Eyefinity 5870 cooler removal?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I have a 5870 with a bad fan, its making very loud noises and I have only had it for two months. If I was to RMA the card it would cost $75, I thought I would just buy a new cooler for $50 and get a win win situation.

HOWEVER, I have removed all screws and the cooler/ plastic cover and fan will still not lift off. Any suggestions?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Sapphire.

$30 for me to ship it to them with tracking and insurance. $25-$45 depending on my address for return shipping. They would send me a refurbished card for my new card. I would recommend to stay away from them because they are located in Asia, so the waiting times would also be horrible.

Thats why I'm taking matters into my own hands.....

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Well the card itself is great. I have worked with two of them (not at the same time) both seem to work. The one I have now is my brothers and after a month the fan gave out and I think the bearing is shot and it was making a whole bunch of vibrations and noise. Not normal fan noise but crackling, bearing shot, loud grinding noise. The fan still currently keeps the card idle at 29 and max 45-75 depending on the fans settings.

I'll just wait for him to cough up some cash and get a new cooler. Any suggestions?

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I would not go near a Zalman VF3000 given the amount of complaints on Newegg and forums about it bricking your card...

The Twin Turbo Pro did a good job with both my old 5850 and 6870s, very quiet @ 100% - generally temperatures kept below 60oC @ 22oC ambient. If you get it make sure you heat the adhesive tape on the memory heatsinks with a hairdryer before attaching, otherwise the adhesion can be slightly inadequate/iffy.

I've got Accelero Xtreme Plus's on my 6950 crossfire setup (unlocked to 6970s) and they are a big step up from the Twin Turbo Pro also (also the thermal glue is a step up from the tape) - we're talking <65oC top card furmark, <55oC bottom card (22oC ambient), whilst still being very quiet and thats heavily overclocked / unlocked shaders. Just be wary of case clearance as they are massive (my Raven RV-02e needed some alterations to fit them)

Bricking the card? Sorry but a cooler can't do that. At most the people didn't put the VRM/VRAM sinks on properly - if at all - and overheated them when OCing. Pretty much ALL those passive sinks come with shitty double sided tape. I had issues with them falling off so I used thermal adhesive. Good as gold now. Different cooler of course, but the passive sinks are all basically the same.

Anyway of course research is good but newegg users tend to be retards at least half the time.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

okay I'll get the Zalman VF3000a and some thermal adhesive and some extra heatsinks...

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

I have looked at all my options and have been recommended the Zalman VF3000 or the accelro twin turbo arctic cooler on another thread. Both look fine. This is not for an OC "maybe a small amount" But its my brothers computer that had a crapped out stock cooler. Were just sticking it to the man and fixing it ourselves for cheaper...

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Get the Accell turbo. Its a complete kit. You do t wanna be messing around with bits of other parts to complete a kit.
And the one who said bricking the card is impossible. Reviewers at guru3 managed to damage their card. We are talking about guys with years and years of hardware experience and handling all kinds of equipment. So don't assume

I don't know what one to get. They both look and install the same. I'm going to buy the cooler tomorrow. The arctic cooler looks good, so does the Zalman VF3000. I will probably end up getting the arctic cooler as I have read into it a bit more.

Both are complete kits but, I will still need extra heatsinks for the back of the card where there is 8 more ram chips than there are heatsinks because my bro has the 2gb eyefinity edition. I'm not really mixing and matching parts, I just need extra heatsinks for the back of the card. I'm also going to pick up some arctic silver thermal adhesive because I have been reading a lot saying they fall off with the standard thermal tape.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Get the Accell turbo. Its a complete kit. You do t wanna be messing around with bits of other parts to complete a kit.
And the one who said bricking the card is impossible. Reviewers at guru3 managed to damage their card. We are talking about guys with years and years of hardware experience and handling all kinds of equipment. So don't assume

I purchased the accel turbo pro today!

Got my motherboard ordered as well Dadiggle!!!

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Good choice, make sure you heat the thermal tape with a hairdryer (till heatsink is hot to touch) before you stick them on as it helps the adhesion greatly.

Only the small VRM heatsinks really do better with thermal glue, RAM chips stick perfectly once heated.

Also be wary of the long RAM heatsink when is indented to allow the heatpipes to pass over it - it has to be positioned perfectly in order to not clash with the heatpipes.