Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is an ASRock Z77 compatible with Ivy Bridge i5 3570k?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 3, 2012 10:38:17 AM

Hey all.

I was just wondering, as the title says - Is the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 compatible with an Intel i5 3570k Ivy Bridge CPU?

Also, is this a good motherboard?
a c 145 V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 10:51:12 AM

yes it is compatible. That chipset and that CPU were released around the same time and were designed to work with eachother.

ASRock makes decent motherboards. Not the best but they get the job done
Related resources
June 3, 2012 11:05:38 AM

Pinhedd said:
yes it is compatible. That chipset and that CPU were released around the same time and were designed to work with eachother.

ASRock makes decent motherboards. Not the best but they get the job done

Sweet, so it will work just as well with Sandy Bridge?

Thanks
June 3, 2012 11:31:37 AM

^simple answer-yes.
June 3, 2012 11:32:34 AM

hellfire24 said:
^simple answer-yes.

Cool thanks
June 3, 2012 11:38:24 AM

if you are done then please select any best answer to mark the thread as 'solved'
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 11:44:55 AM

hellfire24 said:
if you are done then please select any best answer to mark the thread as 'solved'

feh, i wouldn't expect much, they couldn't even click on a link but asked another question . . .
why can't people do their own research?

Best solution

a c 145 V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 12:01:51 PM

Anonymous said:
feh, i wouldn't expect much, they couldn't even click on a link but asked another question . . .

If they do that then what am I going to do all night?
June 3, 2012 12:03:56 PM

^best answer to that LOL
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2012 12:08:36 PM

^ +1!
June 4, 2012 2:43:40 AM

Best answer selected by steve695.
June 4, 2012 2:44:21 AM

Anonymous said:

I clicked the links I just didn't fully understand them, sorry.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 3:07:23 AM

steve695 said:
I clicked the links I just didn't fully understand them, sorry.

oh, i do suggest you go look again. it is VERY helpful to understand a supported cpu list for a motherboard and a review of it.

great choice on best answer :) 
June 4, 2012 3:47:48 AM

Anonymous said:
oh, i do suggest you go look again. it is VERY helpful to understand a supported cpu list for a motherboard and a review of it.

great choice on best answer :) 

Haha I agree.

Ok I will take another look, however, I actually found an Asus P8Z77-V LK which has that Lucid Virtu MVP thing, it costs about $30 more than the ASRock Z77, but it's probably worth it for the increased graphics performance.

I think it also has 3 SLI slots where the ASRock has 2. I don't think I will ever need more than 2 video cards but it's still nice to have.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 4:59:15 AM

steve695 said:
Haha I agree.

Ok I will take another look, however, I actually found an Asus P8Z77-V LK which has that Lucid Virtu MVP thing, it costs about $30 more than the ASRock Z77, but it's probably worth it for the increased graphics performance.

I think it also has 3 SLI slots where the ASRock has 2. I don't think I will ever need more than 2 video cards but it's still nice to have.

the third pci x16 slot runs in x4 mode, not very good for SLI. though i am a bit of a fan of asus and would agree its a better motherboard.
June 4, 2012 5:32:27 AM

Anonymous said:
the third pci x16 slot runs in x4 mode, not very good for SLI. though i am a bit of a fan of asus and would agree its a better motherboard.

Oh, well I only plan on running 2 video cards anyway.

Will the SLI be good with 2 cards?
June 4, 2012 5:37:59 AM

^yup,just make sure it is on x16/x8.
June 4, 2012 5:41:14 AM

hellfire24 said:
^yup,just make sure it is on x16/x8.

Expansion Slots
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

I got that from the spec list on Asus website.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 5:44:11 AM

running an IB cpu will turn those x8,x8 into x16,x16 pci 2.0 standard.

in other words doubling the bandwidth with pci 3.0 will boost those.
June 4, 2012 5:51:03 AM

Anonymous said:
running an IB cpu will turn those x8,x8 into x16,x16 pci 2.0 standard.

in other words doubling the bandwidth with pci 3.0 will boost those.

What's an IB CPU? Is the i5-3570k IB?

Is pci 3.0 that a program? Easy to do?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 5:57:55 AM

steve695 said:
What's an IB CPU? Is the i5-3570k IB?

Is pci 3.0 that a program? Easy to do?

Thanks

yes the i5-3570K is an IB (ivy bridge)

pci 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 is a standard for the bandwidth, or data rate, that goes along the copper to the slot.

here is a wiki article:
PCI Express

gleen what you want to but pay attention to the History and revisions section.

more correctly i should say pci-E . . .
June 4, 2012 6:13:08 AM

Anonymous said:
yes the i5-3570K is an IB (ivy bridge)

pci 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 is a standard for the bandwidth, or data rate, that goes along the copper to the slot.

here is a wiki article:
PCI Express

gleen what you want to but pay attention to the History and revisions section.

more correctly i should say pci-E . . .

Oh how noob of me, I didn't realise IB was a definition for Ivy Bridge lol.

Sorry but I really don't understand bandwidth.

I don't understand the technical's and I don't even understand the first paragraph of that wiki article. Sorry I know you're trying to help but I am completely new to all this and have never been very good with computers. All I have a list of parts that I am going to buy and I am confident that I will be able to put them all together when I have them, with some help from my friend who has built a computer before.

After many threads and questions, all I really need to know now is if that Motherboard will run 1 and eventually 2 GTX 670 graphics cards. And also if it I can add another 8GB of ram to it later on.

On a side note, the last 2 things I need to know are if a Cooler Master Hypo EVO 12 will keep an i5 3570k cool and the difference out of the several brands that have "GTX 670" in their title. I'll make another thread about that if I need to.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 6:25:13 AM

sorry i didn't mean to overwhelm you, it is a lot of information to digest. if you can understand that pci-E 3.0 doubles the amount of data throughput from pci-E 2.0 your good. :)  its like turning a 2 lane highway into a 4 lane highway.

the motherboard is an excellent choice to run two 760s in SLI and a hyper evo will be more than sufficient at keeping a i5-3570K cool.

there are a lot of different "flavors" of 670s that different manufacturers have. the best advise i could give you is pay attention to what warranty you get and what kind of customer service they have when you look at a card from one specific manufacturer.
June 4, 2012 6:33:31 AM

Anonymous said:
sorry i didn't mean to overwhelm you, it is a lot of information to digest. if you can understand that pci-E 3.0 doubles the amount of data throughput from pci-E 2.0 your good. :)  its like turning a 2 lane highway into a 4 lane highway.

the motherboard is an excellent choice to run two 760s in SLI and a hyper evo will be more than sufficient at keeping a i5-3570K cool.

there are a lot of different "flavors" of 670s that different manufacturers have. the best advise i could give you is pay attention to what warranty you get and what kind of customer service they have when you look at a card from one specific manufacturer.

Nah you're all good, I'm slowly learning :p  Your help is appreciated.

Will I be able to turn pci-2.0 into pci-3.0 through a program?

I'm assuming you meant to type two 670's? I am only going to run one for now and I will probably buy a second one at the end of the year.

Do all of the brands that have "GTX 670" in the name work with SLI?
I have seen them under Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and more. Do I have to have 2 of the same brand for SLI to work? The Asus ones seem hard to get a hold of.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 6:39:30 AM

the PCI controller on the CPU will automatically make your board pci 3.0. nothing to do put drop in the chip.
you can use different cards from different manufacturers for SLI. the only requirement is that they are both gtx 670s. but you cannot SLI a gtx 670 with a gtx 570.

ok?
June 4, 2012 6:45:05 AM

Anonymous said:
the PCI controller on the CPU will automatically make your board pci 3.0. nothing to do put drop in the chip.
you can use different cards from different manufacturers for SLI. the only requirement is that they are both gtx 670s. but you cannot SLI a gtx 670 with a gtx 570.

ok?

Got it, thanks.

Obviously it would work out better if they were matching brands. Cool, yeah I new that both cars had to be the same number, just wasn't sure if they had to be the same brand.

Thanks again.

All I have to do now is buy everything and put it all together.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 6:51:38 AM

sweet
good luck! :) 
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 7:20:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!