Best way to prevent ESD when building a new system?

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hey all,

So tomorrow I'm going to be doing my first system build and I'm just wondering what will be the best way to try and reduce the risk of me shocking my new system while putting it together.
Originally I was looking at buying an anti-static wrist band but after going to a couple of different computer shops (none of which sold them) and talking to a guy at one of the shops, It doesn't seem so necessary.

So at the moment I'm looking at building my computer in my kitchen (wooden floor and glass table) and will just be touching the PSU/case every minute or so.

The thing that I'm not so sure about though is whether I should leave the PSU (It's a Corsair HX750) plugged into the wall but with both the switch at the wall and on the PSU turned off or whether it's better to have the PSU completely unplugged from the wall when installing parts in the case?

Thanks

I always have the PSU unplugged when im working on a system, techically having it plugged in brings the case to earth ground, but the PSU and case have enough metal to provide a fairly stable floating ground. When i built mine i put the PSU in first and most of the time when im working in a machine my arm is on the case anyway so im constantly grounded that way. Its actually reasonably difficult to kill something with ESD, and if its summer and its humid in your area you arent going to be able to build up static well so the risk is even lower.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Would it be safer leaving the PSU plugged in but with both wall and PSU switched off though? I'm just a little anxious when it comes to ESD these days as I've managed to fry a GPU in ther past from it...

Myself, I'm the opposite of Hunter315. When I build a systerm up, normally kitchen/dinning room, I use an antistatic mat that is attached to the ground wire at the AC wallplate. The first component in is the psu which is plugged in to a power strip with both turned off. And yes I wear a ground strap. Hunter315 is correct as humidity rises above 50% the ability to develop a charge drops off considereably. Beleow 30% it can be deadly to components.

Just google ESD, some good info on the net - Myself - every two years I have to be recertified.