Sign in with
Your question

New build for a friend

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2011 12:46:45 AM

Just put together a Newegg parts list for a buddy of mine. Thought I'd pitch it to you guys to make sure I didn't screw anything up too bad ;) 

Intel Core i3 550
G Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x2 GB
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V (mATX LGA1156)
ASUS CuCore Radeon 5770
Western Digital Blue 320GB
Antec Earthwatts 380w
Cooler Master Elite 430 (window)
Logitech G110
Razer Abyssus
Acer 20" LCD

This all came out to $715 after coupon codes and shipping; rebates should drop it another ~$50. He's not planning on overclocking. What do you guys think?

More about : build friend

June 19, 2011 6:33:44 AM

We ordered the above list a day or two ago; I brought it here just for confirmation that I did ok building it. I don't really see how "spend $50 more on the video card" is good feedback, though... obviously the system will be "much better," but at the $90 AR price point the 5770 has no competition that I could find - and that's what we wanted to spend on a GPU.

I wish I'd gone with Sandy Bridge now that I've researched it a bit more, but I really like Gigabyte and this motherboard was a steal... Oh well. If he wants to overclock in the future it sounds like this chip will be better than the 2100 anyway.
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2011 6:40:56 AM

From what I understood from your list I thought you meant that you had compiled the list, you just didn't buy the parts yet. I was suggesting the ideal build as the cost would've come out to be the same cept you'd be getting a much better CPU and GPU. Course, my build doesn't include those very expensive peripherals.
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2011 7:05:08 PM

^+1
m
l
!