Sign in with
Your question

Netgear n600 windows xp

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 9, 2010 12:27:04 PM

I have a brand new Netgear N600 wireless router, plugged it into my switch, fired up my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7 and it 'just worked'.

I also have a Dell D600 from work (and I don't have admin rights on it, so my troubleshooting ability is limited), it is running Windows XP Pro, SP1. It detects my wireless network, says it is connected but DHCP fails so the Dell wireless adapter doesn't get an IP address. Anyone know what might be going wrong?

More about : netgear n600 windows

December 9, 2010 1:01:19 PM

systemaddict said:
I have a brand new Netgear N600 wireless router, plugged it into my switch, fired up my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7 and it 'just worked'.

I also have a Dell D600 from work (and I don't have admin rights on it, so my troubleshooting ability is limited), it is running Windows XP Pro, SP1. It detects my wireless network, says it is connected but DHCP fails so the Dell wireless adapter doesn't get an IP address. Anyone know what might be going wrong?

It could be a wireless security issue - the D600 may not be able to recognise WPA2 security. Chances are that the settings from the work network are IP specific and don't allow DHCP to be set to automatic so you wll need to speak with your network administrator.

Whatever is causing this, it's protecting you from going online and that can't be bad if you're still in the land of XP SP1.

December 9, 2010 5:33:21 PM

Just RTFM'd:

"Prepare the following before you set up your router make sure that:

• You are using a PC with either a Mac operating system or a Windows operating system
(Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, or Windows XP with Service Pack 2);"

Rats!

SysA

Related resources
December 10, 2010 12:13:50 PM

Sorry ask the person with the rights to add the service pack!
December 10, 2010 12:34:03 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Sorry ask the person with the rights to add the service pack!

One might also say, skip it and go straight to SP3. :D 
!