AMD Grabs Guinness World Record for Clock Speed with AMD FX Processor

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2011 5:43:44 PM

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/09/09/guinness/

i wonder if people will still claim it is delayed because of low clock speeds lol

More about : amd grabs guinness world record clock speed amd processor

September 13, 2011 5:54:59 PM

High clock speeds don't necessarily translate into greater performance than the competition but we can certainly hope!!! I saw AMD's post on twitter last night and was hoping they were releasing bulldozer but alas this is good news too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2011 7:01:58 PM

That's hot!
m
l
Related resources
a c 295 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 13, 2011 7:31:13 PM

Awesome but impractical, who wants to play around with the liquid nitrogen cooling? Also being able to overclock to ridiculous heights does not necessarily translate to great performance, I believe a Celeron previously held the record for highest overclock.
m
l
September 13, 2011 7:40:52 PM

it does say they got it to over 5 gig on air. and if bulldozer is the BIGGER brother of brazos, a 5 gig bigger badder version of brazos might just translate into performance
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2011 8:04:10 PM

No actually it's COOL - very cool - literally !
m
l
September 13, 2011 8:19:37 PM

Just give us the opportunity to buy. That is all I'm asking.
m
l
a c 322 à CPUs
a c 112 À AMD
September 13, 2011 8:31:34 PM

Grats to the AMD OC Team. Well done!
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2011 10:42:29 PM

5 Ghz on air is nice....if it matches at least the performance of SB at 4.5 GHz on air....
m
l
September 14, 2011 7:26:23 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Awesome but impractical, who wants to play around with the liquid nitrogen cooling? Also being able to overclock to ridiculous heights does not necessarily translate to great performance, I believe a Celeron previously held the record for highest overclock.

yeah, i have seen a celeron is running at 3.7 ghz :sol:  :sol:  :sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 11:05:27 AM

And I can get a Honda Civic to 260/mph in under 4 seconds...if I drop it from a height of 388 feet.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 12:42:26 PM

No, you can't.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:21:25 PM

We pretty much now know that it's going to burn the PII so it'll be competitive alright.. unlocked an all...wager we'll see some impressive numbers. Price is looking on the upside to...AMD have done great work in supporting their products after the 939/940 debarcle and the TLB delemma of the first Phenoms. The smoother the transition to the new chip the better the uptake will be, so if by taking their time they get this right it in itself will be a big win. I see in the CPU Z page that the socket was an AM3+ so I thought that was very interesting...will BD run in AM3 boards...now that just might really be something.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:03:06 PM

humphreybot said:
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/09/09/guinness/

i wonder if people will still claim it is delayed because of low clock speeds lol

who's need that raw gigahertz frequency when the clock for clock performance and ipc are low to extreme...

Gflops +mips/ipc+bus bandwidth+ cache latency would be more logical to determine processor's single threading power and single thread to multi threading scaling. not raw GHZ + more core! because cpu aint cheap@ss like radeon cayman series.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 4:19:27 PM

Almost sounds like AMD is doing P4 marketing.

Big numbers.

Big frequency.

Lots of cores.

Meow :3.
m
l
September 14, 2011 11:31:04 PM

Look, i dont want to Worry anybody whom has gone to Micro center and taken a 2600k or a 2500k and MB at Fantastic Prices!, becuase there great chips but, ITS ALL HAPPENING FOR A REASON. The Bulldozers belive it or not are going to sail past the 2600k with out even breaking a sweat!. Im a 2600k owner and am very, very happy with it @4.5 gigs with memory xmp2000 solid and stable...to know i sold my 990fx MB becuase i got sick of 3.8 gigs on my 1090T and tired of waiting for Bulldozer. So ill be Sucker No.1 for everybody else..a bit like Jesus dieing for your sins..Aymen!.
m
l
September 14, 2011 11:36:15 PM

Then on the other hand...990fx has a NB? is am3+ and can take old gen CPU's....has a IMC of only 1866?.

So whats all this Garbage about Brand new Archicture? Im sorry but how can that be? When the chipset still requires a NB to opperate HT and FSB? Im not a master of deduction and can barley spell to be honest but....i sold my 990fx and went intel becuase the BS just doesn't add up.Maybe when the CPU is realesed and these tech forums can run some tests well know which way to go as consumers, but the huge drop in Micro center prices on 2600k and 2500k smells very, very fishy guys. I went for it, and like i said previous, am a World apart happy over the 1090T i left behind, served me well old boy.

m
l
September 14, 2011 11:46:08 PM

but for this INTEL Vs AMD Horse-crap...get a life people! i own AMD GPU's and there great! im sure BD will be great, infact AMD are great! Austins a cool place too. But my 2600k is as solid as a rock, my FPS on games has gone up like 30-40% easy!.

DDR3 2000xmp is great!

You see, how can you implicate 5.1 gigs on air, with a NB allready like a pizza oven(as it was on the 990fx sabertooth) when your IMC is bottle necking at 1866, unless of course it takes a healthy overclock with-out to much HEAT!...i think this is where AMD are trying to over come, Ive got a feeling these CPU's are HOT and High voltage at the moment..so there re-spinning and re-spinning until there acceptable for realese. And why not..Phenom 1 was Junk Phenom 2 was great..but everybody complained about being sold the Phenom 1..so there just not doing that again, is all.Give AMD there moment of Glory, they broke 8.4 gigs on Cryptonite or some other stuff on 2 cores active only for just long enough for the thing to post cpu-z, how this is going to effect the finished product at hom eor offfice level we will all have to wait and see. If they get 5.1 gigs on air as standard at 265 bucks a pop..this will explaine why SB is plumiting in price at Micro-center, not that it isn't a great deal.
m
l
September 15, 2011 12:27:51 AM

amdfangirl said:
Almost sounds like AMD is doing P4 marketing.

Big numbers.

Big frequency.

Lots of cores.

Meow :3.

even p4 had better position during its time..... at least the top line extreme series did put a fight with athlon fx but today 8150 cant even put a scratch on i3 2100 despite having 2x clock rate and 4x core.....
m
l
September 15, 2011 9:22:24 AM

:bounce:  ..that suits me, let's have the battle of the century...an OCed POS BD against the mighty i3. But since this tech is so good, let's extend the rule that the i3 is not allowed to use any AMD or Nvidia hardware, after all we wouldn't want to incumber Intel with any inferior hardware now would we?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2011 1:30:08 PM

Nah ah!

Phenom II X6 1100T > Core i5 2500K

Which benchmark?

Power consumption.
m
l
September 16, 2011 7:50:35 AM

Quote:
The irony of your post is that currently, for gaming, an i3 is better than anythingAMD makes.

...of course they do, that's why we are running Windows 7.0 today instead of Ms Vista.....I must miss understand the word "superior" obviously.... :na: 
m
l