Physical memory usage way than the amount used by the Windows \'Images\' or Prog

Hello. I opened Task Manager and added up the memory usage of all of my programs and it came out to be less than 39 MB, less than 2% of my 2GB of RAM. My Physical memory usage was at 41% or 820 MB. I read that an onboard gpu can use 250 to 500 MB of Ram and using Windows 32 bit can use 500 to 750 MB. I doubt my Sony Vaio GM45/47 has an onboard GPU. I wanted to know could the unexplained usage be caused by malware. Also, if this is common to Windows Vista 32 bit, is it a problem on every 32 bit operating system?
I have Windows Vista 32 bit Service Pack 2. When I took the screen shot below I had recently closed Google Chrome and waited for all 'Image Names' to disappear from Task Manager.
2 answers Last reply
More about physical memory usage amount windows images prog
  1. click the "show processes from all users" button...

You can clearly see it says 73 processes and you're only looking at about 20
  2. unksol said:
    click the "show processes from all users" button...

You can clearly see it says 73 processes and you're only looking at about 20

That explained it. I closed a resource intensive svchost program without any clear problems. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Task Manager Physical Memory