What i need to upgrade?? CPU OR RAM OR MOBO? Im on tight Budget!

my pc

CPU: Intel e5200 2.50ghz
RAM: 2gb ddr
mobo: LGA 775 PCI-E 1.0
GTS 450 FTW EVGA
1280 by 1024 LCD
FSB 500watts it has 80 EFFIENCE

If im upgrade my CPU ?? my plan is QUAD CORE Q6600 2.40ghz

and GET a 4gb ddr2??

and i keep using my mobo.

What you think??
5 answers Last reply
More about what upgrade mobo tight budget
  1. What do you use the PC for, from most to least? How much can you spend on this upgrade?

Example:

1) Non-MMO gaming
    2) MMO gaming
    3) Web surfing
    4) Word/Powerpoint/etc...
  2. I don't see a problem with what you are wanting to do. I would make sure that your motherboard will support the Q6600. Might need a bios upgrade. You mentioned the socket type, but not the Mfg or the model # of the motherboard.

For the memory, are you purchasing a 4 gig kit to replace what you currently have or you purchasing 2 gigs to add to what you already have? Reason I asked is due to limitations of memory slots, some people have to buy a whole new kit to replace what they currently have.

When you said you are on a tight budget, how much are you willing to spend?
  3. @Count_rugen IM MORE ON GAMING MID RANGE GAMES!

@cscottm90 heres my mobo = http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2889#sp

I see the Q6600 2.4ghz on CPU SUPPORT LIST
  4. Get q6600, more RAM and a good cooler for the CPU and you will have a great system. Look on ebay for the parts. I had q6600 and it is best quad for the money. A new GPU next year will keep your system going for a long time.
  5. What is your problem?
    Why do you think you need to upgrade?

As a rule, the graphics card is more important than the cpu for gaming.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
    If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
    If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Most games will only use two cores, perhaps three. Upgrading to a quad may not be as effective as you hope. You might do better to overclock your E5200 a bit. It is a free upgrade.

I also think that with only 2gb of ram, you may have a problem there.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM