XFX Radeon Hd 5670 htpc 1080p watching streaming tv

mpacer24

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hello,

Ok, I don’t do any gaming, just need to upgrade the
video card to connect my PC to my HDTV through HDMI. That’s the only purpose.

My current setup:
Dell XPS 410
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz
6GB Ram
Windows Vista 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit (use both)
375W PSU (came with the computer)
XFX GeForce 8500GT 256mb or 512mb (don’t remember
exactly at the moment)

The reason I want to upgrade is because I want to use the hdmi to connect to my HDTV to get video/audio together though the hdmi to the TV. At
the moment, I’m using DVI to HDMI so can only get video to TV.

Main use:
I have slingbox at my brother’s place and would like
to stream live tv to my place though the pc (while using the TV as a monitor of course). And to watch movies. Ill be getting video streams from the slingplayer everyday and many times during the day since this will be the only way for me to watch cable tv.

I’m considering getting an average/above average card that will perform an excellent job at doing this, so I’m thinking in buyingthe XFX Radeon 5670 HD, either the 512mb or 1gb since it’s only $10 more.

Will this card perform a good job in my PC for my needs?
Also, I believe I don’t’ need a new PSU, correct?. 512mb or 1gb? I heard for my purpose the 512mb is enough. I do want ti be able to watch 1080p content with no lag/problems.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

You'll be fine with the HD 5670 512MB. The 1GB version really does nothing video wise or gaming wise. Actually, if you want an extra 1 frame per second in gaming (at best), then go ahead and spend the extra $10. Since you don't play games and I really doubt anyone can tell the difference between 49FPS and 50FPS, then the extra $10 is a waste. Better to use it for a 6 pack of beer.

The video card will not be the problem when watching videos. For that, your primary concern should be the SlingBox.