Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire question, drivers only on one card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2011 7:00:21 PM

I recently added a 2nd 5870, and it seems to work fine. I just noticed, however, that in GPU-Z that the first card has the current Catalyst drivers but the second card is listed as driver version atiumdag 8.831.2.0/Win7 64. Is this OK or is there a way to make sure both cards have the ATI drivers?

Also in GPU-z the first card's page under crossfire says "Enabled (2 GPUs)" but on the 2nd cards page it says "Disabled")
April 5, 2011 7:08:47 PM

gorgot said:
I recently added a 2nd 5870, and it seems to work fine. I just noticed, however, that in GPU-Z that the first card has the current Catalyst drivers but the second card is listed as driver version atiumdag 8.831.2.0/Win7 64. Is this OK or is there a way to make sure both cards have the ATI drivers?

Also in GPU-z the first card's page under crossfire says "Enabled (2 GPUs)" but on the 2nd cards page it says "Disabled")

Also, Crossfire is enabled in CCC.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 5, 2011 7:24:44 PM

Every time I added a new AMD/ATI card to my system, I had to uninstall then re-install the drivers to get it to work completely. Download the latest drivers from the AMD site. Make sure you use the 'Express Uninstall' option when uninstalling. Then install the drivers. Once you install the drivers, it will automatically enable crossfire.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2011 7:37:43 PM

Where in the CCC is the express uninstall?
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:52:15 PM

Also just to test it, I'm playing a game now and the 2nd card does take some of the load but not all of it. The main card seems to take 80-90 percent GPU load and the 2nd one takes 8 percent in some spots and up to 40 percent.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2011 8:45:59 PM

Use driversweeper to remove your ATI graphics drivers and CCC. Then reboot and install the new drivers you pre-downloaded to your desktop beforehand.

Some games don't benefit from crossfire/sli, some don't scale well.
m
l
April 6, 2011 2:24:40 AM

I just uninstalled the drivers and CCC, then rebooted and reinstalled. Now GPU-z sees both cards as having the currently drivers, however, CCC will no longer let me click enable crossfire and hit apply. I check the box, hit apply, and the box unchecks.
m
l
April 6, 2011 2:56:48 AM

Update, just needed a reboot. However, now the situation is exactly the same as when I started. I ran GPU-Z while playing BC2, it is using the 2nd card, but the load on the first is about 90-100 percent and the load on the 2nd is about 40%. Is this typical?
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 6, 2011 11:53:25 AM

gorgot said:
Where in the CCC is the express uninstall?

You do this through Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a program and choose ATI Catalyst. Then you'll be prompted for which type of uninstall you want to perform. That's when you choose the "express" option.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 6, 2011 11:58:40 AM

gorgot said:
Update, just needed a reboot. However, now the situation is exactly the same as when I started. I ran GPU-Z while playing BC2, it is using the 2nd card, but the load on the first is about 90-100 percent and the load on the 2nd is about 40%. Is this typical?

That is pretty unusual for that game. When I was running 3 5850s they would all get up into the 90s with regard to GPU utilization in BC2. Did you log the GPU-z information for the second card or are you just looking at the load meter after you're done? How can you tell the second card is only at 40% while playing?

Also, what kind of motherboard and processor do you have?
m
l
April 6, 2011 8:28:16 PM

I would alt-tab out of BC2 while in the middle of a battle and check GPU-Z. I just did it again and it's the same, 90% load on the first card, 40% on the second. Maybe it just doesn't need any more? The frames seemed stable. Crysis Warhead, it seemed, was using 0% of the second card.

The mobo is a Gigabyte 790xt and the processor is an AMD x4955 @ 3.2ghz. Not overclocked.

m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 7, 2011 9:53:56 AM

gorgot said:
I would alt-tab out of BC2 while in the middle of a battle and check GPU-Z. I just did it again and it's the same, 90% load on the first card, 40% on the second. Maybe it just doesn't need any more? The frames seemed stable. Crysis Warhead, it seemed, was using 0% of the second card.

The mobo is a Gigabyte 790xt and the processor is an AMD x4955 @ 3.2ghz. Not overclocked.

The cards will run evenly, especially with BC2, when crossfire is working correctly.

When you alt-tab out, your second GPU load will automatically drop. Use the log file instead of the alt-tab method. When you're in the Windows environment, the second card will go inactive. It's probably maintaining some kind of load just because the game's running in the background. Just turn logging on and look at the log file after playing BC2 for 5-10 minutes. You should see both GPUs in the 90s at points. If they're not, you could have something else going on. Let us know.

m
l
April 7, 2011 10:17:12 PM

I don't know if I had it log properly, it gave me a log that I presume was the 2nd card, where the average was in the 40s and the highest it topped out at was about 58.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 8, 2011 12:32:16 AM

gorgot said:
I don't know if I had it log properly, it gave me a log that I presume was the 2nd card, where the average was in the 40s and the highest it topped out at was about 58.

That is consistent with your alt-tab number. Very strange though that the second card is running with a lower load.

Try this... Swap the video card slots. keep the same power connections on the same cards, but move the first to the second slot and the second to the first slot. Run it that way and see if the second card (formerly the first card) still gives you the issue. Before doing so, uninstall the drivers. The drivers don't like when you swap slots so they don't consistently give you crossfire performance without re-installing them. Once you have the cards swapped around, re-install the drivers and generate another log file for card 2.

GPUz will give you a log for whichever card you happen to be monitoring in windows before starting a game so make sure you're looking at the second card when you start up BC2.
m
l
!