSDs to run RAID-0 array in the hope that would be an end of the problem. This cost another £200.

During my time configuring the RAID array i learnt alot about my machine, and b/c the RAID array was related to the BIOS i researched the MB i had in my system, i also consulted the builder to ask some questions, he kept saying that my SSDs ran off 6GB/s ports. Anyway, i eventually found out that the MB he had ordered me wasn't the same board he thought it was, it was a very similar one £10 cheaper which only supports SATA 3GB/s ports.

My question is : should a computer builder be expected to know that SSDs need 6GB/s ports ??? in the forum threads i gave him all the other posters prescribed MBs with 6GB/s ports. And once he has fitted all the hardware shouldn't he benchmark it to check its up to speed? Also shouldn't he notice the SATA ports in the manual / on the board when fitting it.

i know the guy has made an error and ordered me the wrong board by accident, he says he will fit me a replacement one for no cost, and for me try and call ebuyer to get them to exchange it for the better one. how likely am to get this from them, since it is > 28 days old, and works fine.

i really like the guy, he has helped me out alot with any questions i have had but this error has cost me so much time, money and stress. And i still haven't got a system which means i now haven't worked for 5 weeks and counting.

i feel like all this was easily avoidable by just checking the hardware installed during/after installation. if ebuyer decide to not upgrade my MB would i be within my rights to ask him to pay for it

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Well it all sounds rather informal so I don't know where you stand if you want to really blame him.

I guess I don't know enough about the database you are trying to query but throwing hardware at this isn't necessarily the best solution here. A better database query / application tweak will likely have bigger impact than the speed differences between SSDs in RAID connected by SATA2 or SATA3.