Sign in with
Your question

New build hits snag

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2011 12:16:15 AM

OK, so I have the hardware together, now comes the process of installing software.

So technically this should be the easy part but there are a few questions.

First, I have the Win7 (64 bit) update for Vista. Do I need to install Vista on the machine first and then the update over it or can I just plop the Cin7 disc in and install?

Next, registering software. The system I built is a standalone as I intend to use it for CG work only. However I will need to register all the applications (as well as the OS) before i can use them. I have a USB modem which I could just insert but that would require having to install the modem app. and a bunch of network security software on the workstation first since I trust IE's security as much as I do a politician's promises.

My other thought would be to use my notebook as the "go between" and network it to the workstation as it already has a browser (FF) and all the security and internet software installed. I know this would require a network card (not a big expense in an of itself) though I wonder how to go about this and if there is any additional software I would also need

More about : build hits snag

a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2011 9:26:58 PM

You might need to install Vista before W7. My student download version of W7 Pro installed fine on a clean (i.e. new) SSD. If you try W7 and it fails, just install Vista, but I would do a custom install to get rid of the Vista install.

I don't quite understand the second part. Why can't you register when you install the programs (like all applications)?

m
l
June 19, 2011 10:05:10 PM

boiler1990 said:
You might need to install Vista before W7. My student download version of W7 Pro installed fine on a clean (i.e. new) SSD. If you try W7 and it fails, just install Vista, but I would do a custom install to get rid of the Vista install.

I don't quite understand the second part. Why can't you register when you install the programs (like all applications)?

...the workstation is deigned as a totally standalone system It has no net access. I designed it this way for two reasons:

Devoting the maximum amount of processor resources to rendering tasks (it will not even have any "office productivity" software or games on it)

An added level of security against intrusion and infection.

I can install the proggies and utilities on it with no trouble via flash drives, but to register them, I need to go online to the various vendors to enter the serials/product codes. To do so from the workstation means I would also need to install a completely redundant suite of security utilities (which already are on the notebook) to protect it. Furthermore the first time I go online, I would have to do so via IE which (in my opinion), security-wise, is like putting a screen door on a submarine.

If I could use the notebook as some sort of a proxy terminal, I would have all my security software, utilities, and FF already available. I'm just not sure how to set this up.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 10:06:35 PM

boiler1990 said:

...the workstation is deigned as a totally standalone system It has no net access. I designed it this way for two reasons:

Devoting the maximum amount of processor resources to rendering tasks (it will not even have any "office productivity" software or games on it)

I can install the proggies and utilities on it with no trouble via flash drives, but to register them, I need to go online to the various vendors to enter the serials/product codes. To do so from the workstation means I would also need to install a completely redundant suite of security utilities (which already are on the notebook) to protect it. Furthermore the first time I go online, I would have to do so via IE which (in my opinion), security-wise, is like putting a screen door on a submarine.

If I could use the notebook as some sort of a proxy terminal, I would have all my security software, utilities, and FF already available. I'm just not sure how to set this up.
m
l
June 19, 2011 10:08:32 PM

[having some trouble getting the reply to post properly]

m
l
June 19, 2011 10:09:29 PM

..duplicate post
m
l
!